One-On-One With Monta

Five questions with Warriors guard Monta Ellis:

Q: I've heard a lot about the "new Monta" and how different you were when you reported for camp in September. What kinds of specific changes did you make?

A: I'm a totally different person. I just tried to come back with a better attitude and a positive attitude and give off positive energy for guys to want to play with me and play for this organization. And so far it's been great. We've bonded as a team. We do everything as a team. We do everything that a team should do. We've just got to get everybody back [healthy] on the court and try to make a push.

Q: What do you think the chances are that we see you or Kevin Love in the All-Star Game? Do you think you guys will get any consideration when the teams you play for have losing records?

A: If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I know how it works. I've been in this situation for the last few years. I'm pretty much thinking about helping this team. To me, making the All-Star Game, that's just an individual goal that I never really looked at. If I did make the All-Star team, it would be great for me and my organization and my team, but I'd rather make the playoffs.

Q: I'm sure by now you're used to hearing people say that your numbers were inflated by playing in Don Nelson's system. So what do you say in response now that your numbers have gone up without Nellie?

A: I gotta give a lot of credit to Don Nelson. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't even be known at all in the NBA, because he gave me an opportunity to show my talent and let me do me.

[but] playing for Keith Smart is just like playing in the Nellie system. It's just a younger Nellie [coaching]. He's just got more energy. Nothing's really changed. The system is still the same.

I would say numbers-wise it's the best that I'm playing. But I have a lot of guys around me who are willing to work and can actually make plays, so it really makes my job much easier than last year. I don't have to force too many shots. I don't have to try to make plays for everybody. We've got guys that make plays for me also.

Read More