Jim Harbaugh is 49ers' Plan A

ChosenOne

Now that league and team sources agree that Trent Baalke will be promoted to 49ers general manager soon, they also agree on which coach he will target first.

Stanford's Jim Harbaugh.

The 49ers' initial plan is to make a full-court press to woo Harbaugh once Stanford plays in the Orange Bowl on Monday. Baalke, who has handled most of the team's GM duties since May, returned from Florida a few days after Stanford arrived for its bowl game.

Team president and CEO Jed York said the next general manager will pick the coach to replace Mike Singletary, who was fired Sunday when the 5-10 49ers were eliminated from the NFC West race.

Baalke confirmed Friday that he will "visit" with York. As Baalke noted, he's been interviewing for the job since May, when he was promoted to the head of the personnel department.

Harbaugh has been a fixture in NFL and college coaching rumor mills the past two years. Some speculate he's headed to his alma mater if Michigan fires its coach. Other NFL teams with vacancies are expected to show interest.

If Harbaugh doesn't pick the 49ers, the team would move to a Plan B lineup. Team and league sources anticipate they would consider former Ravens coach Brian Billick, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, among others.

San Francisco Chronicle

Damn I knew this guys was going to be moving up in the college world but straight to the NFL :wacko: and more importantly to a well build team like the 49ers. I don't this this opportunity can/should be passed up by him.

Edited by ChosenOne

I still think his best option is Stanford if Luck stays another year. I wouldn't dare go to SF unless he is going to trade for the top pick and draft a QB like Luck.

Edited by Lkr

I still think his best option is Stanford if Gerhart stays another year. I wouldn't dare go to SF unless he is going to trade for the top pick and draft a QB like Gerhart.

Gerhart or Luck?

meant Luck. Its 2 AM :lol:

It's ight http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

At first I was like wtf Gerhart is on the Vikings, and then I was like just my Luck.

I think his best move would be Michigan. He'd be an instant celebrity, would bring needed credibility back to the program (especially offensively, it was clear Michigan was never going to go anywhere with that terrible version of the spread Rich Rod runs. Get back to the I-Form, run the ball down their throats and give them a healthy dosage of Devin Gardener, and the Wolverines will be just fine.

It'd help if they can re-secure the commitment of Dee Hart, he instantly makes them better.

I think his best move would be Michigan. He'd be an instant celebrity, would bring needed credibility back to the program (especially offensively, it was clear Michigan was never going to go anywhere with that terrible version of the spread Rich Rod runs. Get back to the I-Form, run the ball down their throats and give them a healthy dosage of Devin Gardener, and the Wolverines will be just fine.

It'd help if they can re-secure the commitment of Dee Hart, he instantly makes them better.

Where does Dernard Robinson play in the power-i?