Spurs on Pace for 70

^ Well I, for one, thought they would be the 4th seed at best. I remember me or someone did a poll regarding how many wins this Spurs team would get this season and most fall between the 55 or below range, which is a logical guess at the time, but no one expect them to be on pace to be getting 70 wins.

Still, no one would talk about it until they actually get 70 wins, that's just how the Spurs roll.

Why so surprised?

lol seriously? Pretty sure most figured the Spurs to be around the same as last year, maybe a bit better as they were presumably healthy this year, but the best record in the NBA midway through the year? Don't even sit here and tell me this isn't surprising to you.

I wasn't surprised up until lately. I thought that their initial success would eventually flatten along with the Hornets. Now, they're rolling. What's even more amazing is that no one on that team is really putting up all-star numbers. No one person is scoring over 20, rebouding over 10, assisting over 8, etc. It just comes to show how important management and role players are. Plus, having one of the best coaches of all time never hurts.

lol seriously? Pretty sure most figured the Spurs to be around the same as last year, maybe a bit better as they were presumably healthy this year, but the best record in the NBA midway through the year? Don't even sit here and tell me this isn't surprising to you.

See whatchu mean:

The Spurs, have now played exactly half of their 82-game schedule, and won 35 of the 41 games. Everybody's friends at Elias have noted that only six other teams ever won at least 35 of their first 41 games since the merger. Four of them went on to win the NBA title (see: 1982-83 Sixers, 1991-92 Bulls, 1995-96 Bulls, 1996-97 Bulls). But the last one to do it didn't do it (see: 2005-06 Pistons). The other one to come up short was the 1977-78 Blazers. So, advantage Michael Jordan. And Dr. J.

SportsCenter Rundown : UNFRIENDLY PAT-DOWN (January 17)

• 3 weeks later...

Yo:

The Spurs are just the eighth team in history to win 40 games in 47 games or fewer.

How's this for an encouraging omen? Six of their seven predecessors went on to win the championship.

The full breakdown, courtesy of our friends at the Elias Sports Bureau:

Fewest Games Needed For 40 Wins

Season Team Gms Playoff Result

1995-96 Bulls 43 Won NBA Finals

1971-72 Lakers 44 Won NBA Finals

1966-67 76ers 44 Won NBA Finals

1996-97 Bulls 45 Won NBA Finals

1982-83 76ers 46 Won NBA Finals

1972-73 Celtics 47 Lost East finals

1964-65 Celtics 47 Won NBA Finals

2010-11 Spurs 47 TBD

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110204-06/suns-set-keeping-nash

Quick question. How come nobody has been saying the Spurs are too old and their time is done this year? People have argued that for the past three years. Were those people wrong?

I guess it's because Duncan's minutes is limited and they are giving big minutes to George Hill and Gary Neal. Pop using DeJuan Blair as the starting C over Dice also have something to do with the change in opinion, at least to me anyway. Also, I, for one, thought Manu, Parker and Jefferson are in the declining stages of their respective careers but in reality, it's the opposite.

Quick question. How come nobody has been saying the Spurs are too old and their time is done this year? People have argued that for the past three years. Were those people wrong?

At the time they were right, the Spurs had an overall "old" roster. Guys like Kurt Thomas, Keith Bogans, Horry, Bowen etc were all on the wrong side of 30. This years squad is different. Hill, Blair, Anderson, Splitter, And Neal have given the Spurs that much needed youth. Only Tim, Manu, Mcdyess, and RJ are 30 years old or older.

• Like 1