GSP/Silva Superfight in the Works

So after Silva beat Belfort last night, Dana White said at the post fight press conference that if GSP gets by Shields in April (which is basically a 99% guarantee), he will set up the fight that everybody has been longing for. He didn't specify a date or anything, although he did say that if they have a card in the new Texas Stadium, then that would be the main event.

I personally am not as stoked as others to see this fight (don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it) because I think it is going to be a mismatch. Talent wise the two are equal in their own respective ways, but Silva is just too big for GSP if you ask me. Silva is a legit 220 pound guy who can get up to 230 pounds between fights. He is also a legit 6'2. Compare that to GSP who weighs about 190 pounds and is a generous 5'11.

Regardless of all of that, I'm still looking forward to this, should it happen.

Man, I'm a fan of GSP...but this just isn't good. I'm not really sure how he's going to win the fight.

In the stand-up, GSP will get killed.

Will he even be able to take Silva down?

I don't know.

I'm sure he will be able to take Silva down, the question is whether or not he will be able to finish Silva when he gets him down because he does not want to fight on the feet with Silva. GSP is a very good striker in his own right, but he doesn't have the KO power to catch Silva and every minute the fight in on the feet, GSP is in serious danger of getting KO'd.

The one hole in Silva's game is his takedown defense, and that just happens to be GSP's bread and butter. If Sonnen was able to put Silva on his back so often in their fight, I'm sure GSP will be able to get him to the ground at least a couple of times. I just don't see him being able to get him down 5 rounds in a row before Silva catches him with some sort of flurry. I can't see GSP finishing Silva, so this would have to be a decision win and with how dangerous Silva is on the feet, and even off of his back (like he showed against Sonnen), I don't see anybody decisioning Silva to a win. There are too many opportunities for him to catch you in a 5 round fight and you better believe he will make due on one of those.

• Owner

Haha, what I meant was...will he have the opportunity to take him down? I just don't think that fight would last long, as awesome as GSP is. If he's too aggressive with his takedowns from the start, he'll most likely eat a knee, and if he doesn't maintain his composure and get the takedown after a shot like that, he's toast.

The other thing to worry about is, if he does take him down, how long will GSP be able to withstand those elbows? He's going to have to work quickly, because Silva doesn't mind being on his back against smaller opponents.

Haha, what I meant was...will he have the opportunity to take him down? I just don't think that fight would last long, as awesome as GSP is. If he's too aggressive with his takedowns from the start, he'll most likely eat a knee, and if he doesn't maintain his composure and get the takedown after a shot like that, he's toast.

The other thing to worry about is, if he does take him down, how long will GSP be able to withstand those elbows? He's going to have to work quickly, because Silva doesn't mind being on his back against smaller opponents.

I don't think you have to worry about GSP being too aggressive or losing his composure. Aside from Fedor, GSP is probably the most composed fighter in all of MMA. He is the master at following a gameplan to a tee. Silva can do all of his usual antics, dance around, taunt or anything like that, but I doubt it will goad GSP into doing anything stupid, like it did to Forrest Griffin or Damian Maia.

I wouldn't be too worried about him getting hurt from elbows from the bottom. Silva is a lanky bastard, but GSP's top game is too good to get KO'd from elbows from the bottom or something like that. I would be more worried about Silva pulling a triangle out of his [expletive], like he tends to do from time to time (hello, Chael Sonnen).

I agree with the general point that you are making, though. I can't see GSP winning this fight either. Just a bad matchup for him due to the size advantage that Silva is going to have over him (Jake Shields makes GSP look small and there is now way that he could fight at 205 like Silva does), and probably even stylistically as well.