Amir Johnson's Numbers When Playing 24+ Minutes

I was bored and started looking through Amir's game logs to see how productive he has been when receiving more than 28 minutes (changed to 24 after realizing how limited that sample size was) and take a look.

In the 9 games that he has played above 24 minutes he is averaging

14.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 1.2 steals on 62.5 FG% in 28 minutes

(Not taking into consideration that he is the best defender on the team as well)

I know that it isn't a huge sample size and he is still fouling quite a bit, but it just goes to show how good he can actually be when he isn't committing silly fouls and staying on the floor. People were going nuts over his contract in the summer and saying it was a joke to give him that kind of deal, but these kinds of games show that when he is actually on the floor, he is one of the better bench bigs in the game today.

If he ever manages to sort his issues with fouls, he will definitely be worth the contract that he was given.

PS: For those of you interested, here were his numbers last season when he played 24+ minutes:

15.7 points, 6.8 rebounds on 72.6 FG% in 29 minutes

I’ve been a fan of Amir Johnson since he put on a raptor jersey and I was happy that the raptors signed him long term. Amir is still developing and he continues to get better defensively and we’re seeing his offense improving as well. Little things like is mid range jumper to his free throw shooting has improved and the only thing that holds him back is his fouls but for me it’s because he is being aggressive on the defensive end which at times gets him into foul trouble but I do appreciate what he provides on the defensive end whereby I don’t mind the silly fouls he does get from time to time.