Best defensive PG in the league right now

Newman

Kirk Hinrich. Rondo has been playing behind two defensive anchors most of his career...a good defender, but not the best in the league.

Interesting choice, you like Hinrich even at this stage in his career?

I used to say Kirk, but I'm going with Rondo now.

One of the biggest responsibility for a PG on defense is defending the pick n roll. Rondo is without a shadow of a doubt the best in that regard, and he's considered elite or near elite in a few other defensive categories such as creating turnovers, grabbing rebounds, doubling post players, etc. Kirk has him beat with man to man defense because of his size and versatility, but other than that, Rondo is better.

• Owner

I used to say Kirk, but I'm going with Rondo now.

One of the biggest responsibility for a PG on defense is defending the pick n roll. Rondo is without a shadow of a doubt the best in that regard, and he's considered elite or near elite in a few other defensive categories such as creating turnovers, grabbing rebounds, doubling post players, etc). Kirk has him beat with man to man defense because of his size and versatility, but other than that, Rondo is better.

Pick and roll defense relies on those anchors. Without them, Rondo would be in much more trouble. Boston was getting murdered against the P&R when Shaq was in the game.

Rondo has Hinrich on the defensive boards, and he's better at creating turnovers because he plays the passing lanes better. Rondo would be less of a defensive player if he didn't have Garnett, Perkins and even Pierce lurking, holding their opposition, helping on doubles, etc. Rajon is good at helping on post players? He does it against the bench post...because Boston rarely doubles with Perk and Garnett in the game.

But, you stick a point guard on a PG/SG/SF, and it's Hinrich...in the same manner you would've done with Jason Kidd back in the 2000's (although Kidd was a better defender, and one of the best defensive PGs in the history of the game).

Pick and roll defense relies on those anchors. Without them, Rondo would be in much more trouble. Boston was getting murdered against the P&R when Shaq was in the game.

Rondo has Hinrich on the defensive boards, and he's better at creating turnovers because he plays the passing lanes better. Rondo would be less of a defensive player if he didn't have Garnett, Perkins and even Pierce lurking, holding their opposition, helping on doubles, etc. Rajon is good at helping on post players? He does it against the bench post...because Boston rarely doubles with Perk and Garnett in the game.

But, you stick a point guard on a PG/SG/SF, and it's Hinrich...in the same manner you would've done with Jason Kidd back in the 2000's (although Kidd was a better defender, and one of the best defensive PGs in the history of the game).

Did you watch the most recent Celtics-Heat game where Rondo contained LeBron?

I'm pretty sure Rondo can guard PG/SG/SF.

• Owner

Did you watch the most recent Celtics-Heat game where Rondo contained LeBron?

I'm pretty sure Rondo can guard PG/SG/SF.

...you really think he contained LeBron? James wasn't even aggressive, and I'm pretty sure he scored an easy layup on him.

If the Heat set up a LeBron ISO, and Rondo was on him, Garnett would be picking up a foul every time. LeBron tried working out of the post, passing it out. Do you really think Rondo has the strength to contain LeBron in the post, especially when Ron Artest couldn't?

...you really think he contained LeBron? James wasn't even aggressive, and I'm pretty sure he scored an easy layup on him.

If the Heat set up a LeBron ISO, and Rondo was on him, Garnett would be picking up a foul every time. LeBron tried working out of the post, passing it out. Do you really think Rondo has the strength to contain LeBron in the post, especially when Ron Artest couldn't?

LeBron wasn't aggressive because Rondo contained him. LeBron is a very smart player, he knows mismatches and how to take advantage. Do you think it was because LeBron wasn't aggressive that led him to being contained by Rondo? How can you discount Rondo containing one of the best penetrators and scorers in the NBA just because he has KG on his team?

When Hinrich was on the Bulls and had another great defensive player in Tyson Chandler manning the post he was never as good as Rondo at defending multiple positions.

Start the below video at 6:27 to watch Rondo completely keep LeBron out of his normal game. You can even watch at 7:25 to see LeBron score against Rondo in Iso, but Rondo plays excellent defense even though he scores. I know these are only two examples, but they're two good examples of Rondo's excellent defense. Also, Rondo's excellent defense wore LeBron down the entire which in my opinion may have caused him to breathe so heavy towards the end and miss the free throw to tie it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZkkMqvwsk

Edited by N/A

You realize that straight man-to-man defense, for point guards, equates to about 25% of the total possessions over the course of the season? There are maybe 5-6 point guards in the entire league capable of breaking someone down off the dribble without the help of a pick. Being able to disrupt the high Screen-Roll game is so much more important for PGs than straight man-to-man defense, and Rondo is far and away the best in the league at that, with Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook behind him.

It's ridiculous to say Rondo's success is based on how good his team is on defense because of all the things Rondo does individually. And Kirk is not a lockdown defender, I don't think I've seen him lockdown anyone this year.

But that's a stupid way to look at it because Rondo would never be asked to guard players like that. It's like judging Wade vs. Kobe defensively based on how they would stack up against Dwight Howard.

You realize that straight man-to-man defense, for point guards, equates to about 25% of the total possessions over the course of the season? There are maybe 5-6 point guards in the entire league capable of breaking someone down off the dribble without the help of a pick. Being able to disrupt the high Screen-Roll game is so much more important for PGs than straight man-to-man defense, and Rondo is far and away the best in the league at that, with Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook behind him.

It's ridiculous to say Rondo's success is based on how good his team is on defense because of all the things Rondo does individually. And Kirk is not a lockdown defender, I don't think I've seen him lockdown anyone this year.

But that's a stupid way to look at it because Rondo would never be asked to guard players like that. It's like judging Wade vs. Kobe defensively based on how they would stack up against Dwight Howard.

I honestly believe that Real Deal has not seen Hinrich the past two years to know how much he has regressed. When Hinrich can't shut down rookies such as Roddy B(refer to video posted above) you know he has regressed.

I honestly believe that Real Deal has not seen Hinrich the past two years to know how much he has regressed. When Hinrich can't shut down rookies such as Roddy B(refer to video posted above) you know he has regressed.

RD is a huge Hinrich fan so I'm sure he has seen plenty of his games over the past few years.. And one video does not solidify your argument.

RD is a huge Hinrich fan so I'm sure he has seen plenty of his games over the past few years.. And one video does not solidify your argument.

My video does prove that Rondo did contain LeBron, and Real Deal didn't think Rondo contained LeBron.

It also indicated LeBron looking to find his teammates more than looking to score.

He couldn't get in the position he wanted to score, therefore he passed.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do in basketball?

• Owner

So...Rondo wasn't asked to defend LeBron?

Almost every good point guard can break their opposition down off the dribble. CP3, Williams, Harris, Rondo, Rose, Lawson, Westbrook, Curry, Parker...and if they can't do it that way, they do it with their bodies (Billups, for example). No individual perimeter defense will contain a good-to-elite player. If you're trying to disregard the importance of on-ball defense at the point, you should probably take a look at the Lakers and what they have to do on the defensive end to make up for Fisher's crap defense. Same with Orlando...Howard makes Nelson look like a MUCH better defender than he really is, because point guards are too intimidated by what's awaiting them down low. Did you watch the Kobe/Shaq Lakers? Fisher looked like a defensive stud at times...but it was because no point guard (other than Iverson) wanted to get laid out by Shaq underneath the rim.

However, it takes a lot to make up for the lack of defense at the point. Bryant is always roaming because of it, and not being able to close out shooters. Drew and Odom are always in foul trouble. Gasol is always late getting back to the rim.

You have three options on a P&R...you can go under, over, or switch. When you're out on an island with a dangerous PG, or you're taken into the post by Deron Williams or Chauncey Billups (or Wade, Bryant, or another strong two), you're more than likely done if you don't have the necessary help.

Rondo is far and away the better overall player, but Hinrich is the better defender. It's not by much, but if I one guy to defend Dwyane Wade on the last shot of a game, it's going to be Kirk. A pick and roll will depend much more on the help defense, based on the decision of my point guard to begin with. If Rondo wants to send Parker into Gasol, it's not difficult...Fisher does it all the time. If I want Rondo to keep Parker from penetrating the lane, and I'm playing Caracter and Odom in my frontcourt, well, I might as well expect the worst.

• Owner

You really want Kirk on D-Wade?

Would you like me to show you a video of Starks completely owning Michael Jordan? Then we can all say that, by the looks of it, Jordan was nothing more than a glorified all-star? :rolleyes:

Wade struggled against Chicago on and off. Like I said, no individual perimeter defense will ever stop a good scorer. The closest you'll ever get to that is Scottie Pippen and Gary Payton, who are better perimeter defenders than anyone in the NBA today, and even they would get lit up without significant help every once in a while.

Did you see Kobe destroy Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell and Shane Battier? He has, plenty of times...and he also had trouble with them. Does that mean you would rather have Rondo defending a prime Bryant, since I could probably find proof that he picked those three apart? Get real, dude.

Would you like me to show you a video of Starks completely owning Michael Jordan? Then we can all say that, by the looks of it, Jordan was nothing more than a glorified all-star? :rolleyes:

Wade struggled against Chicago on and off. Like I said, no individual perimeter defense will ever stop a good scorer. The closest you'll ever get to that is Scottie Pippen and Gary Payton, who are better perimeter defenders than anyone in the NBA today, and even they would get lit up without significant help.

Did you see Kobe destroy Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell and Shane Battier? He has, plenty of times...and he also had trouble with them. Does that mean you would rather have Rondo defending a prime Bryant, since I could probably find proof that he picked those three apart? Get real, dude.

I like how you use examples of players not named Kirk Hinrich or Rajon Rondo to prove your point, but whatever.

Rondo is a better defender than Hinrich and the world knows it.

Kirk is a great defender, but Rondo is better.

Rondo has averaged more steals per game in his career, he is a better on-ball defender, he annoys the hell out of whoever he defends (like LeBron), and he's quicker than Kirk so he can guard even the quickest PG's.

I realize you like Kirk and all, but if Kirk makes such a great impact on defense why is Washington 21st in the NBA in defensive efficiency when Kirk played 30 mpg per game there? They have a great defending center in McGee so you can't so Kirk is by himself.

The past is the past, and Rondo is the present and future of the best defensive NBA PG.

But you're acting as if Kirk has been a great defender this year. I haven't been as impressed with him this year as I have in years past. Rondo has surpassed him in my eyes simply because he does more on defense than any one PG in this league. When you factor in all of that, how can you not say Rondo? Kirk has him beat in man to man defense due to his size, but even then it's pretty close.

You're not going to find defenses built around attacking the ball with bulldog defenders like Payton and Pippen, because of the rule changes limiting the effectiveness of guys like that it's all about defending the paint with help defense and rotating. Guys like Rondo and CP3 create extra possessions for their team by forcing turnovers and crashing the boards.

And does it matter if Rondo is not as good of an on ball defender? 75% of PG's today can't beat him off the dribble regardless.

We can't keep discrediting Rondo because he plays for the Celtics. I see it way too much regarding his offense, but now we see the significance of him in the lineup now. On defense it's the same way, if he's out of that lineup, they aren't the top defense in the league.

And let's not use the logic of saying if you want one player guarding Wade... The answer is obviously Kirk because he managed to lock him up before...