Defensive Player of the year?

*Swish*

Who do you think is the defensive player of the year right now?

Who do you think will get the Defensive Player Of The Year?

Maybe too early to say. But We saw some efforts from some players here and there but we didn't see a significant and consistent effort night in and night out from one player.. I think it's too early.. Dwight Howard, Javal Mcgee and Kevin Garnett are both players that are consistently on my mind when I talk about Defensive Player Of The Year. I thought Ron Artest had a chance this year but this season, he's really lazy compared to last.

Edited by *Swish*

I see what you are trying to do, but lol.... we aren't picking Dwight because he jumps high and gets big blocks, his intimidation in the lane and rebounding helps the Magic be a top 3 defensive team.

McGee is also a great rebounder but he doesnt get the same amount of minutes as Dwight.

McGee averages 10 points and 8.5 rebounds per game playing only 28 minutes per game and he's not even their star or anything. He doesn't get as much as opportunities as Dwight to score the ball.

I'm not trying to do anything.. I mean, 8.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 28 minutes.. not bad at all.

McGee is also a great rebounder but he doesnt get the same amount of minutes as Dwight.

McGee averages 10 points and 8.5 rebounds per game playing only 28 minutes per game and he's not even their star or anything. He doesn't get as much as opportunities as Dwight to score the ball.

I'm not trying to do anything.. I mean, 8.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 28 minutes.. not bad at all.

McGee is terrible on rotations, still has a pretty low IQ, and doesn't always play consistently with effort. He should not even be mentioned in this thread.

McGee is terrible on rotations, still has a pretty low IQ, and doesn't always play consistently with effort. He should not even be mentioned in this thread.

Well.. I thought he was a great defender especially getting these stats with only 28 minutes of action per game...

I guess I have a pretty low IQ as well -_-

Still learning basketball ...

I think the 3 contenders for the award so far are Dwight, KG and Noah, and I think LeBron will see some first place votes as well. In the end I think it'll come down to Dwight and KG, with Dwight winning the award. Currently, the Celtics are the best defensive team statistically in the NBA, and the Magic are 3rd. Both players have absolutely ridiculous advanced defensive stats. I do think Dwight will get it because his defense is flashier with the blocked shots, and he also cleans the defensive glass better than KG. Also, Dwight is on a less talented team defensively, and has to do a lot more heavy lifting when it comes to cleaning up his teammates' mistakes, making him the more valuable defender.

• Like 1

• Owner

Given who he's defending the paint FOR, Dwight is going to win this award, hands down, unless someone suddenly steps up midway through the season and starts playing some incredible perimeter defense (on the level of Payton or Pippen) or post defense (Rodman-esque). Not going to happen...but that's what it would take to throw Howard out of the top spot (or an injury, of course).

All should be mentioned but will be overlooked because Howard gets 3 weakside Blocks per game.

Dwight also anchors a better defense than the Bucks/Spurs/Bulls, grabs more defensive boards than either of those three players, and has a Drtg 3-4pts better than them. Those are just the facts. It is clear when watching them that Dwight makes the biggest impact defensively in the league. Year in, year out he anchors an elite defense with average to poor defenders from the 1-4 positions, puts up terrific defensive stats, and on a good day he absolutely shuts down the paint, with the athleticism to recover and alter shots even when he's out of position. His defensive range is certainly what separates him from Bogut and Duncan, and his shot-blocking ability is what separates him from Noah.

Also, Duncan shouldn't even be in consideration...he doesn't even play 30MPG. And with Noah set to miss 2 months, he's out of contention as well.

Edited by Nitro