Larry Brown wants to coach in NCAA again

AboveLegit

The last time Larry Brown coached a college basketball game, his Kansas Jayhawks won the 1988 NCAA championship.

Now Brown, 70, is interested in a return to the college ranks.

“I was a college coach and did OK,” Brown told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday. “I was a pro coach and did reasonably well.

“Kids want to be in the NBA, and if you can coach and teach and get them ready for the NBA and you’re at a good school, I think you’d have an unbelievable head start on a lot of people. I’ve always tried to get players better, whether as a college coach or a pro coach. Two minutes on the floor on the first day of practice, players know whether you can coach or not.”

He was offered the Stanford job in 2008, but decided to remain in the NBA in part because he didn’t want to move his family (he has a wife, a 16-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter) to California at the time. Now they’d come along to wherever he winds up.

His name was linked to the open position at Arkansas by the Web site SportsbyBrooks.com, but Brown says he hasn’t spoken to anyone in Fayetteville or any other campus. He’s willing to, though.

“When I look in the mirror, I guess I’m older but inside I don’t feel any different,” he said.

He says he’d set out the proper plan for whatever job he might get. He plans on hiring a top-line staff that can aid in the off-court challenges that he hasn’t dealt with since KU – or his previous stint at UCLA. (In seven seasons in college hoops, he went 177-61 and reached three Final Fours, including one title.)

“I don’t want this to sound wrong, but I think I can teach as well as anyone,” Brown said. “I can win games. I can recruit because I know what it takes to get to the next level and I can be honest with these kids. I can’t tell you how many college players I spoke with during my NBA career that I urged to return because they aren’t ready.

“I want to go into a recruit’s home and say, ‘Look, I know you want to be in the NBA and I’ll get you ready. But nothing bad ever came from getting a degree. Let’s have something to fall back on.’ “

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-wetzel_brown_wants_to_go_back_to_school_032011

I don't think many NBA teams want him so going back down to college basketball makes sense but at 70 years old, I think it would time to retire. His defensive schemes would work marvelously in the NCAA though.