Sir Charles & Chris Webber: "Derrick Rose Is The Best Point Guard in the NBA"

Pooh25

Sir Charles: "Derrick Rose Is The Best Point Guard in the NBA"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtbnmGAsvOE&feature=player_embedded

Charles Barkley and later Chris Webber also agreed.

Sir Charles Ranking:

#1 - Rose

#2 - Williams

#3 - Paul

Thoughts?

My ranking:

#1A - Williams

#1B - Rose

#1C - Paul

Edited by TheGreatPoodhini1

• Owner

Derrick Rose is the best scoring point guard in the NBA. Second best, overall. CP3 is still on top. He's the better passer and defender, and Paul can average 22-23 points if he needs to, on better shooting, defended the same way.

I think you can make a case for him, but he is still not that great defensively, and turns it over more than you'd like, at least relative to his assists. He might be the MVP of the NBA right now, but I think Deron Williams has been the best point in the NBA this year, I have no idea what is going on with Chris Paul though, he needs some teammates though that's for sure.

Rose still has more holes in his game than Paul and Deron in my opinion. He could easily be the best point guard in the NBA within 2-3 years, especially by the sounds of his work ethic and competitiveness. Hell, he might get in that LBJ, Wade, etc, group before too long, his production continues to rise exponentially.

• Owner

Deron Williams probably puts up better scoring numbers (not even going to look, but I just know), not sure about assists...but he's nowhere near the defensive player CP3 has been this season. Plus, I don't know about everyone else, but I've always thought that Williams was a tad bit overrated on defense. I've seen him defend a few big PGs with his physical play, but I've also seen him get lit up and needing help quite a bit.

CP3 is just too quick, and he's stronger than he really should be, which helps him out a lot in terms of how he defends various players.

I think you can make a case for him, but he is still not that great defensively, and turns it over more than you'd like, at least relative to his assists. He might be the MVP of the NBA right now, but I think Deron Williams has been the best point in the NBA this year, I have no idea what is going on with Chris Paul though, he needs some teammates though that's for sure.

True, but the turnovers are expected because of the high usage rate.

Rose: USG% 31.3, TOV: 3.3

Westbrook: USG% 31.1, TOV: 3.7,

Rondo: USG% 17.8. TOV: 3.8

Rose still has more holes in his game than Paul and Deron in my opinion. He could easily be the best point guard in the NBA within 2-3 years, especially by the sounds of his work ethic and competitiveness. Hell, he might get in that LBJ, Wade, etc, group before too long, his production continues to rise exponentially.

What are these holes you speak of? He fixed his outside shooting which was a glaring hole, he shoots at 39%, could be higher if he didn't attempt buzzer beaters but he doesn't care about stats. Defense? It's getting better per game. His man defense is good, but his team defense is average. He needs to do better at poking at the ball, playing the passing lanes, etc...

Rose is the strongest point guard in the NBA, and also the best at taking a game over. Rondo's the best passer, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are the best shooters and floor generals. All four can be considered the best.

Westbrook could be the best a few years from now but I need to see how he fares in the playoffs this year and next year. He's got the explosiveness of Rose for sure.

He's getting there, but I'd still comfortably take Paul and Williams over him. Both are much better at running an offense, and they can both score in volume on strong efficiency (especially Paul) when needed. Rose has really picked up his defense the last few weeks I've seen him play, and I'd take him on that side of the ball over Williams (not Paul since he's not a good enough man-to-man defender to make up for Paul's ability to generate steals). Rebounding difference is minimal, although Paul is the best of the 3 in that regard. When the game is close, however, I'd have Rose over either Paul or Williams since he's the best at creating his own shot, and this season has been a lot more aggressive in those situations.

Basically, the biggest issue with Rose is that he's a really good passing SG trapped in a PG's body, and his scoring isn't so elite that it can be overlooked when comparing him to Paul and Williams.

Deron Williams probably puts up better scoring numbers (not even going to look, but I just know), not sure about assists...but he's nowhere near the defensive player CP3 has been this season. Plus, I don't know about everyone else, but I've always thought that Williams was a tad bit overrated on defense. I've seen him defend a few big PGs with his physical play, but I've also seen him get lit up and needing help quite a bit.

Bingo, he was getting absolutely run off the floor by Wall on D yesterday and couldn't keep up with his dribble penetration.

CP3 is on pace to be an all NBA first teamer and a 1st team all defensive player. There's a lot more to stats than per game numbers. He's playing less minutes and taking significantly less shots than Rose, Westbrook, or Williams.

And how many PG's have recorded a season with a PER of 25 or higher? Paul is in that elite group, and is working on his third season. And of that elite group, how many play 1st team defense? And it's pretty clear to me that he's not even fully healthy...

Bingo, he was getting absolutely run off the floor by Wall on D yesterday and couldn't keep up with his dribble penetration.

CP3 is on pace to be an all NBA first teamer and a 1st team all defensive player. There's a lot more to stats than per game numbers. He's playing less minutes and taking significantly less shots than Rose, Westbrook, or Williams.

And how many PG's have recorded a season with a PER of 25 or higher? Paul is in that elite group, and is working on his third season. And of that elite group, how many play 1st team defense? And it's pretty clear to me that he's not even fully healthy...

Chris Paul is a not a good defender, at all.

Tom Brady sucks.

See, I can make senseless posts too.

He's just like Allen Iverson when it comes to defense, but ten times worse, and minus the amazing hustle.

And, Tom Brady has nothing to do with this thread. It's just another case of a fan from a [expletive]ty sports city that is bitter.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

He's just like Allen Iverson when it comes to defense, but ten times worse, and minus the amazing hustle.

And, Tom Brady has nothing to do with this thread. It's just another case of a fan from a [expletive]ty sports city that is bitter.

Lol I love how you are just stating all this random BS without supporting it with factual information. You really are developing a good argument here...

And I hope you are not just looking at the SPG category and basing your erroneous claims off of it.

Umm...what? He gets 3SPG, has the best Drtg on the Hornets of anyone who's played significant minutes, 2nd most DWS on the team, and has made All-Defensive teams. Those are just stats and accolades, but anyone who watches Paul play will tell you you're just stupid.

• Owner

Umm...what? He gets 3SPG, has the best Drtg on the Hornets of anyone who's played significant minutes, 2nd most DWS on the team, and has made All-Defensive teams. Those are just stats and accolades, but anyone who watches Paul play will tell you you're just stupid.

Hmm...I figured that would be Emeka, but I knew CP3 was playing very good defense as well. Both have been doing really well, just by what I've seen during games.

Rose is the strongest point guard in the NBA, and also the best at taking a game over. Rondo's the best passer, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are the best shooters and floor generals. All four can be considered the best.

Westbrook could be the best a few years from now but I need to see how he fares in the playoffs this year and next year. He's got the explosiveness of Rose for sure.

This right here. As far as facilitating and playing making is concerned, Rondo, Chris Paul, and Deron Williams all have the upper hand. I'm a little skeptical about his passing abilities at times. However, Rose is by the the most explosive pg in the league and the most complete scorer among pg's. Adding that three ball to his repertoire this season has made him deadly.