GQ: Lakers fans worst in NBA

GQ went looking for the worst fans in sports and only one NBA team made the list. The Los Angeles Lakers. Here's what GQ wrote:

Congratulations, Angelenos! You are the fairest of America’s fair-weather fans! The Lakers unfaithful abandoned their team en masse when Magic retired in 1991, then reconfirmed their fickleness by sending local TV ratings plummeting 30 percent after Shaq departed in 2004. Meanwhile, in these championship days, the Staples Center is more bar scene than sports complex, where fans can’t be bothered to clap—their hands are too busy texting.

“The focus is sometimes not on the court,” coach Phil Jackson has said. “It’s on the people in the crowd.” Which explains why eight box suites were recently combined into an offshoot of an abominable nightclub, the Hyde Lounge. After VIPs pass a clipboard gauntlet—at a sports stadium—they can eat $21 nachos at a crocodile-skin bar while waiting for the space to transform into a postbuzzer dance club. When it’s time to leave, a valet will even bring around their bandwagon.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212324/GQ_Finds_Lakers_Fans_Worst_In_NBA#ixzz1GuiHKltE

GQ is just trolling for page views. And they succeeded. They managed to have Phillies fans all riled up this afternoon for listing them as the worst in all of sports. Really, does it matter what GQ thinks about anything sports related?

Lmao yeah I saw this, not surprised at all that Maryland made the list...some people in college park just take things way too far. I remember hearing about how a few kids found out JJ Redick's phone number and started stalking him, he had to change it a few times.

• Owner
the Staples Center is more bar scene than sports complex, where fans can’t be bothered to clap—their hands are too busy texting.

Soon, I'm going to become a celebrity and pay thousands of dollars for those seats, too...which would suddenly classify me as a "fan" of the Lakers...right?

:rolleyes:

If they wanted to find out about the Lakers fans, they should probably start paying attention to those that aren't rich, in movies, and that actually know more than 25% of the players on the team (Jack, Snoop excluded, among a few others).

I'm not surprised. Lakers fans aren't that loyal. Where were these guys in the 90s, NOWHERE! After Shaq left, they disbanded and came back when they got Gasol. They just bunch of band wagoners. True fans are fans of Warriors.

• Like 1

Staples is underrated, it can get rockin when it needs to. Yeah we are pretty quiet compared to most arenas, but cmon, we have had so much success. When the Lakers go on a run, the crowd just erupts. When I went to the Finals last year it was an incredible atmosphere all game.

I'm not surprised. Lakers fans aren't that loyal. Where were these guys in the 90s, NOWHERE! After Shaq left, they disbanded and came back when they got Gasol. They just bunch of band wagoners. True fans are fans of Warriors.

What are you talking about? Thats an idiotic thing to say. The Lakers sold out all their games even when Shaq left and they were an 8 seed. Even I went to 2 games in 05 and 06. Laker fans were still loyal through the post Shaq years.

on your first 2 sentences i agree and disagree. Don't generalize too much, there are some real loyal Laker fans who stuck up with them even in the 90's. who got worried about Kobe raping some white chick, got worried about Kobe asking for a trade.. I agree partly becausei believe 60% of our fanbase are bandwagons.

i think the celebs should get a lot of the blame

its like they think if they act like laker fans they will get a part in a movie or something lol, probably think that if your not a laker fan you wont be successful in hollywood lol (come to think of it...that might actually be true in some cases i bet lol)

Edited by Clutch

All I am gonna say is it will be interesting to see how many Laker fans there are after Kobe has moved on, whether it is retiring or on a new team in the last years of his career. I know there are a lot of loyal Kobe fans out there, but not so sure about loyal Laker fans. It will be interesting, but in the meantime I'll just sit back and let everyone else fight it out. If you yourself are a loyal fan, then who cares about the rest of the organization's fans, just do you.

I wonder why Boston isn't on the list, their fans didn't even show up before 08

that's actually a valid point, but it's hard to compare those fanbases because of the size of their respective markets. there's approximately four million people in Los Angeles whereas there's just over half a million in Boston. those are huge differences, and that's how the Warriors do so well even though their team sucks every year. in Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco combined, you've probably got a few million people, with public transportation readily available. it's really scary to think how well the Warriors will do in attendance after the Kings move out of the bay area. they'll probably be top five every year. Cali's the most populous state in the nation with about 37 million residents.

What are you talking about? Thats an idiotic thing to say. The Lakers sold out all their games even when Shaq left and they were an 8 seed. Even I went to 2 games in 05 and 06. Laker fans were still loyal through the post Shaq years.

I'm taking about Laker fans are terrible and just a bunch of bandwagoners. You'll see when the Lakers dynasty ends they're fans will leave and hop on Clippers bandwagon(if they become good)

I highly agree.

Thank you Yugo.

on your first 2 sentences i agree and disagree. Don't generalize too much, there are some real loyal Laker fans who stuck up with them even in the 90's. who got worried about Kobe raping some white chick, got worried about Kobe asking for a trade.. I agree partly becausei believe 60% of our fanbase are bandwagons.

More like %80 are bandwagons, that's the Laker fan base. %10 are celebrities and %10 are real fans.

80% of our fan base is band wagoners? Haha, ok. :lol:

Before the Celtics acquired the Big 3, Boston fans were chanting MVP for Kobe, at the Garden. I'd bet my house that you would NEVER, ever, hear Laker fans chant MVP for an opposing player, especially if it was Celtic player.

I've been a Laker fan my entire life, and I'll continue to be one once this dynasty ends.

• Owner

Every single Lakers fan on this board has been a Lakers fan since at least 2005 (I know them from here or from another place), and when OTR went up in 2005, the Lakers ended up being a 34-win team and missing the playoffs.

Two seasons later, we had a 42 and a 45-win season, out in the first round.

Still had those fans, though.

People don't understand how big the fanbase is. We have the most bandwagoners, I'm sure, and we also have the most dedicated fans.

Hmm...that was just one season after our 34-win season, and also pre-Gasol and post-Shaq. Looks like a bunch of bandwagoners, and a bunch of fans texting...goodness.

80% of our fan base is band wagoners? Haha, ok. :lol:

Before the Celtics acquired the Big 3, Boston fans were chanting MVP for Kobe, at the Garden. I'd bet my house that you would NEVER, ever, hear Laker fans chant MVP for an opposing player, especially if it was Celtic player.

You're bringing out the big guns out too soon. You should have waited for celtic fans bashing the lakers about fan loyalty then you say that. Hahaha. But yeah, i respect some of the Celtic fans who stuck with their teams in their irrelevant years. What makes me sick is the bandwagons who talks a lot of shit when in the first place they were nowhere near the Celtics when they were basically a scrub team. Pathetic fans

that's actually a valid point, but it's hard to compare those fanbases because of the size of their respective markets. there's approximately four million people in Los Angeles whereas there's just over half a million in Boston. those are huge differences, and that's how the Warriors do so well even though their team sucks every year. in Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco combined, you've probably got a few million people, with public transportation readily available. it's really scary to think how well the Warriors will do in attendance after the Kings move out of the bay area. they'll probably be top five every year. Cali's the most populous state in the nation with about 37 million residents.

Sactown..bay area? Get the [expletive] out