Kobe or J.R.?

Multi-Billionaire

Cmon? Who's your pick?

:lol:

I'm not comparing but I've said it in the past that J.R. has Kobe moves, check Kobe's vintage 97-98 360 lay-up against Hawks (#4 countdown - 1:16) that I've wanted to find for a long time...

compare that to J.R.'s own 360...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJ1SLOVvuY

J.R. just gotta develop mid-range game, post up game, defense, and he's easily the Next Kobe. Too bad, he's too stubborn.

• Like 1

• Owner
J.R. just gotta develop mid-range game, post up game, defense, and he's easily the Next Kobe. Too bad, he's too stubborn.

You forgot:

leadership

basketball IQ

primacy

offensive awareness

clutch factor

killer instinct

mental stability

brains

So, basically, he can do a 360 layup and can make a nice little pass every 25 games, and he can rebound (because he can jump). So he could probably be the best player in the NBA if he really tried, correct? If he wasn't so damn stubborn?

• Like 1

We're really going to have a thread comparing JR Smith to the likes of Kobe Bryant? What on earth could possibly possess someone to even think that these 2 are even remotely on the same level. The difference in talent, skill and everything else basketball related is so big that this isn't even debatable. Wow...just wow.

/JR by a mile.

The only even comparisons between Kobe and J.R. Smith is their height/weight, athleticism, and body control.

Just because J.R. can do similar moves from time to time doesn't mean these moves are a part of his skillset. If his skills are truly comparable to Kobe, he needs to be able to execute these moves on a consistent basis. If you watch a particular highlight video of Kobe on youtube (I think it's called "greatness personified"), you will find that Kobe seems to have a move for every situation, and he doesn't just execute these moves once or twice, but extremely consistently throughout his career. It's because of how vast his skills are, and also his discipline, focus, and work ethic to continue growing his overall game.

J.R. Smith, on the other hand, will do these moves very rarely, and more often than not are mere attempts. I can understand that an argument can be made that IF J.R. Smith had Kobe's level of discipline, focus, and work ethic, then he MIGHT be just as good. Thing is, these 'what if's are a far fetched argument, because that would be like saying "if Chris Quinn had Nash's brain and whatnot, he would be just as good", or maybe it would be like saying "if I worked on my math skills 10 hours a day, I could be the next Albert Einstein". Because the reality is, J.R. isn't genetically inclined to have the same level of drive as Kobe, nor the level of intensity, nor the mental toughness, and so on and so forth. Yes, the brain is as much of a genetic as your body.

Overall, even though there may be a couple similarities, there are too many elements in the game where J.R. does not stand close to Kobe, and much of it starts from a mental aspect and work ethic, which J.R. does not have.

J.R. Smith is simply NOT Kobe Bryant.

Edited by Poe
  • Like 1

• Owner

Hate to say it, but my boy AAA doesn't touch J.R. when it comes to athleticism.

If we can have J.R.'s athleticism and physical tools... and... AAA's brain, mentality, hardwork, never-ending hunger and need for improvement, in one package, he'd be the next Kobe.

James White is athletic as well, doesn't mean much. You don't need athleticism to be an excellent player.