Pistons to Retire Dennis Rodman's Jersey

“I’m pleased that we are honoring Dennis for his accomplishments as a player and his contributions to the success of the organization,” said Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations and a teammate of Rodman’s. “His jersey retirement is well-deserved.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20110211/SPORTS03/110211035/Pistons-retire-Rodman-s-No-10-jersey

I obviously didn't see Rodman play as a member of the Pistons, but it is about time he got some recognition for being the amazing player that he was.

• Like 1

Even though he only played 3 seasons as a Bull, he should be retired there as well for his tremendous rebounding rate.

He missed 18 games the first season in Chicago and 27 in his second, no way should he get his jersey retired there. He was great, don't get me wrong, but three seasons is not enough.

He missed 18 games the first season in Chicago and 27 in his second, no way should he get his jersey retired there. He was great, don't get me wrong, but three seasons is not enough.

It is definitely enough and his jersey definitely should be retired there as well.

Except from Rodman all the major players from the 96 team were already there in 95. Now of course Jordan had just come back in 95 but still, when we look at it his stats were already as good as it was the following years IN THE PLAYOFFS. In fact his FG% was even better than it was the following years... Yet the Bulls lost against the Magic in 6 games. You add Rodman to that team and they win three rings in a row. This shows the importance of Rodman as a Bull.

Besides it's in the 96 Finals that Rodman had his career highlights. I don't think that any player in the history of the game had such an incredible defensive performance as he had in those Finals (except maybe Russell...).

George Karl even said that it was ONLY because of Rodman that the Sonics lost games 2 and 6. Rodman grabbed 11 offensive rebounds in each of these two games which tied an NBA Finals records. As a matter of fact only Elvin Hayes also grabbed 11 offensive rebounds in one Finals game in 79. Rodman did it twice in the same Finals... And he got Kemp completely out of the game both times.

Many people think that he should have been Finals MVP. I am one of them. I think that he and Jordan should have been co-MVP and if Rodman alone was Finals MVP I have to say that it would have been fine by me.

For the record it's also as a Bull that Rodman had his only triple double with 10 pts, 21 rbds and 10 asts.

So he may have missed some games (mainly because of the incident with the cameraman in 97 and we all know that he didn't deserve to be suspended as that guy was obviously faking being injured...) but what's that compared to all what he brought to the team ? Without Dennis the Bulls wouldn't have three more rings, as simple as that.

The Bulls HAVE to retire his jersey.

Back to topic it's about time the Pistons retire his jersey indeed, congrats to him it's more than deserved. He was a major part of the Pistons team that was one of the very best of the 80's/90's. And he's probably the only player in the NBA history who could guard any player, from point guard to center, just as efficiently.

He has to become a Hall of Famer soon.

• Like 1