The most awkward moment in broadcasting

Guest N/A

wow bill russell is a G for keepin his cool....if i was black and that dude said that watermelon grin thing, i would've flipped him over and threw him on the court

You sure about that? That's exactly what they would've wanted a black man to do. It's more than just being able to keep your cool. It's really about being sympathetic and understanding that some people lack IQ.

You sure about that? That's exactly what they would've wanted a black man to do. It's more than just being able to keep your cool. It's really about being sympathetic and understanding that some people lack IQ.

I don't think that announcer lacked IQ, I think he wanted to see how Russell would respond - some people are just douches like that. they'll put you in a really awkward position in front of everyone just to see if you flip out or if you get mad at them or whatever.

whatever his intentions were for doing that, it was beyond stupid. you're going to show the world embarrassing pictures of someone, then when they say it isn't them, you call them a liar and say, 'you're wrong - that's you in that picture.' really stupid, but I think he knew what he was doing.

Edited by The Truth

• 2 weeks later...

From Rick Barrys wiki:

During Game 5 of the 1981 NBA Finals, while working as a CBS analyst, Barry made a controversial comment when CBS displayed an old photo of colleague Bill Russell, who is African-American, and Barry joked that "it looks like some fool over there with that big watermelon grin".[7][8] Barry later apologized for the comment, claiming that he did not realize that a reference to watermelons would have racial overtones. Russell said that he believed Barry with regard to Barry's racial attitudes, but nonetheless, the two men are reported not to have been particularly friendly for other reasons, unrelated to that comment.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Barry