Shutting down Deron?

Universe

Billy King is flying to Washington Saturday to discuss several possible scenarios on Deron Williams' future, including shutting down their star player for the season... starting with Sunday afternoon's game vs. the Wizards.

"Our options include Deron continuing to play and we just continue to treat him," Avery Johnson said during a conference call with the Nets' beat writers. "Other options may include just resting him for tomorrow’s game and maybe Monday or maybe shutting him down for 3 to five days and seeing if his wrist calms down a little bit."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/3/19/2060306/nets-brass-to-discuss-williams-future

The free agency class doesn't have any obtainable All-Stars but there are plenty of starting quality players that would do well next to a star like Deron, and maybe get the Nets into the playoffs.

like who?

Jamal Crawford

Caron Butler

Tyson Chandler

Aaron Afflalo

Wilson Chandler

Kenyon Martin

Nene

JR Smith

Rodney Stuckey

Tayshaun Prince

Yao Ming

DeAndre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Zach Randolph

Shane Battier

Mario Chalmers

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Marco Belineli

Carl Landry

David West

Jason Richardson

Thaddeus Young

Aaron Brooks

Grant Hill

Greg Oden

Marcus Thornton

Nick Young

Like I said in the post above, FAR from crap.

• Like 3

David West is FAR from crap.

West has an early termination option. he'd first have to exersice that, then choose the Nets as an unrestricted free agent. I think signing him would be a bad move for Jersey. they'd have to pay him big bucks and that's not a good idea when they already have a younger Humphries.

Your trolling is strong tonight.

how am I trolling?

Jamal Crawford

Caron Butler

Tyson Chandler

Aaron Afflalo

Wilson Chandler

Kenyon Martin

Nene

JR Smith

Rodney Stuckey

Tayshaun Prince

Yao Ming

DeAndre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Zach Randolph

Shane Battier

Mario Chalmers

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Marco Belineli

Carl Landry

David West

Jason Richardson

Thaddeus Young

Aaron Brooks

Grant Hill

Greg Oden

Marcus Thornton

Nick Young

the guys in bold I deem as unrealistic options since Jersey already has better and/or younger players at those positions. I suppose they could sign one or two of those guys if they wanted, but it wouldn't make sense. for instance, they could shell out millions on Nene, but it wouldn't be a good move when they already have Lopez.

some of the guys not in bold would be nice acquisitions, but I'm sure most if not all of them are restricted free agents. the Nets would have to outbid everyone for those players and that might not be such a good idea when they're looking toward next summer's free agency class. Prince or Afflalo might be a good move, but they're unlikely.

Refer to my post in this topic: http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/21547-what-if-deron-doesnt-sign-extension/page__view__findpost__p__245769

Along with the points in that post, this trade has woken this team up, whether or not Deron is on the court. There's a different energy level, and with an edited playbook, Lopez seems to be utilized in way more suited for his talents.

Ticket sales have improved greatly. We've had five sellouts in six games. Deron has also mentioned multiple times his plans to try and recruit FA's this summer. There's not a whole lot more to ask for.

Edited by Waldo

The Nets have decided to shut Deron Williams down for the next three games, but have not made the decision to end his season, coach Avery Johnson announced. Williams will miss Sunday afternoon's game in Washington against the Wizards, Monday night's home game against Indiana, and Wednesday's game at Cleveland.

"Deron is out for the next three games and we'll re-evaluate it at the end of the week,'' Johnson said. "We'll see where we are on Friday at Orlando's game.''

The decision was made after Johnson met with Williams and GM Billy King on Saturday. Johnson was asked if there was thought to shutting Williams down for the entire season.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212387/Williams_To_Miss_Next_Three_Games#ixzz1HD9gOqbl

3 losses in a row, 7 games back, 4 teams to jump, best to shut him down. No need to risk further injury and having something that could linger into next season.

As for the whole worth it or not debate, entirely worth it. First off I don't think favors will ever be anything special not to mention as "the truth" likes to point out we have better options at the PF/C spot. Not to mention its not written in stone that Williams will leave the Nets. Prok can and will convince him to stay with his vision that he has for this organization. Hell that bastard has gotten me to buy into it after I semi-abandoned the nets when they abandoned New Jersey. Just like Cuban turned the Mavs into a big market club Prok will do the same for us. Players will want to play for a committed owner like him.