Redskins bench Donovan McNabb

bigdog17k

ASHBURN, Va. -- It's Rex Grossman over Donovan McNabb. Again. And this time, it's from the opening kickoff.

The Washington Redskins plan to start Grossman on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, coach Mike Shanahan said Friday.

Shanahan is benching a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback billed as the next John Elway when he came to the franchise in April.

McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, told ESPN that the Redskins' decision is "disrespectful to Donovan. He has not been more disrespected his whole career than he has this season. It's absolutely ridiculous."

The 34-year-old McNabb is struggling through his worst season since he was a rookie in 1999. He's thrown a career-high 15 interceptions and ranks 25th in the NFL with a 77.1 rating for the Redskins (5-8), who have been eliminated from the playoff race.

Full Article

Looks like he's in Shanahan's doghouse.

I think he always was. It doesn't really matter, the Redskins need to go in a different direction. They need to find a franchise QB and build around him. McNabb is in his, what, 12th season as it is? They need to start finding long term solutions there. Not filler type of guys. They are a longggg way from being good.

I cant wait, been waiting for this day forever :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: http://strategerie.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rex-grossman-and-mr-hill.jpg

SEXY REXY IS BACK!!! ; )

"I was summoned up to the head coach's office, and (Shanahan) told me," Grossman said. "I didn't know until I was actually told. I had a few hints, but nothing concrete."

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Grossman described those hints as "the way people were talking to me, the types of reps I was getting."

Grossman said he and McNabb have a "great" relationship.

"I respect everything he's done," Grossman said. "I talked with (Donovan) on the phone (last) night, and everything's good. This is a tough situation, but it is what it is -- and I'm excited about it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cfa243/article/redskins-mcnabb-benched-grossman-to-start-vs-boys?module=breaking_news

While I don't particularly like the move, Shanahan see's playing McNabb as a lose-lose since we are out of the playoff hunt. If we had a shot, however small it is, McNabb would more than likely be starting.

If he does indeed stay here after this offseason, he will have OTA's, training camp, and preseason to continue to master the offense. With an improved Oline and receiving corps (hopefully), he should have a better year in 2011.

I don't think Shanahan wants him gone, because he would be sending the wrong message. By benching him, you are only ruining his trade value (like he did to Haynesworth).

Basically we're treating the next 3 games as preseason games to evaluate the roster once again to see who is good enough to keep around before another roster purge. Again, I don't like the move, but there is some logic behind it.

While I don't particularly like the move, Shanahan see's playing McNabb as a lose-lose since we are out of the playoff hunt. If we had a shot, however small it is, McNabb would more than likely be starting.

If he does indeed stay here after this offseason, he will have OTA's, training camp, and preseason to continue to master the offense. With an improved Oline and receiving corps (hopefully), he should have a better year in 2011.

I don't think Shanahan wants him gone, because he would be sending the wrong message. By benching him, you are only ruining his trade value (like he did to Haynesworth).

Basically we're treating the next 3 games as preseason games to evaluate the roster once again to see who is good enough to keep around before another roster purge. Again, I don't like the move, but there is some logic behind it.

Lol...are you joking?

They will cut him at the end of the year. That's the logic behind it.