Jay Triano and Terry Fox

Did anybody see the segment on SportsCentre about Triano's relationship with Terry Fox?

I thought it was an awesome 5-10 minute story and had no idea that the two of them were so close. I knew that they were pretty good friends, but I had no idea that they were this close. Seeing Triano tear up at the end when they were talking about Terry Fox asking Triano for his autograph and saying that Triano was his hero was something else.

I've been hard on the guy when it comes to his coaching, but seeing things like this little story makes me remember why I thought so highly of him as an assistaint and wanted him to succeed as an NBA coach so badly when he was first hired.

I'll try and see if I can find the clip online anywhere and post it here, but I thought it was awesome.

Here is a Youtube link:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Yeah it was pretty sweet. He mentioned Terry at his award ceremony in St. Catharines but didn't realize they were that close either.

The picture of them standing together in Niagra Falls on those steps in the middle of Terry's run was probably my favourite part of the entire thing, after the stuff about Fox going to Simon Fraser after being diagnosed with lung cancer so that he could watch Triano play one last game.

I couldn't imagine what would be going through Triano's mind seeing somebody like Terry Fox coming up to you asking for your autograph and saying that you are his hero. Credit to Triano for keeping it together there because that definitely would've been a very hard thing to do if you ask me.

The picture of them standing together in Niagra Falls on those steps in the middle of Terry's run was probably my favourite part of the entire thing, after the stuff about Fox going to Simon Fraser after being diagnosed with lung cancer so that he could watch Triano play one last game.

I couldn't imagine what would be going through Triano's mind seeing somebody like Terry Fox coming up to you asking for your autograph and saying that you are his hero. Credit to Triano for keeping it together there because that definitely would've been a very hard thing to do if you ask me.

Oh it's crazy. Everyone in Canada knows who Terry Fox is and that guy looked up to you...unbelievable.