UPDATE: Kyrie Irving Out for Rest of Season?

The Blue Devils announced their point guard is out indefinitely on Wednesday morning, but sources indicate that Irving’s toe injury is more serious than first anticipated and could put him on the shelf for the next 3-4 weeks or maybe even longer.

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/dukes_irving_could_miss_a_month_with_toe_injury/3755970

Luckily for Duke, their schedule is really weak in December so they should be able to manage just fine without Irving in the lineup.

It also doesn't hurt that they have guys like Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins off of the bench either, both of which would be starters on the majority of teams in the nation.

EDIT: He might be out for the year...

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Top-ranked Duke says freshman point guard Kyrie Irving is out indefinitely with a toe injury, and coach Mike Krzyzewski said there's a possibility it could be for the rest of the season.

Krzyzewski said after Wednesday night's 83-48 win over Bradley that the star guard is being evaluated by doctors at Duke and nationally. The team hopes to learn more about his status in the next week to 10 days, but Krzyzewski called Irving's injury "a serious one."

Irving sat on the bench in street clothes wearing a boot on his right foot to protect the big toe injured in last weekend's win against Butler. Krzyzewski said the team didn't learn of the seriousness of the injury until it returned to campus and that Irving could be out "for a long time."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/12/08/duke.kyrie.irving.injured.ap/index.html#ixzz17bJm4wWU

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I remember hearing, when Seth transferred a couple years ago or whatever, he was supposed to be better than his brother?

Yeah, he went to Duke so he could be looked at by pro scouts more.

I remember hearing, when Seth transferred a couple years ago or whatever, he was supposed to be better than his brother?

Yeah Steph said himself that Seth is a better all around player and more athletic. He was averaging 21PPG as a freshmen two years ago.

They are so freaking strong depth-wise. They lose Irving and they have another great guard coming in to take his spot in Seth Curry. I can promise you that they are going to continue to win like they are right now. One thing about Duke, is that they definitely don't rely on one player to carry them. Practically all of their players could be starters at most other schools.

So, umm....

He might be out for the year...

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Top-ranked Duke says freshman point guard Kyrie Irving is out indefinitely with a toe injury, and coach Mike Krzyzewski said there's a possibility it could be for the rest of the season.

Krzyzewski said after Wednesday night's 83-48 win over Bradley that the star guard is being evaluated by doctors at Duke and nationally. The team hopes to learn more about his status in the next week to 10 days, but Krzyzewski called Irving's injury "a serious one."

Irving sat on the bench in street clothes wearing a boot on his right foot to protect the big toe injured in last weekend's win against Butler. Krzyzewski said the team didn't learn of the seriousness of the injury until it returned to campus and that Irving could be out "for a long time."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/12/08/duke.kyrie.irving.injured.ap/index.html#ixzz17bJm4wWU

:o

• Owner

Not necessarily a detrimental blow to Duke, although this could rule them out as the hand-down favorites this year...but a big one dealt to Irving, that's for sure.

Guess who won't be entering the 2011 Draft?

Not necessarily a detrimental blow to Duke, although this could rule them out as the hand-down favorites this year...but a big one dealt to Irving, that's for sure.

thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the title of this post. i doubt he will want to enter his name into the next draft after missing a ton of time with injury AND with a lockout being threatened.

I still think he might be going into the draft, I just hope he doesn't drop too much. But right now I'd rather him stay at Duke and build up his stock once again.

That really does suck to hear to be honest but I'm sure this gives some of the other guards some playing time and confidence.

• Owner

thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the title of this post. i doubt he will want to enter his name into the next draft after missing a ton of time with injury AND with a lockout being threatened.

Yeah, combined with the lockout, it just wouldn't be a wise decision. I don't think the lockout alone would keep him out of the draft, though. When you're a top 3-5 pick, you're packing up and heading to the pros when you can (most will, anyway).

But the injury will most definitely hurt him in the draft, if he misses the entire season. He would still be a lottery pick, because teams have already seen enough of him...but there's that uncertainty that will linger, and there will be a few teams that decide to pass him up for someone like Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Williams and maybe even Brandon Knight, especially if he doesn't come back at all, even during the tourney.

*sigh* this draft can't possibly get any worse...right?

Call me crazy, but I still think that there is a good possibility of him entering the draft, assuming his position as a top 5 pick stays the same. Scouts were going absolutely gaga over him whenever they watched Duke play and he went from being projected around 7th coming out of high school to 5th after watching him for Team USA in the summer to now 1st after watching him for a month with Duke.

If he misses the entire season it will definitely make him think twice. I don't think it 100% rules him out of the draft, though.