Iguodala, Brand off the market

When the Sixers started off the season 3-13, it appeared the franchise was headed for another high draft position and would have to begin peddling assets in order to speed up the rebuilding process. Several teams -- including Cleveland and Houston -- inquired about swingman Andre Iguodala, and the Sixers were considering peddling Elton Brand, too. Those are the two biggest contracts on the payroll.

With a win over the Suns on Monday, though, the Sixers moved to 16-12 since that rough start. New coach Doug Collins has been consistent all year in his desire to play to win, rather than playing young guys and seeing how they develop. He took some criticism for not playing No. 2 overall pick Evan Turner when Turner was struggling early on, saying that Turner needed to make shots in order to get on the floor. Collins’ insistence on focusing on winning now is paying off.

The playoff push has clearly lifted the Sixers’ outlook. According sources around the league, Philadelphia is not eager to make major roster changes now, and both Iguodala and Brand are all but certain to be with the team throughout this season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-01-25/with-sixers-going-strong-iguodala-brand-off-the-market

Eh.

The "sources" seem to change their mind about this every week, so I will still not believe anything I read until the deadline passes and they are either gone or still here. I don't think Brand was ever a realistic trade candidate, due to his contract/age/injury history. Maybe that changed with the dominant start to the season he's had, maybe it hasn't.

But while we are on this topic (prepare for rant)...

The biggest problem with the NBA is that it is 100% impossible to get good value for players like this, so in theory, it is probably not worth trading them. Draft picks are pretty useless to the Sixers unless they are guaranteed to be near the top. The teams that would be trading for an Iguodala-type are most likely playoff teams with worthless picks. Cap space is also worthless to a team like the Sixers. In this age, there are almost no superstars, and the few that exist basically get to dictate where they are going to play. No superstars are coming here.

So it is a [expletive]ty situation. Keep this core together and be stuck in "neutral" for the foreseeable future, or trade them away without getting nearly enough "value". Tough decisions (although it isn't that tough when you look at it this way).

Although, as I have been saying recently, I love the strides this team has made this year. All credit to Doug Collins. But they are still no better than a first round exit. That isn't changing any time soon because of the way the league is structured. Basically the main reason that I have personally had a difficult time getting attached to the NBA, compared to the other leagues.

Anywho, /rant. Carry on!

Edited by Phightins