KG to ballboy hoping to get his ball signed: "You've got a better chance of catching Bin Laden"

Lkr

obviously, he's gonna sign some autographs during his life. I'm sure KG's signed some as well. I just don't think anyone should be entitled to signing autographs. they're not forcing anyone to be their fan, so why do they owe them anything? I think it's crazy how you say any athlete who doesn't sign autographs is worthless. what if they do community work, give donations, etc? are they still worthless just because they won't give signatures?

• Owner

obviously, he's gonna sign some autographs during his life.

According to you, he never has...but, we're already past that.

they're not forcing anyone to be their fan, so why do they owe them anything?

Already stated over and over again why. No fans, no paycheck.

I think it's crazy how you say any athlete who doesn't sign autographs is worthless. what if they do community work, give donations, etc? are they still worthless just because they won't give signatures?

If any athlete looks some 12 or 13-year old kid in the eyes and declines an autograph, then yes, they are worthless. Obviously, they won't sign one if they are late catching a plane, or getting ready to enter the game...but I don't need to give you the examples of when they should, because it's pretty obvious.

-------

ALL THIS WAS, for Garnett, was his way of staying "true" to his hatred for LA, as if he played back in the 80s. He put the series record on his shoes, always has something to say as if he walked the same road as Bird and Magic, and this is just another way to make a statement and make the news.

He's a punk, and I hope that ballboy looks at Garnett the same way a lot of people are nowadays, which is fantastic.

• Like 1

Already stated over and over again why. No fans, no paycheck.

yeah, but they're fans because they enjoy watching them play, not because they sign autographs. I think it's easy for the fans to say these athletes should sign autographs for anyone who asks, but it would be so annoying after awhile. I bet people ask KG for autographs every day of his life. I can't blame him for refusing. I also don't believe that just because someone doesn't sign autographs, they don't appreciate their fans.

If any athlete looks some 12 or 13-year old kid in the eyes and declines an autograph, then yes, they are worthless.

there's a lot of worthless people out there, then lol. I just can't agree with this at all, but no one's gonna change anyone's mind, I guess.

ALL THIS WAS, for Garnett, was his way of staying "true" to his hatred for LA, as if he played back in the 80s. He put the series record on his shoes, always has something to say as if he walked the same road as Bird and Magic, and this is just another way to make a statement and make the news.

I think it's great he's embracing the rivalry. these are the reasons I love KG.

lol you don't even realize what some of these players do for people daily. a lot of them work for the NBA Cares program, helping kids, communities, donating to charities, etc. I'm sure there's plenty of other things they do to help others besides supplying them with the greatest basketball on the planet. I love how you always critique my logic when you think not signing autographs constitutes disrespecting the fans.

I love how your logic makes absolutely no sense to me every time I read it.

Don't really have anything else to say RD has covered just about everything perfectly.

name one athlete that doesn't sign any autographs :lol:

how the hell should I know which athletes do and don't sign autographs? I just know that not all of them sign them. if you want to believe otherwise, though, that's cool lol.

I just want to make sure I got this straight before I retire from this thread: anyone who doesn't sign autographs is worthless? is that it? it doesn't matter how much charity work they do, how much they donate, how much they help people off the court - they're worthless if they don't sign autographs?

how the hell should I know which athletes do and don't sign autographs? I just know that not all of them sign them. if you want to believe otherwise, though, that's cool lol.

LMAO. So you don't know which athletes sign or don't sign autographs, but you know not all of them do. Great logic there bro.

I just want to make sure I got this straight before I retire from this thread: anyone who doesn't sign autographs is worthless? is that it? it doesn't matter how much charity work they do, how much they donate, how much they help people off the court - they're worthless if they don't sign autographs?

I don't think anyone has said that.

LMAO. So you don't know which athletes sign or don't sign autographs, but you know not all of them do. Great logic there bro.

it's common sense. anyone who thinks every professional athlete signs autographs for anyone who asks is seriously delusional.

I don't think anyone has said that.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/20948-kg-to-ballboy-hoping-to-get-his-ball-signed-youve-got-a-better-chance-of-catching-bin-laden/page__view__findpost__p__237735

every pro athlete signs autographs. if you believe otherwise, you are obtuse

lol how old are you, bro? just curious.

LOL so now you're contradicting yourself. First you say not at all and not to everyone who asks. Big difference, make up your mind honey! why debate when you can't even decide on your own argument :lol:

Edited by Lkr

I bet if they were in LA and Kobe denied to sign something for the Celtics ball boy you guys would love it and say how awesome he is.

It was a Lakers Ball Boy why should KG or any Celtic have to sign something for this Laker fan?

Laker fans don't ask for Celtic autographs, he works for the Lakers.

I bet if they were in LA and Kobe denied to sign something for the Celtics ball boy you guys would love it and say how awesome he is.

It was a Lakers Ball Boy why should KG or any Celtic have to sign something for this Laker fan?

We're not making a big deal out of that part tbh. I originally posted it because I thought his comment was pretty crazy

LOL so now you're contradicting yourself. First you say not at all and not to everyone who asks. Big difference, make up your mind honey! why debate when you can't even decide on your own argument.

I'd bet a lot that there's some who sign none at all. either way, this has nothing to do with my argument, which is that no one should be entitled to signing autographs. the fans support the players at their own will. giving out signatures isn't in KG's job description. his job is to play basketball, plain and simple. like I said, I understand the other side of the argument, but I think that if we were all pestered for autographs every day of our lives, we'd understand where KG was coming from a little more.

Learn how to read HOV, then come back to me. You completely misinterpreted RD's post.

I didn't misinterpret it at all. this is what I asked:

what if they do community work, give donations, etc? are they still worthless just because they won't give signatures?

and this was his answer:

If any athlete looks some 12 or 13-year old kid in the eyes and declines an autograph, then yes, they are worthless.

so I don't see how I misinterpreted anything. yeah, he threw in that little thing about catching a plane or whatever, but the bottom line was that any athlete who ever refused giving a kid an autograph is worthless, according to him.

The sub shop?

yeah, the sub shop lol. I read your original post. he wasn't eating. he was still standing in line when they asked him.

• Owner
so I don't see how I misinterpreted anything. yeah, he threw in that little thing about catching a plane or whatever, but the bottom line was that any athlete who ever refused giving a kid an autograph is worthless, according to him.

In other words, you know what I meant, but you want to take pieces out of it because, once again, nobody agrees with you.

Let me quote the most important piece of what you said...

but the bottom line was that any athlete who ever refused giving a kid an autograph is worthless, according to him

WRONG.

This is you, ripping pieces of my quote apart, taking out what you want to talk about and leaving out the parts you can't reply to and that hurt your argument.

Again, don't quote me if you're going to intentionally misread what I post.

Crystal clear: if an athlete is doing nothing, and has no reason to decline the autograph, he/she should sign it because fans make it possible for them to be who they are and make the money written on their checks. Did the player just lose the NBA Finals, and is sweating and pissed? Good excuse. Is he out on the beach throwing a football around with other fans, not doing anything else (like Ron Artest does all the time)? Sign it.

I shouldn't have to clarify. Everyone else read it correctly.

In other words, you know what I meant, but you want to take pieces out of it because, once again, nobody agrees with you.

because no one knows what it's like to be a professional athlete. I don't either, but I can put myself in people's shoes and understand how annoying it would be to be pestered for autographs every day of my life. I wouldn't sign autographs and I wouldn't bother asking anyone for one, either. I saw Gary Payton in Maui a few years ago and kept walking. he was playing cards with his friends and I didn't want to bother him. besides that, one person agreed with me here (the autograph collector, at that) and a few others got a kick out of KG's actions.

This is you, ripping pieces of my quote apart, taking out what you want to talk about and leaving out the parts you can't reply to and that hurt your argument.

Again, don't quote me if you're going to intentionally misread what I post.

Crystal clear: if an athlete is doing nothing, and has no reason to decline the autograph, he/she should sign it because fans make it possible for them to be who they are and make the money written on their checks. Did the player just lose the NBA Finals, and is sweating and pissed? Good excuse. Is he out on the beach throwing a football around with other fans, not doing anything else (like Ron Artest does all the time)? Sign it.

I shouldn't have to clarify. Everyone else read it correctly.

I completely understand your point. you guys think I'm misinterpreting it, but I'm not. you're saying that if an athlete is asked by a kid for his autograph, and that athlete has nothing going on, he should sign it. if he doesn't sign it, he's worthless. that, I don't agree with, and I'm surprised more people don't feel that way. I would never label anyone worthless for refusing to sign autographs, especially if I don't even know what else that person does to help people.

I already said why I still respect athletes who don't sign autographs (I wouldn't want to waste hours of my life signing things, I would hate being bothered every day, and in this internet age, I'm sure some people would sell my autographs). so obviously, I'm not gonna hate people who don't sign autographs if I wouldn't do it myself. if I had as much money as these guys, I would do other things to help, but I wouldn't give signatures.

one of the last things I'd want to do is let people use me as a source of profit for themselves. taking time out of my day to sign someone an autograph just for them to turn around and sell it is something I'd never do, and I wouldn't consider myself worthless for that, either. obviously, you and most of the members don't agree with me, and that's understandable, but I feel strongly about this and the opinion's not gonna change. on that note, I'll retire from this thread with this:

Is that you coming out the closet and admitting that you would be worthless if you were an athlete? Interesting...

:sigh:

taking time out of my day to sign someone an autograph just for them to turn around and sell it is something I'd never do, and I wouldn't consider myself worthless for that, either.