Athletes and Injuries

ballorama

Well with all this Jay Cutler talk about how he's a wuss for not coming in despite an injury.. I've been getting the same feedback from lots of people I talk to.

Lots of my friends who also play sports (basketball, wrestling etc.) question the toughness of athletes when they get injured and length of their injury. I hear people say they are just after the money, and when they hear about their injuries they relate it back to the sports they play and how they play despite those injuries. I for one find it ridiculous to even compare a professional level injury to a high-school or premature level injury. But it drives me nuts when people think they can compare the two..

thoughts?

The Jay Cutler situation comes from the preconceived notion that he is a baby. The way that he has handled himself throughout his career makes it seem like he LOVES to be bashed in the media. It isn't just coming from the fans though. Plenty of other football players are calling him out on it, saying that you have to give more of an effort in such a big game. I personally don't see how you can be considered a franchise player and not go out there(as Mark Schlereth said) and play until you are on a stretcher in such a game of the magnitude. Is it fair? Hell no. But what else are fans supposed to do? Just accept the fact that their guy couldn't go and they got beat? They won't do that. Someone has to be the scapegoat, and if a guy isn't playing in such a big game, he will be that scapegoat.

What is funny is that I have been blasted here for criticizing Cutler, but a lot of Bears fans are giving it to him much worse than I ever would. Think what you want, but if ARod went out with the same injury, he could NEVER live it down after the [expletive] Favre played through, and he would never hear the end of it from Packers fans.

Someone has to be the scapegoat, and if a guy isn't playing in such a big game, he will be that scapegoat.

That's the problem; when people find a scapegoat, especially a common one like Cutler, they will be completely irrational at times. This Cutler situation is one of those instances. All the crap he's done in the past is irrelevant to this isolated injury. He tried to play with it, couldn't go, the training/coaching staff felt he couldn't go, and the MRI showed he did infact have a significant injury. If he played on that injury, he would have been at a great risk of tearing his ACL (according to an article DBF posted), which would have kept him out for a very long time.

As far as injuries go, athletes know their own bodies, and they have the best doctors and trainers in the world to diagnose and treat these injuries. So, whatever they say I'll tend to believe. I've also seen too many times a coach/owner try and push the player to play through injury, and he does so and ends up royally [expletive]ing his career up (like what Adelman did with T-Mac in 2008, in which the injury eventually led to his microfracture surgery). As long as the athlete doesn't have an agenda to [expletive] his team over, then they should have their word taken seriously. If they can't go out there and make positive contributions, and are feeling significant pain, they should sit out.

I think athletes have every right to sit out when they have a semi-serious / serious injury. Their body is how they make their money, without it, they are screwed. Of course I'm not defending guys that go to the extreme, but I encourage Jay Cutler come out of that game 100%. Who knows what happens if he tears his ACL, comes back and trys to over compensate for his leg by throwing all arm and turn into Carson Palmer. Sure it's nice to have a Brett Favre but people got to understand, not everybody is Brett Favre, infact, no one is Brett Favre, which is why he is a legend. The same way you don't compare a QB's arm to Dan Marino, you shouldn't compare an athletes body/guts to that of a Favre or Leftwich.