Last Book you Read and Rate It

Oliver P

There is no literature discussion whatsoever in this forum (which is not surprising as less and less people read, sadly...) so I figured that I would at least try to start one with this thread.

So same with htown's "Last Movie you Saw and Rate It" but with books this time, just tell us what was the last book you read, rate it and tell us what you thought of it. I am sure that this thread will not have the same success as the movie one but well, we will see, I might get surprised.

Anyhow the last book I read was "The Phantom of the Opera".

Leroux%20-%20Le%20fantome%20de%20l%27opera.jpg

A classic book that I always wanted to read but for some reasons never did... And so I finally read it and I have to say that it was really an amazing book indeed, definitely one of the best I've read. It's fascinating from the beginning to the end, I enjoyed every word of it. It's a must read, not doubt about that.

So I give it a 10/10.

Anyone have any recommendations for a fantasy series? Nothing too cliched though please.

Going to start on A Game of Thrones once my brother is done with it, I heard its on par with Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings.

Edited by Dash

Today I finished R.J. Ellory's A Quiet Belief in Angels.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/40770000/40776545.JPG

A friend advised me to read it and I have to say that I was right to listen to him... I didn't know about RJ Ellory before, he's still a young writer, and he's honestly amazingly talented. One of the best books I read indeed. VERY well written. And the story is fascinating. I advise it to anyone who likes thriller, you will like it for sure. I will definitely have to check out Ellory's other books.

I give it a 9/10.

• 1 month later...

http://munrobooks.com/assets/productImages/9780553573398.jpg

8/10

The book is a drag early on but the last 150 were so good that I couldn't help but give it a positive rating. What I loved about it was that it was so dark and the main character was the furthest thing from a Gary Stu although it got kind of depressing when Hobb kept emphasizing how crappy the MC's life was. Still a good book and I think I'll head to Borders today and pick the second book.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read atonement? it is so sad and brilliant at the same time. some of the humor had me laughing so hard. For example, best pickup line ever:

"In my dreams I kiss your cunt, your sweet wet cunt. In my thoughts I make love to you all day long."

I'm currently reading Limitless (well, the book was originally called The Dark Fields but since the movie, they republished it under the Limitless name, which was stupid in my opinion). I'm liking it so far and can't wait to finish it.

• 3 months later...

Read this a while ago but I'll post a review anyway.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U8QB6JCrpoQ/TezdHyqClWI/AAAAAAAAAFY/ehTElqKLUNo/s1600/Game-of-thrones.jpg

9/10

Game of Thrones has a VERY interesting concept, instead of following just one characters throughout the series, you are given about a dozen. Most characters critical to the plot are given chapters from their own point of view, and some may be the villains of another point of view. Some characters you'd expect to get POVs don't such as Robb and Renly but you see them enough in some of the other character's POV.

Only thing keep it from a perfect 10 is that the beginning was a tad slow, but considering that its the first book of 7 its to be expected. The plot was gritty and kept you glued to the book until the very last chapter, tons of twists and turns and no character is shielded from being "too important in this plot". Meaning tons of characters do die during the course of the series, some you might be pissed about and some that you will rejoice about. Speaking of the characters, Martin does a solid in characterization and several of his characters stick out and become some of your favorites early on the book (Ned, Jon Snow, Tyrion are personally my top 3). There are a couple characters that I despise and I have to force myself to read through their chapters (Bran, Sansa and Dany are the worst), which is another reason I can't give Game of Thrones a perfect 10 but plot is gripping enough that you'll bear through it.

Anyways I highly recommend Game of Thrones and the rest of the A Song of Ice and Fire series, its one of the very best new book series on the market.

• 4 weeks later...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uB90%2BxrSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

9.5/10

Epic. The only thing keeping it back from a perfect 10 is Dany's chapters and I felt it dragged just a little bit in the middle when it was setting up for all the major battles.

Best POV: Tyrion Lannister

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9XzDGnDAGDc/TLUPthqARKI/AAAAAAAAAQo/4TyE3OmViqg/s1600/055357342X.jpg

10/10

One of the best books I have ever read. Tons of twist and turns and there a few shocking characters deaths, some that pissed off a lot of fans (including myself). Regardless it was an amazing read.

Best POV: Jon Snow/Tyrion Lannister

• 1 year later...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uB90%2BxrSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

9.5/10

Epic. The only thing keeping it back from a perfect 10 is Dany's chapters and I felt it dragged just a little bit in the middle when it was setting up for all the major battles.

Best POV: Tyrion Lannister

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9XzDGnDAGDc/TLUPthqARKI/AAAAAAAAAQo/4TyE3OmViqg/s1600/055357342X.jpg

10/10

One of the best books I have ever read. Tons of twist and turns and there a few shocking characters deaths, some that pissed off a lot of fans (including myself). Regardless it was an amazing read.

Best POV: Jon Snow/Tyrion Lannister

what did you think of AFFC and ADWD?

• 2 months later...

what did you think of AFFC and ADWD?

Sorry for the late reply but to put it lightly, I despised both books. AFFC and ADWD were meant to be one book but God knows what was going on in Martin's head and AFFC was essentially an entire book on the lesser important characters. It was only 600 pages but it was mostly crap aside from one or two POVs. Literally I could sum up what happens to each character in the book in just 2 sentences. No need for this book at all. I did like that a certain new POV made things pretty entertaining, won't say who though.

ADWD was 1,000 pages of setting shit up and introducing pointless POVs that only annoyed you. Really I can't think of anything that significant that happens other than near the end of Dany's POV in the book, but I can't think of any sane person that even cares about her or Meereen at this point or even want to torture themselves into reading her chapters. Something pretty big does happen in Westeros too but when I read it, I just wasn't shocked at all.

Basically they should have just been one book and could have cut A LOT of unneeded shit out to make it a more enjoyable read. I'm probably being too harsh here but I'm going to give GRRM some serious credit for setting up the 6th book beautifully. We're pretty much guaranteed an epic 6th and 7th book unless GRRM somehow [expletive]s up bad.