Is Denver still playoff bound?

So right now they are in the bottom of the Western conference playoff picture, but in the picture nonetheless.

My question is, if Denver trades Melo, can they still make the playoffs? Teams like Houston, Memphis, and Phoenix are obviously still in the race. But if the Nuggets don't trade Melo in the next few weeks and get a few more wins out of him to stay afloat, is it possible? They'll have Nene, an all-star caliber center, Afflalo, JR Smith, Kenyon, Birdman, and others still on the game. Is it possible? I think it'd be interesting to see this team make it.

Depends entirely on who they get back in the Melo trade, and if they decide to flip Devin Harris off. Half their team after this deal will probably be brand new, so it's probably a safe bet that they won't.

We have a good core of Ty, Nene and AA, Favors has shown he can hold his own as a starter. And then J.R. and Morrow sparking our bench.

C - Nene

PF - Derrick Favors

SF - ???

SG - Arron Afflalo

PG - Ty Lawson

---

6th - J.R. Smith

7th - Kenyon Martin

8th - Anthony Morrow

9th - Chris Andersen

All we're missing is a starting SF and a backup PG and backup bigs (with Kenyon and Birdman injured), who I think we can get via Harris trade.

I would love Mayo, Gasol from Grizzlies... Nuggets seem high on Batum, who I wouldn't mind.

It will all depend on the chemistry... Karl's constant ball movement (shoot it, pass it, attack, but don't hold the damn basketball) should help quicken the process.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire

I don't know... they might but without Melo I'm not liking thier chances. They don't have any superstars once Melo and Billups leave although Ty Lawson does have more of an oppurtunity, it all depends on whether Favors plays well with them.

^Yup, I see Lawson increasing his scoring average by a lot once Melo leaves. He will be a 18-19 ppg scorer, and then keep progressing next season, and the next, etc. Lawson can be that, but I don't think he's ready to be that go-to player that carries the team consistently.

I hope we can somehow pry Mayo from Grizzlies for Harris. Mayo can then be that scorer for us.

I hope we can somehow pry Mayo from Grizzlies for Harris. Mayo can then be that scorer for us.

That'd be a steal for the Grizzlies. Even though Harris hasn't played that well the last 2 years (for what he's capable of), Mayo has been straight awful this season. Right now Mayo's value is at an all-time low due to his poor play and attitude, so I think he could be had for less than Harris... maybe a first rounder they receive from the Nets, along with a role player. Harris can be better used as a trade-chip than for Mayo.

• Owner

The Grizz would deal Mayo in a heartbeat, but there's no chance they would throw Gasol in any package unless it gave them a legit defensive big man back (or Carmelo, of course). Birdman wouldn't cut it, and Nene doesn't know what defense is.