Brandon Roy to play only 1-2 more years?

http://media.oregonlive.com/john_canzano_impact/photo/9280132-small.jpg

Given that Dr. Roberts is a respected doc who deals it straight, the bet here is that Roberts informed the Blazers that Roy's knees were risky business.

So either we have an organization that ignored a solid medical opinion or looked the other way. Either that, or owner Paul Allen simply made an emotional decision because it was Roy, who had delivered for him so often before. One NBA source told me Friday after considering the particulars, "that whole deal could have easily been a 'Get it done' mandate that was sent from Seattle."

The "consulting surgeon" whispers that he believes the best-case strategy for handling Roy is this: A) Limit Roy's practice reps to almost nothing; B) Play him off the bench in 65-75 or so games a season, choosing rest in key spots; C) pray.

Surgeon suspects the Blazers might get 1-2 years out of Roy employing this strategy. Right now, I think they'd take that, and hope for the best. Roy is a fierce competitor and I won't count him out.

Roy says he's thinking of making a Feb. 16 return. I don't know if you'll find a soul pulling against the guy.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/02/post_4.html

So wait, are all these problems a result of him playing in the playoffs last season? If so..then I hate to say I told you so.

It's the result of the Blazers drafting a guy with bad knees. This is the risk they took. The Spurs will probably go through this with DeJuan Blair in several seasons.