DeMar DeRozan to Replace Brandon Jennings in Dunk Contest

Back in December, Milwaukee Bucks guard Brandon Jennings suffered a foot fracture that required surgery. So it was a bit of a surprise when, in early January, Jennings was named one of four participants in the 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, along with Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin, Washington Wizards center JaVale McGee and Oklahoma City Thunder big man Serge Ibaka.

The New York Times reported on Wednesday night that Jennings will be a scratch due to his injury and that he will be replaced by Toronto Raptors forward DeMar DeRozan.

The N.B.A. will add DeMar DeRozan to the slam dunk competition, which will be held during All-Star weekend. He will assume the spot vacated by Brandon Jennings, who is returning from a fractured left foot. DeRozan’s selection is expected to be announced on Thursday.

When news of the Dunk Contest participants broke a few weeks ago, DeRozan tweeted, "Dang! I'm not in the dunk contest this year?" Apparently, wishes really do come true sometimes.

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27154273

I know that DeRozan was average last year (although I still think he was better than Robinson but that is neither here nor there), but hopefully this season he will be much better as he will be 100% heading into the contest. Not sure if you guys remember or not, but about a couple weeks before the All-Star Weekend last year, DeRozan suffered an ankle sprain that caused him to miss some time and he wasn't 100% going into the contest.

Either way, I'm sure DeRozan will be better than Jennings would've been, so I for one am glad that he will be replacing him. Not only was it stupid to have Jennings in the contest in the first place, but having him in the contest knowing full well about his injury was just beyond ridiculous.