Orlando Magic Breakdown

Erick Blasco

Despite criticisms of Orlando’s guard play, Jameer Nelson was the difference in the Magic’s 104-95 victory over the Miami Heat.

In the final 4:35 Nelson:

• Used and then reused the same Dwight Howard screen to create separation to knock down a free throw line jumper
  • Caught Dwayne Wade and Zydrunas Ilgauskas overplaying the right side of a Dwight Howard screen. Nelson simply veered left and hit a scoop layup.
  • Leapt in front of a LeBron James lob pass breaking up a three-on-one break.
  • Pushed the ball in transition drawing defenders before kicking to J.J. Redick for a pump-and-pull jumper.
  • Grabbed a rebound in medium traffic.
  • Closed out hard on an Eddie House three affecting a miss.
  • Sank a jumper over Eddie House deep in the left corner.
  • Faked using a Dwight Howard screen and spinning away, causing Eddie House to foul. Nelson missed both free throws however.
  • Earned a trip to the free throw line with a drive into traffic. This time, Nelson hit both his freebies.
  • On a one-four flat set, Nelson simply isolated Eddie House at the top and blew by him, drawing a foul.
  • Foolishly earned his second technical by jawing with House after the foul, causing him to be disqualified from the game.

Aside from his brainless second technical, Nelson was the difference maker late in turning a tie game into a nine-point win.

However, most of his late success came against the subpar defense of Eddie House, or the putrid defense of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. For the game his numbers were exceptional—7-15 FG, 1-3 3FG, 2-4 FT, 14 AST, 5 TO, 17 PTS—but his numbers in generating halfcourt offense, while respectable were less than gaudy. When the Magic ran screen/roll with Nelson as their primary set, the Magic scored 40 points on 38 possessions, a good but unremarkable number.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/11/26/1837915/orlando-magic-breakdown-despite-nelsons-big-day-orlandos-guard-play

Your articles are everywhere Erick! I was just about to post yet another topic, but you seemed to have beat me to it.

Despite PF Brandon Bass' sterling play, the Magic player who still attracts more trade attention is C Marcin Gortat.

Teams call General Manager Otis Smith and ask about Gortat followed by Bass and PF Ryan Anderson.

"Teams need bigs," Smith said.

The dilemma the Magic are weighing: Is Gortat more valuable to them in the postseason or more valuable to dangle in a trade? If the Magic could pick up another scorer or perimeter defender and an inexpensive big man in a deal, why not?

I say sell.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-schmitz-nba-1212-20101212,0,264304,full.column

So the question is, should they trade Gortat in a package (with possibly Carter) for a proven scorer? After reading your article on the Magic, I think it seems pretty obvious that they should...

It’s this lack of isolation creators that has the Magic a notch below the best teams in the league. Sure Vince Carter is somewhat creative, unselfish isolation player, but he’s a ball-stopper who’s notorious for pathetic postseason performances against elite defenses.

I think that part of your article best summarizes where they stand in the league. They are one or two pieces away in my opinion (despite their success in previous years).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=24dfnax

Throw in a Orlando first rounder this year, and I think Philly would accept.. They clear cap space (Carter has a team option for next year) and receive a couple of prospects in Anderson and Orton. Orlando gets a good sidekick to Howard who can slash and be an extra ball-handler to Nelson. At this point, Iguodala would flourish in Orlando with Howard, Nelson, and Lewis there. He's basically an uber-talented carter at this point. Not to mention they get another capable three point shooter.

I don't know if that trade makes too big a difference. Iggy doesn't space the floor well enough, which will really hurt their offense. They need players who can shoot to allow their spread screen/roll game to work perfectly, and to allow entry passes into Howard. I like Iggy's floor game more than Carter, but he's not much of an iso player either since he has trouble creating his own jumper.

They need a guy like Jason Richardson at the two, or Billups at the point.

Right now, the Magic are one of those very solid teams that will nonetheless lose in five or six to a healthy Boston or Miami.

I don't know if that trade makes too big a difference. Iggy doesn't space the floor well enough, which will really hurt their offense. They need players who can shoot to allow their spread screen/roll game to work perfectly, and to allow entry passes into Howard. I like Iggy's floor game more than Carter, but he's not much of an iso player either since he has trouble creating his own jumper.

They need a guy like Jason Richardson at the two, or Billups at the point.

Right now, the Magic are one of those very solid teams that will nonetheless lose in five or six to a healthy Boston or Miami.

I think spacing the floor with three point shooters would be the least of their worries. They need a slasher, someone who can penetrate in the lanes which leads to kick outs or dump off passes to Howard in the paint.

- Kapono

- Redick

- Lewis

- Pietrus

- Richardson

- Williams

- Duhon

All are capable three point shooters. Just because they lose one three point shooter in Carter (an inconsistent one at that) and receive a slasher doesn't mean spacing the floor will be a huge issue. Let's not forget, Iguodala is a much, much better defender than Vince is.

Oh yeah, and I also believe Iguodala is a more reliable threat in the clutch than Carter is. One of the biggest knocks on this current Magic team is their inability to get it done when it matters the most. Nelson always seems to disappear, Howard isn't a consistent enough scorer to get it done himself, and Lewis and Carter constantly go on shooting slumps and decide to jack up threes regardless. Iguodala can put it on the floor, drive in, or pull up for a midrange jumper, and has hit clutch shots before.

I think spacing the floor with three point shooters would be the least of their worries. They need a slasher, someone who can penetrate in the lanes which leads to kick outs or dump off passes to Howard in the paint.

- Kapono

- Redick

- Lewis

- Pietrus

- Richardson

- Williams

- Duhon

All are capable three point shooters. Just because they lose one three point shooter in Carter (an inconsistent one at that) and receive a slasher doesn't mean spacing the floor will be a huge issue. Let's not forget, Iguodala is a much, much better defender than Vince is.

Oh yeah, and I also believe Iguodala is a more reliable threat in the clutch than Carter is. One of the biggest knocks on this current Magic team is their inability to get it done when it matters the most. Nelson always seems to disappear, Howard isn't a consistent enough scorer to get it done himself, and Lewis and Carter constantly go on shooting slumps and decide to jack up threes regardless. Iguodala can put it on the floor, drive in, or pull up for a midrange jumper, and has hit clutch shots before.

Kapono won't play. No playoff team is going to give minutes to that big a defensive liability. He can't even crack the lineup in Philly.

And with spread screen/roll, everyone has to be able to shoot. It's why the Magic don't run spread screen/roll with Bassin the lineup that often, and run 1-2-2 horns sets instead. With Iggy in, the ball will be funneled to a bad shooter which hurts the offense. The continuity will stop and spacing becomes a major issue. Keep in mind, when you face teams like Boston, the assumption is that the correct play will be made nearly every time against you. The lack of spacing becomes gigantic as closing out hard becomes less of a factor, as does entry passing. It makes it that much easier for a team to pack the paint and defend Howard.

The Magic need an iso player with more guts than Howard, but he must be able to shoot. If not, Orlando will basically be telling teams how to defend them. If I'm controlling the Magic defense, I'm having his man as the main rotator because I'm not concerned with getting burned on helping and failing to recover. If Iggy wants to make more than two out of seven threes against a slightly late but well-coordinated closeout, so be it. And if the closeout is on time, I'll sink a half step farther back to make it more difficult to enter the ball to Howard.

You keep giving Boston, the Lakers, the Mavs, potentially Miami and Chicago these advantages, you're going to suffer for it.

Plus, Nelson is many things, and clutch is one of them. He's one of the guttiest players in the league with the ball in his hands and I have total confidence in him late in games.

how about a deal for Zach Randolph? I heard Memphis wants him gone and Orlando might have the assets to get it done. he would provide the interior scoring they need as well as a guy who could grab ten or more rebounds per game. he also gives them the size and strength they've been lacking at that position for so many years. of course, he's not a great defensive player, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker considering Howard's abilities. acquiring Randolph would give the team a very formidable front court with Randolph, Howard, and Lewis, then they'd have Nelson and whoever else backing them up.

how about a deal for Zach Randolph? I heard Memphis wants him gone and Orlando might have the assets to get it done. he would provide the interior scoring they need as well as a guy who could grab ten or more rebounds per game. he also gives them the size and strength they've been lacking at that position for so many years. of course, he's not a great defensive player, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker considering Howard's abilities. acquiring Randolph would give the team a very formidable front court with Randolph, Howard, and Lewis, then they'd have Nelson and whoever else backing them up.

They'd easily be the best rebounding team in the league, but they'd have to change up the nature of their team. They aren't spread screen/rolling with Z-Bo. He doesn't shoot the three well enough. Plus, he'd suffer from a lack of spacing. Unlike Marc Gasol, Dwight Howard won't be playing the high post.