Best team in the NBA at the moment

*Swish*

In all reality Heat don't even belong in the top 5 right now. Only contending team they beat were the Magic and Jazz,

And the Magic was at the beginning of the year, and I can barely count the Jazz. Any team can beat on a -.500 team. LOL

If they beat the Lakers on Christmas, then we can maybe put them in the top 5, on paper sure, but now NO.

Edited by deestillballin

I honestly do think my Celtics are the best. They're racked up with injuries.Ex: Rajon Rondo who has missed a couplpe games, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq now, Perkins, West etc. But they have the best record in the East and 2nd best in the NBA. Imagine what there record will be when everyone's healthy.

IMO this is the Celtics without a doubt, and I think that will be the case when the playoffs roll around, barring any major injuries. First off, they have an extremely well-balanced offense with a number of guys that can go off on any given night. They are efficient in halfcourt offensive sets, and if you let Rondo get out on the fastbreak they become almost unbeatable. They have a ton of quality frontcourt depth which is imperative in the postseason. Defensively, they are absolutely dominant when they decide to put the clamps on, with no major weaknesses like the Lakers or Heat. They have a deep bench, although they are a bit weak at the wing positions in that regard. They have the perfect coach for the team, they have championship experience, and they have a certain swagger and attitude that is unmatched.

Spurs, Mavs and Heat are the next best at the moment, although the Lakers and Magic will find there way into that group soon enough.

I would say the Mavs are #1, followed by the Celtics at #2. Both teams are 10-0 in there last 10, the Mavs have a longer streak at 12 straight, and have beaten a little better quality opponents. The Spurs got to be up there at #3 with the best record in the league. Miami is up there too, winners of there last 8 games, really got things going after that win over the Cavs. Rounding out the top 5 would have to be the Knicks, they have won 13 of there last 14, and Amare is in full beast mode. Matchup against the Celtics on wednesday will show us where there really at though.

RD, it is possible I am wrong about Kobe this year, but I'll wait several more games to rebuild judgment about Kobe's game. Early in the season, he played bad and Gasol was putting up MVP caliber numbers. Since then, Kobe has played a string of games against bad defensive teams and his numbers went up, while Gasol's worsened from being overplayed. I'd like to see what their numbers are by the half of the season.

Either way, the Lakers are not a perfect machine, and the stars haven't played consistently well.

Whoa. Layman's terms: you just bragged about predicting the last two Lakers championships, basically saying we should listen to you because "it's coming from someone who predicted the last two despite the question marks." Did you not say this?

So I tell you that everyone else predicted those titles, too (how many people actually thought the Lakers weren't going to win them?) and then you say...

LOL, I think so, since they thought the same as you about the Lakers winning it all. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Honestly.

BTW, I talked about my prediction of the past two titles to show that I've seen the Lakers' struggles before, yet still didn't see a reason to think that would mean anything in the end. This year I'm sensing something different.

And I don't recall "everybody" predicting the Lakers would win.

I hope that cleared up whatever you're trying to prove against me. I'm still not sure what it is, or how it would help your argument in any way that would prove that LA still has the best chances at the title.

But, you were referring to the LAL/UTA series in the past AND the fact that Utah always starts off quick and slows down...even though, yes, everyone still thought the Lakers were going to win it all the last two years.

Who is "everyone"?

Anyway, this isn't about team record. The Jazz could have played 30 good teams to start each year, they could have played 30 bad ones. This year they are a different team, and I don't see how the Lakers can beat them when things start coming together for them.

• Owner

Bryant wasn't playing bad early in the season because of the hand, though. He was coming off his knee surgery. He almost missed the home opener. The knee is fine now.

You can't be overplayed just 20-25 games into the season unless you're playing 45 minutes per game AND asked to shoot 20+ times. Gasol has a hamstring issue, the same one he had last year that caused him to miss part of the season (the beginning of it, actually), but it's not bad enough to keep him off the court this time around.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Honestly.

You predicted the last two Lakers championships...but there's no relevance to that because I did as well, and so did many Lakers fans who think we're going to win our third consecutive title. There was no point in you telling anyone you predicted them. Good for you...it doesn't add legitimacy to your current prediction because you're not the only one in that boat.

Anyway, this isn't about team record. The Jazz could have played 30 good teams to start each year, they could have played 30 bad ones. This year they are a different team, and I don't see how the Lakers can beat them when things start coming together for them.

So, with a similar starting record produced in their last 2-3 seasons, and the fact that they have come from behind to win a lot of their games this season...you really think the Jazz can beat a healthy Lakers team? They were swept last season. We have knocked them out of the playoffs for the last three years, where their record against us in the post-season has been a combined 12-3. What makes you think Al Jefferson changes all of that? No Boozer, no Brewer to defend Kobe, undersized...there's nothing that would make anyone think that.

By the way, the best teams in the league, right now, are...

1) Celtics

2) Spurs

3) Mavs

4) Lakers

5) Heat

This will most certainly change by February.

My list is the same but I do feel like the Spurs are playing some of the basketball in the league right now. Heat are on a roll but I need to see them play some more top teams.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

My list is the same but I do feel like the Spurs are playing some of the basketball in the league right now. Heat are on a roll but I need to see them play some more top teams.

Yeah, it's a toss-up, really. I just don't think that the Spurs could beat the Celtics in a seven-game series, if we were to go into the playoffs today.

We arent talking about wen teams are healthy or not.. We are talking about best teams RIGHT NOW. And I read on espn tht mark cuban said tht the heat are playing thw best basketball right now during their current streak..

Just sayin.. Take it or leave it.

• Owner

We arent talking about wen teams are healthy or not.. We are talking about best teams RIGHT NOW. And I read on espn tht mark cuban said tht the heat are playing thw best basketball right now during their current streak..

So what argument do you have for the Heat being better than the Celtics, right now? We'll leave Dallas out of this despite them being better as well.

We arent talking about wen teams are healthy or not.. We are talking about best teams RIGHT NOW. And I read on espn tht mark cuban said tht the heat are playing the best basketball right now during their current streak..

Edited by Abro

• Owner

Okay, fantastic argument. Cuban is usually the person to listen to in these situations, so I'm convinced.

• Like 1

whoa! Slow ur roll there turbo.

Im not trying to make an arguement outta this im just sayin. N ive heard other analysts on espn saying that miami has been playing fantastic basketball. Idk if they r the best right now, but they are certainly be up there n by the end of the season I still think they will be #1

Bryant wasn't playing bad early in the season because of the hand, though. He was coming off his knee surgery. He almost missed the home opener. The knee is fine now.

You can't be overplayed just 20-25 games into the season unless you're playing 45 minutes per game AND asked to shoot 20+ times. Gasol has a hamstring issue, the same one he had last year that caused him to miss part of the season (the beginning of it, actually), but it's not bad enough to keep him off the court this time around.

Minutes are minutes. Whether you are taking shots or not, you are still out there defending, rebounding, screening, running back on defense, running to the open spots on offense, taking bumps under the basket, and whatever else comes with playing basketball that doesn't involve shooting the ball.

Either way, you could be right about the Gasol and Kobe injuries versus court play, and I'm willing to admit that. There are also other possibilities. Again, I want to wait at least 10 more games to re-evaluate.

And if you are correct and Kobe is just as good as he was the previous two seasons, then the Lakers are the best out West, making the Jazz likely to be the second best, at least by the playoffs.

You predicted the last two Lakers championships...but there's no relevance to that because I did as well, and so did many Lakers fans who think we're going to win our third consecutive title. There was no point in you telling anyone you predicted them. Good for you...it doesn't add legitimacy to your current prediction because you're not the only one in that boat.

I didn't say it did. I told you why I said that.

So, with a similar starting record produced in their last 2-3 seasons, and the fact that they have come from behind to win a lot of their games this season...you really think the Jazz can beat a healthy Lakers team? They were swept last season. We have knocked them out of the playoffs for the last three years, where their record against us in the post-season has been a combined 12-3. What makes you think Al Jefferson changes all of that? No Boozer, no Brewer to defend Kobe, undersized...there's nothing that would make anyone think that.

AGAIN with the "what everyone thinks". :lol:

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Let me ask you something (separate from the argument).

Would you rather be wrong, yet everyone agrees with you? Or be right, but everyone disagrees with you?

I could care less who disagrees with me. Before I make a post, I make sure I'm right. I don't put [expletive] down in a post if I think I'm incorrect.

Serious question for you: when did you start thinking the Heat were the best team in the NBA? Was it last week, during their streak, or July?

Just kidding, not a serious question. I already know.

I could care less who disagrees with me. Before I make a post, I make sure I'm right. I don't put [expletive] down in a post if I think I'm incorrect.

But you must always be open to being incorrect.

Serious question for you: when did you start thinking the Heat were the best team in the NBA? Was it last week, during their streak, or July?

They weren't the best team when they got beat by the Celtics their first game, but seeing how close they were despite the Celtics doing almost everything right and the Heat team looking like a bunch of guys that just met at the playground, I knew how good the Heat were going to become.

During the Heat's first 10-15 games, despite all of their problems and coming up on the losing end of some close games against good teams, they were already the second best team in the league to the Hornets.

At about that time, Haslem got that serious injury, and the Heat had to go through an adjustment period since they lost not only their best rebounder, but the best "dirty-worker" player of the team, and the best player that isn't among the "Big Three". During that time, the Heat lost a few more games and were then the third or fourth best team in the league behind I believe if I remember correctly, the Hornets (who were still hot), Spurs, and Celtics, and maybe the Lakers.

The Heat had their players-only meeting and since then the big three have discovered their roles well enough to make up for Haslem's grit. Arroyo is getting better and better each game, Jones has been very solid from the beginning, Chalmers seems to be just beginning to pick up back where he left off in his rookie year, and while the Heat don't quiet have the ideal center yet, they have 5 different guys to choose from to give you different looks throughout the game.

Now, at this very point in the season, the Heat are the best in the league, and the Heat aren't even at their own best yet.