Is Flip hindering the development of Wall?

AboveLegit

"I don't think, with his situation, having tendonitis, that he's ever going to be pain free from that," said Saunders. "So I think what we're going to do is we're going to monitor it. That's the approach we're taking, but the reason we say day-to-day is because these things, when you go through them, all of a sudden you might wake up the next day and they might be good to go. That's why we're handling it that way."

"I told him, in the first 20 games, you've missed more games than John Stockton missed in 20 years," said Saunders. "He's frustrated. We just got to make sure that we get it right. We get him healthy, get him right, we get it where it's manageable, that he can play and play at the high level he needs to play at. There's no question that when he's not physically right, he doesn't play at the same level. If he can't play with the same intensity, enthusiasm and aggression, he's not the player that John Wall is. We're trying to get him where he feels comfortable with his body and is over the frustration."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nba/2010/12/wall-out-blatche-unlikely-vs-lakers#ixzz187Pg0QqP

I'm no expert, but isn't the best solution for tendinitis to rest and take time off from whatever is causing the problem? So instead of just resting Wall until he's fully healed, Flip's approach is to take things day by day. I don't think that's ever a logical solution....

It doesn't help that Flip is playing him 38 minutes since the summer league... Yeah Wall is only 20 years old, and he'll learn how to play through pain, but given the situation, I'm beginning to question Flip's logic.

And let's be honest, this is a pointless season for us. Even with John in the lineup, we're a below average team. But, with Wall playing everyday, he's gaining more confidence, understanding the game better, and developing more consistency in his play and chemistry with teammates.

Injuries have really put a halt to the early momentum that he was building up. At this point in his development, his game is so dependent on his nasty physical attributes that he isn't nearly as effective when his mobility is hindered a bit by injuries like the knee/ankle/foot ones that he has been battling for most of the season.

I believe I've also said it before on here, but I hate Flip as the coach of a rebuilding team. He has always been a bit of an overrated coach if you ask me, but he is solid when he has a team of veterans around him like he had in Minny and Detroit. He isn't good at player development and coaching a non playoff team, though. I can't really comment on whether or not he has had a direct result in slowing Wall's development or not because I haven't paid enough attention to the Wizards.

If Saunders is actually taking this approach to Wall's injury, it is pretty laughable. Why would you take this approach to recovering from an injury when you can just sit him down for a couple of days or a week and he will realistically be completely recovered? Doing this will just make sure that the injury is constantly lingering.

• Like 1