Ric Bucher now reporting Dwight has his eyes on Los Angeles

magicbalala245

I forget someone on this board posted an article for CBS Sports and I can't find it other wise i would've posted this in that thread. And this tweet just came out from an analyst from ESPN so I'm guessing this Dwight to LA thing could be legit now

Hopefully we get Dwight and [expletive]ing release Bynum's dumbass

I would literally [expletive] my pants. But honestly we have way too much money on the books for 2012-13, the front office would have to work miracles to make it happen.

like basing a trade around Bynum for Dwight? either the trade deadline before Dwight is set to become a FA, or in a sign and trade.

like basing a trade around Bynum for Dwight? either the trade deadline before Dwight is set to become a FA, or in a sign and trade.

I highly doubt the Magic would have any interest in Bynum unless he can stay healthy and be effective the next two seasons. A sign and trade for Bynum would probably be their last ditch effort.

Edited by Confidence

• Owner

It's not a ridiculous assumption that Howard will test the FA waters, and not ridiculous he'll consider Los Angeles.

Everyone was laughing when the Lakers were said to be going after Garnett, Gasol or Jermaine, and the idea was that we would have to trade Bynum and Odom for one of them. Turns out neither were dealt, we ended up with Gasol, and it has brought us two more championships.

Considering Los Angeles seems to be a perennial contender, and knowing the fact that Kobe, Gasol and Odom will still be here, it's not that big of a reach.

I wish a lot of you were paying close attention to Shaq when he was a free agent. Everyone around the league...they were certain he would be back in Orlando, because Penny Hardaway was looking like the next Jordan (at that time), they already had a Finals appearance and an ECF loss to the greatest team of all-time.

What Dwight SHOULD do is come out and dismiss this. In fact, he probably will. However, it shouldn't mean too much, because there's a reason why the Magic dealt a nice chunk of their team recently, despite still being a contender.

LA also has the contracts to bring him in. Orlando wouldn't want to lose him for nothing, and I doubt they would hang in there like the Nuggets have done with Melo. Howard could pull the same thing.

I highly doubt the Magic would have any interest in Bynum unless he can stay healthy and be effective the next two seasons. A sign and trade would probably be their last ditch effort.

not saying the Magic will have huge interest in dealing for Bynum... i was jut throwing something out there kuz i highly doubt the Magic will want to lose Dwight for nothing that is potentially significant.

I wish a lot of you were paying close attention to Shaq when he was a free agent. Everyone around the league...they were certain he would be back in Orlando, because Penny Hardaway was looking like the next Jordan (at that time), they already had a Finals appearance and an ECF loss to the greatest team of all-time.

I believe Shaq was offered a contract worth about $20M more from LA than Orlando could offer. LA gutted their roster to get him. Dwight's situation will be a lot different than Shaq's was, although I am not quite sure what point you were trying to make here.

• Owner

I believe Shaq was offered a contract worth about $20M more from LA than Orlando could offer. LA gutted their roster to get him. Dwight's situation will be a lot different than Shaq's was, although I am not quite sure what point you were trying to make here.

That's definitely wrong. LA didn't gut their roster to get Shaq, and they didn't offer more money. Their best players, from the previous season, were Ceballos, Van Exel, Jones, Campbell and Divac. They traded Divac to bring in Kobe, and gave Shaq the money. Those other four guys remained in Los Angeles for the 1996-97 season.

Shaq was making almost $6 million in his final season with the Magic. One year later, he was at almost $11 million with the Lakers. Orlando still offered more money...

The Los Angeles Lakers sign free agent center Shaquille O'Neal to a seven-year, $121 million contract -- then the largest deal in NBA history. The Lakers and Magic had been in the middle of a bidding war for several weeks, and at $121 million -- along with the enticement of future endorsement deals -- O'Neal decided that L.A. was the way to go. Orlando had reportedly offered him a $130 million deal, which O'Neal had turned down.

http://www.inhistoric.com/2010/7/18/1065737/today-in-sports-history-july-18th

The point was, Shaq left one of the best teams in the league for a Lakers team that was coming off a 53-win season, knowing that Penny Hardaway was already an all-star player. The hype was around Bryant, and with Divac being dealt for him and the fact that Los Angeles gave Shaq more opportunities for endorsements (as it would right now with Dwight), there was no need to think twice.

It's not a ridiculous assumption that Howard will test the FA waters, and not ridiculous he'll consider Los Angeles.

Everyone was laughing when the Lakers were said to be going after Garnett, Gasol or Jermaine, and the idea was that we would have to trade Bynum and Odom for one of them. Turns out neither were dealt, we ended up with Gasol, and it has brought us two more championships.

LA also has the contracts to bring him in. Orlando wouldn't want to lose him for nothing, and I doubt they would hang in there like the Nuggets have done with Melo. Howard could pull the same thing.

I can definitely see it happening, but it's just seems too far fetched. Remember, during those Garnett/Jermaine rumors, Bynum was being looked at as a stud with tons of potential, and Odom was only 28 years old.

Odom will be 33 by then. So in all likelihood, the Magic are probably better off just letting Howard walk and use the cap space on others. And it would be pretty difficult to use Bynum as trade bait as they'd have to declare the final year of his contract before the FA period begins (as in, before they're officially allowed to talk to FA's).

Shaq was making almost $6 million in his final season with the Magic. One year later, he was at almost $11 million with the Lakers.

What does this have to do with anything? That contract was making him over $20M per year the last 3-4 seasons.

I could have swore the Magic didn't go over $100M with their offer, but I guess I'm wrong. My bad.

The point was, Shaq left one of the best teams in the league for a Lakers team that was coming off a 53-win season, knowing that Penny Hardaway was already an all-star player. The hype was around Bryant, and with Divac being dealt for him and the fact that Los Angeles gave Shaq more opportunities for endorsements (as it would right now with Dwight), there was no need to think twice.

I don't think the Kobe hype had much influence on Shaq's decision. We are not talking about the hype LeBron received, where he was touted as the next Jordan in his Junior year and was the most obvious #1 selection in the last few decades. Kobe was taken at #13 in that draft, and while there was excitement around him, I don't think it swayed Shaq's decision. He went to a bigger market and team that won only 7 less games than the Magic did the previous season.

As seen with NY throughout the last decade, I do think the whole "bigger market" factor is a bit overblown. Dwight's extension will run through his very best years, and I think he will go where he truly thinks he has the best shot at winning (unless Orlando wins a championship before 2012 or attracts another superstar to pair with Howard). That could very well be in LA, but I do think Howard's outgoing personality will give this rumor more legs than it deserves.

• Owner

Odom will be 33 by then. So in all likelihood, the Magic are probably better off just letting Howard walk and use the cap space on others. And it would be pretty difficult to use Bynum as trade bait as they'd have to declare the final year of his contract before the FA period begins (as in, before they're officially allowed to talk to FA's).

If Drew doesn't get injured for the rest of this season, or the next, they'll give him his team option. I don't think that's really a concern.

By then, Drew will be around 25 years old, two years younger than Howard. The way LA draws in free agents, they could have someone else (that they bring in with the MLE) that they can dangle out there with Drew. Maybe Ebanks turns into Ariza.

The one thing that really keeps me intrigued is the fact that, almost always, Jerry Buss seems to get what he wants. Only three seasons under .400 since the start of the franchise in 1948, and we've missed the playoffs just twice since 1976 (would be once if Bryant and Odom didn't miss a massive chunk of the 2004-05 season). I have full confidence in Buss and Mitch (can't believe I'm saying that, since I was so angry at them just 4-5 years ago).

It's not all on them, though...a big part of it is because of our rich history, our past and present success, teaming up with Bryant, Shaq, Magic, Phil, and many others along the road...but I think Howard would definitely consider the Lakers, and I know Buss and Mitch would find a way to pull it off if he really, really wanted to be here.

• Owner

What does this have to do with anything? That contract was making him over $20M per year the last 3-4 seasons.

I wasn't talking about the end of the contract. Orlando would've been giving him the similar deal (well, a little more). The end of his Orlando contract was his rookie deal, and the starting salary for any contract the Magic were to offer him wasn't going to be near that number, but closer to the number the Lakers were giving him his first season (and just as long) due to Bird Rights and the maximum contract (starting salary) rules.

He went to a bigger market and team that won only 7 less games than the Magic did the previous season.
As seen with NY throughout the last decade, I do think the whole "bigger market" factor is a bit overblown.

He went to a bigger market...

And the Knicks don't compare to the Lakers. While New York and LA are the two bigger markets in the league, one team wins NBA championships and contends almost every year, while the other has struggled to win 41 games over the last nine seasons, missing the playoffs in eight of those. It's not just the market that puts LA over the top, but the players and coaches, and even the front office and history.

I wasn't talking about the end of the contract. Orlando would've been giving him the similar deal (well, a little more). The end of his Orlando contract was his rookie deal, and the starting salary for any contract the Magic were to offer him wasn't going to be near that number, but closer to the number the Lakers were giving him his first season (and just as long) due to Bird Rights and the maximum contract (starting salary) rules.

Out of curiousity, what were the maximum salary rules when Shaq signed that contract? I am not sure if there was a maximum salary restriction as MJ was making around $30M per season during the 2nd 3-peat.

He went to a bigger market...

Yes, but he also went to a team that won 7 less games the prior season WITHOUT Shaq. It wasn't just the market attracting him, and I think the market is solely what is spurring these "Howard to LA" rumors.

And the Knicks don't compare to the Lakers. While New York and LA are the two bigger markets in the league, one team wins NBA championships and contends almost every year, while the other has struggled to win 41 games over the last nine seasons, missing the playoffs in eight of those. It's not just the market that puts LA over the top, but the players and coaches, and even the front office and history.

Read the last line of my post. The reason this rumor, if you can call it that, has any legs is because of Howard's personality and the MARKET in LA. This is still nearly 2 years away from happening, and the Magic just made some huge trades which Howard supposedly is very happy about, so I doubt he or any of his people are releasing the info that he "has his eyes on Los Angeles." IMO, it's people putting two and two together. He has a Hollywood type of personality, so for journalists it's an easy rumor to generate. It's a lot like the LeBron to NY/Brooklyn thing...they see him with Yankees caps, hanging out with Jay-Z and assume his ego would force him to take on the challenge of being the King of NY...obviously that didn't work out.

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he ended up in LA. But these rumors bother me since there is no substance, nobody knows how half the league's rosters will look in 2012, and lastly...it's a year and a half away!! We had to deal with it for 2-3 years with the LeBron-to-NY rumors, and I really hope the Dwight-to-LA rumors don't get as crazy.

If Drew doesn't get injured for the rest of this season, or the next, they'll give him his team option. I don't think that's really a concern.

Bynum's history with injury would turn any team off from trading a superstar for him unless he can go the next season or 2 injury-free, gets his game and lift back and develops in which case do you trade a guy like him?

By then, Drew will be around 25 years old, two years younger than Howard. The way LA draws in free agents, they could have someone else (that they bring in with the MLE) that they can dangle out there with Drew. Maybe Ebanks turns into Ariza.

Would Ebanks really get enough PT now that they have Artest, Odom, Barnes, and Brown. And two years isn't too far away, I just don't think there's enough time for him to prove himself. In two years I don't Odom being a valuable trade asset that would entice a team like the Magic.

The one thing that really keeps me intrigued is the fact that, almost always, Jerry Buss seems to get what he wants. Only three seasons under .400 since the start of the franchise in 1948, and we've missed the playoffs just twice since 1976 (would be once if Bryant and Odom didn't miss a massive chunk of the 2004-05 season). I have full confidence in Buss and Mitch (can't believe I'm saying that, since I was so angry at them just 4-5 years ago).

It's not all on them, though...a big part of it is because of our rich history, our past and present success, teaming up with Bryant, Shaq, Magic, Phil, and many others along the road...but I think Howard would definitely consider the Lakers, and I know Buss and Mitch would find a way to pull it off if he really, really wanted to be here.

Yeah I agree with that, and besides, Dwight does seem like the type of guy who would like to play in LA. Also, I honestly do believe he leaves, I'm almost fully sold on it. This whole situation with Orlando basically overhauling their roster is exactly like the situation in Cleveland last season. Both have major issues still, a ton of question marks, and don't seem like legitimate threats to Boston.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/Zac_Sweeney/NBA%20Photoshops/Jersey%20Switches/DwightHowarLakersaaa_final.png

Looks legit to me.

• Owner
I think the market is solely what is spurring these "Howard to LA" rumors.

And so it has nothing to do with the Lakers winning championships? Playing alongside Kobe Bryant before he retires? Why are there no rumors of him going to the Los Angeles Clippers to play center, alongside Blake Griffin?

Word is that he has put out a wish list to those close to him. It's not exactly pure speculation.

Out of curiousity, what were the maximum salary rules when Shaq signed that contract? I am not sure if there was a maximum salary restriction as MJ was making around $30M per season during the 2nd 3-peat.

Maybe not, or it could've been possible that Jordan was considered a 10+ year veteran at that time and had no restriction. O'Neal was coming off his rookie deal. I'm sure there was something, because there were percentage increases in contracts back then, which makes it more likely there were restrictions on how much you can pay a non-vet (or, even just a rookie contract player).

I may just ask Larry Coon later.

The current CBA was established in the summer of 2005, and one feature of it was establishing max contracts for all players in the league. The key words could be "all players in the league." Much like it is today (where max contracts are defined by how long a player has been in the league), that may have been the case with the steep salary increase of 1996.

Bynum's history with injury would turn any team off from trading a superstar for him unless he can go the next season or 2 injury-free, gets his game and lift back and develops

That's why I said he'll need to stay healthy for the next two seasons.

in which case do you trade a guy like him?

For Howard? Most definitely. Andrew Bynum will never be as good as Dwight Howard.

Would Ebanks really get enough PT now that they have Artest, Odom, Barnes, and Brown. And two years isn't too far away, I just don't think there's enough time for him to prove himself. In two years I don't Odom being a valuable trade asset that would entice a team like the Magic.

Ariza only needed one season. He was at a D-League level before he came to Los Angeles. Plus, Artest is showing his age, and he's close to getting benched. His minutes have been limited (and the lowest of his career). Next season, and especially if Barnes doesn't return, Ebanks could see a lot more playing time than he expects.

Barnes and Brown are free agents this summer, unless the Lakers re-up them. Both have player options.

Right now, Odom is playing the best basketball of his career. Will he decline that fast? He could be an asset scoring the ball, or he could be an expiring (like Drew could be). Those are two big, expiring deals put together...around $24-25 million.