2011 NBA Draft Getting Even Weaker?

Built Ford Tough

Enes Kanter will remain at Kentucky for the 11-12 season if he is asked to serve a one-year suspension over amateurism issues he will not enter the 2011 NBA Draft and will play college basketball next season.

Dr. Mehmet Kanter, by e-mail, told Sporting News his family “can’t stop hoping” Enes’ eligibility to play for the Wildcats will be approved by the NCAA.

“Enes would do anything to play and help UK, his teammates and fans,” Mehmet Kanter wrote. “In the last two years, one thing me and Enes never discussed was him being pro. He didn’t mention to me about NBA or draft and I guarantee you as a father – if that’s the NCAA's decision Enes will be a sophomore next year in UK.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter/story/kanter-will-stay-at-kentucky-if-asked-to-sit-out-a-year

Good god, this draft is shaping up to be the worst draft since '00 with the potential lockout scaring middle of the pack prospects away, potential injuries to top picks (I still think Irving declares, though), dissapointing play from highly touted Freshman like Harrison Barnes and Brandon Knight and now one of the marquee European prospects likely to not enter it.

This draft is looking like it is going to absolutely suck with the way things are going.

It will be. I have nothing against Perry Jones, he's a fantastic player and a legit NBA talent, but there is no way he should ranked number one on some of the draft publications I visit. Neither should Harrison Barnes.

The only way it gets even a little better is you have to hope guys like Derrick Williams, Honeycutt, CJ Leslie, Terrence Jones - players like that - improve immensely and make having those top ten picks valuable and mean something.

I think teams like the Spurs and the Rockets have proven that talent is always out there if you look in the right places. Just because a team isn't going to get a player that is ranked at a certain level doesn't mean there is no hope in getting a good player. I think I remember Landry Fields not being on anybody's list.

I think teams like the Spurs and the Rockets have proven that talent is always out there if you look in the right places. Just because a team isn't going to get a player that is ranked at a certain level doesn't mean there is no hope in getting a good player. I think I remember Landry Fields not being on anybody's list.

The talent has to actually declare for the draft, though. I agree that there are usually a couple of good 2nd rounders in most drafts and there will always be those sleeper picks that nobody thinks much of at the time, but the odds of finding guys like that greatly decrease when the overall talent pool is diluted, which seems very likely to happen this season.

Sure, there will be a few surprises in the '11 draft, there always is. That doesn't change the fact that a weak draft is a weak draft and this class is shaping up to be a very weak one due to the uncertainty surrounding the CBA and the underperforming play of top prospects (so far).