Wayne Rooney's little brother John signs with MLS

Dash

Wayne Rooney's younger brother John is hoping to play soccer in the United States.

The 20-year-old forward has signed with Major League Soccer and will be eligible for selection at next week's MLS draft at a major coaches' convention in Baltimore.

Rooney, whose brother Wayne is a star forward at Manchester United, will be among 70 top pro prospects who will showcase their talents in a five-day combine at the 2011 MLS Player Combine starting on Friday at Central Broward Regional Park in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Rooney has played for Macclesfield Town in England's League Two and had a trial with Derby County of England's League Championship in 2009. He has also had trials with the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers.

Expansion club Vancouver Whitecaps FC has the top draft pick at the MLS Draft followed by the expansion Portland Timbers, D.C. United, Chivas USA and Philadelphia.

"There were a few teams sniffing around from the higher leagues but I wanted to change my career and go to the United States to build on my own career over there," John Rooney told mlsnet.com. "That's why I want to get over there [uSA]- so it's just me. And I want to build my own career over there and do my best. Hopefully I'll enjoy it."

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/haydons-soccer-pitch/2011/jan/4/wayne-rooneys-brother-john-signs-mls/

Right now he's projected to be a mid first round pick to early second round. SBNation has him going 19th (first pick of the second round) in their new mock draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he went earlier because his name alone is definitely going to draw fans and media attention.