KG to ballboy hoping to get his ball signed: "You've got a better chance of catching Bin Laden"

Lkr

The link isn't working for me so I don't know how much truth that holds lol

It is funny but at the same time it makes me wonder who the hell he thinks he is? Without fans he means nothing.... respect someone that is a fan or looks up to you and just sign the autograph. If I was a ball boy I would probably be bugging the [expletive] out of these players, who knows when I will ever be that close again, I wouldn't care if I looked annoying but I sure as hell would remember a player shafting me like that lol.

I don't know what it is about fans that makes them think athletes should sign autographs for anyone who asks. if I was an athlete or a celebrity of any sort, I sure as hell wouldn't sign people's [expletive]. go ahead and call me classless, arrogant, whatever you want, but I hate being bothered by people. KG owes them nothing.

• Owner

I don't know what it is about fans that makes them think athletes should sign autographs for anyone who asks. if I was an athlete or a celebrity of any sort, I sure as hell wouldn't sign people's [expletive]. go ahead and call me classless, arrogant, whatever you want, but I hate being bothered by people. KG owes them nothing.

Without fans, none of those athletes have anything but a talent that they would be using on playgrounds and in rec leagues.

Without fans, none of those athletes have anything but a talent that they would be using on playgrounds and in rec leagues.

so because of that, all athletes and celebrities should have to sign autographs for anyone who asks them at any time? not everyone who asks KG for an autograph is a fan of his. in fact, I'm sure some of them hate KG or don't even watch basketball. they just ask for the signature so they can sell it on eBay or show it to their friends.

• Like 1

so because of that, all athletes and celebrities should have to sign autographs for anyone who asks them at any time? not everyone who asks KG for an autograph is a fan of his. in fact, I'm sure some of them hate KG or don't even watch basketball. they just ask for the signature so they can sell it on eBay or show it to their friends.

As an autograph collector, I agree. Many people, namely many adults, are only collecting autographs to sell them for money.

The video doesn't work for me, so I can't comment on KG's action.

You don't have to sign I am sure it gets old since they do it so much, but the fact that he didn't sign and threw a punchline towards this kid sucks lol.

If players disrespect fans whats the point of even having a league? I'm not over exaggerating just this situation I mean in general signing autographs doesn't seem like a huge burden, just make as many fans happy as possible, that's what it's all about these guys are just "talents" as RD mentioned without fan support.

As an autograph collector, I agree. Many people, namely many adults, are only collecting autographs to sell them for money.

The video doesn't work for me, so I can't comment on KG's action.

yeah, I mean, anyone could just turn around and sell that [expletive] online. I understand the argument for why these athletes should sign autographs. if it wasn't for the fans, most of these guys would probably be working at fast food joints across the nation. but, no one's forcing the fans to be fans. they follow basketball because they enjoy the game. that's why I don't think the players owe it to anyone to sign stuff. I wouldn't have a problem with signing them at first, but after a couple hundred or so, it would get annoying. it gets to the point where these guys are just sitting there having lunch with their families and people come up wanting autographs. that would really annoy me, especially since those same people would never give two [expletive]s about me if it wasn't for being on TV.

Honestly, with all the attention this little incident is getting, I'm sure the ballboy is really happy it turned out the way it did. KG probably signs thousands of autographs every year, but to get a punchline thrown at you that receives national attention? That, my friends, is priceless.

• Like 1

there's a difference between declining and the comment made(if true) :lol:

Still, if it's a kid as a ball boy, he shouldn't really turn him down.

• Owner

so because of that, all athletes and celebrities should have to sign autographs for anyone who asks them at any time?

No, I never said that. You're the one that stated that you'd never, ever sign autographs. That would be ignorant.

if I was an athlete or a celebrity of any sort, I sure as hell wouldn't sign people's [expletive].

That would be a slap in the face to those that buy your jerseys, buy tickets to come see you, and make it possible for your team to pay you the big bucks. Without fans, you'd be nothing.

Your signatures wouldn't make up for that, anyway. If Dwyane Wade walked up and signed an 8x10 photo for a 12-year old kid, and his dad put it on eBay, it wouldn't sell for as much as the authentic Wade jersey they spent $80 on.

Athletes that disrespect their fans are worthless, I don't care how talented they are.

• Like 4

If players disrespect fans whats the point of even having a league? I'm not over exaggerating just this situation I mean in general signing autographs doesn't seem like a huge burden, just make as many fans happy as possible, that's what it's all about these guys are just "talents" as RD mentioned without fan support.

lol you don't even realize what some of these players do for people daily. a lot of them work for the NBA Cares program, helping kids, communities, donating to charities, etc. I'm sure there's plenty of other things they do to help others besides supplying them with the greatest basketball on the planet. I love how you always critique my logic when you think not signing autographs constitutes disrespecting the fans.

there's a difference between declining and the comment made(if true) :lol:

Still, if it's a kid as a ball boy, he shouldn't really turn him down.

why not? because he's a kid, he should get whatever he wants? if KG signs that ball, I bet there's at least ten other people running up to him asking for autographs. this was a good lesson. the kid learns that not everyone is always going to be nice and friendly.

No, I never said that. You're the one that stated that you'd never, ever sign autographs. That would be ignorant.

ignorant? how is not wanting to be bothered ignorant? I'd love to here that explanation.

That would be a slap in the face to those that buy your jerseys, buy tickets to come see you, and make it possible for your team to pay you the big bucks. Without fans, you'd be nothing.

yeah, but not everyone who asks for an autograph is a fan or yours; they might not even follow basketball. they just want the autograph to sell online. this kid was a ball boy for the Lakers, so he probably hates KG. even if they are a big fan of yours, you're not forcing them to be fan, so you owe them nothing.

Your signatures wouldn't make up for that, anyway. If Dwyane Wade walked up and signed an 8x10 photo for a 12-year old kid, and his dad put it on eBay, it wouldn't sell for as much as the authentic Wade jersey they spent $80 on.

again, you're just assuming they all buy jerseys and other expensive memorabilia. I bet 98% of the people who ask KG for his autograph don't own a single thing representing him. not only that, but you're still saying athletes should sign autographs even if they know people are just gonna sell them on eBay. that makes no sense. you're wasting your time and energy, doing people a favor, just so they can make a profit off you. I would never even think to sign something for someone if I knew they were just going to turn around and sell it to someone. they couldn't even pay me to do something so incredibly degrading and foolish.

Athletes that disrespect their fans are worthless, I don't care how talented they are.

I'm laughing hysterically at this right now because I know for a [expletive]ing FACT that Kobe doesn't sign autographs.

• Owner

I'm laughing hysterically at this right now because I know for a [expletive]ing FACT that Kobe doesn't sign autographs.

I'm laughing hysterically at this right now because I know for a [expletive]ing fact I met Kobe in 2003, in Oakland, after the Warriors/Lakers game, and he shook my hand, talked with me for about three minutes, and signed a picture I had of him and Shaq.

Thank God you aren't a professional athlete. You sure the hell wouldn't get my support, and you'd have hate spewed all over the place for the way you would treat fans.

• Like 1

lol way to disregard my entire argument besides one line.

my grandparents live in the same city as Kobe (Corona Del Mar). they saw him at a Subway about five years ago and asked if he'd sign an autograph for me (I was a Laker fan at the time). he told them he didn't sign autographs and my grandparents said he was real rude to them.

last year, Kobe visited the YMCA in my hometown of Redlands. one of my facebook friends (a guy I knew in high school who played varsity basketball) was there and said Kobe refused to sign autographs for anyone.

• Owner

lol way to disregard my entire argument besides one line.

I didn't disregard anything. My last two sentences took care of the rest of what you said. Most kids that ask for an autograph keep it, and they do it because they look up to that person or support them in some way. Maybe it's just a Miami thing, if it's all about selling signatures on eBay. My brother, myself, my cousin, and a ton of people I know don't run off and try to make money off stuff like that, but oh well.

my grandparents live in the same city as Kobe (Corona Del Mar). they saw him at a Subway about five years ago and asked if he'd sign an autograph for me (I was a Laker fan at the time). he told them he didn't sign autographs and my grandparents said he was real rude to them.

Why did they do that? You don't think athletes should sign for anyone, so why are you (or anyone for you) trying to get the signature?

last year, Kobe visited the YMCA in my hometown of Redlands. one of my facebook friends (a guy I knew in high school who played varsity basketball) was there and said Kobe refused to sign autographs for anyone.

Crazy.

He signed something for me, which made you wrong. That's all that needs to be said. But, just in case...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs272.snc1/9933_1244312941278_1033012523_30775013_54978_n.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/guicone/coby3.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Lakers_players_signing_autographs.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2635407665_230b25f436.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/m818nm.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/23uzli0.jpg

In an autograph session, before the game, after the game, on the street, in camp, during a photoshoot...sure looks like it doesn't matter where he's at. Kobe signs.

Maybe he knew you would be supporting the Heat soon enough.

• Like 2