Rumor: Raptors Open to Moving Bargnani?

Despite Toronto losing Chris Bosh and making little progress this season, team president Bryan Colangelo is returning to run the team, according the several league sources. That could be good news for D'Antoni, whose offense has been a bad fit for Anthony.

D'Antoni, who worked under Colangelo in Phoenix, might be out of a job if Walsh leaves the Knicks at season's end. For now, the Raptors plan to bring back coach Jay Triano, despite their awful season. But if D'Antoni becomes available, Triano could be jettisoned. Whether it's D'Antoni or Triano, the Raptors want to build around rookie big-man Ed Davis and second-year guard DeMar DeRozan. They're said to be open to moving Andrea Bargnani, who has been anything but an impact player since entering the league in 2007 as the No. 1 overall pick

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/03/26/2011-03-26_if_donnie_walsh_is_let_go_by_knicks_dont_be_shocked_to_see_him_back_in_indiana_i.html?page=1

I question the validity of this considering whoever wrote it thinks that Bargnani was the 1st overall pick in 2007, but if this is true, thank the lord.

Bargnani isn't a bad player when he is allowed to just focus on the one thing that he does best, but on a team like Toronto, he does way too much harm than good. He would be fine on a contender who needs some offense off of the bench (or even in Orlando as the starting power forward alongside Howard), but it is about time that the Raptors consider moving him because it is clear that this relationship is going nowhere.

The question is (assuming this isn't a bunch of BS), who would want Bargnani for $10M a year over the next 4 years?

So this report comes out after Davis has his two biggest games in forever after being in the doghouse? Kind of a cool coincidence. Don't get me wrong I would love it if we would trade him for an expiring, but a combination of BC overvaluing him and him making too much leads me to believe he will be a Raptor for life. I will chalk this up as speculation.

But it is the first Bargs trade rumour ever, so I guess that's something. But at this point you really have to think the asking price from BC is going to be way more than the probable market value. Just get rid of him, he is the only stigma remaining from the Bosh era failing.

I remember an article from somewhere around the deadline mentioned that the Rockets were considering Bargnani. Not sure if they are still interested or if they ever were.

Anyways I don't think it would be a bad idea to move him.

• 3 weeks later...

So during the game against the Bucks tonight, Matt and Jack started talking about trading Bargnani this offseason.

Although neither one came out and directly said that he needs to be traded, both of them did make comments about how they at least need to entertain offers for him this offseason. That is a lot coming from a guy like Matt Devlin considering how much of a yes man he is.

I actually think that Bargnani has a chance of being moved this summer, which I've never believed before. It seems like everybody related to the Raptors in some capacity have been throwing subtle hints for the entire 2nd half of the season about how Bargnani and the Raptors need to move on and sever ties.

I'm starting to seriously think that Bargnani won't be back next season, whenever that may be. Raptors had their end of the year press conferences today and Bargnani was getting shots taken at him left and right by some of his teammates (subtly, of course) and even Triano made some comments about him. Just some of the more memorable comments about Bargnani:

Jay Triano

"Andrea was in a different role this year. Being the primary scorer and go to guy, and we talked today, he understands he has to get better at the defensive end, as far as the help side, and being aware and being an intimidator back there. The good teams I mentioned, everyone has a dominant guy in the back there. ... The good teams have that anchor back there. He's gotta become that for us. Is that asking a home-run hitter to bunt? Maybe. But he has to add that to his game if he's going to become successful. ... If not, I think the young players are going to start eating into his playing time."

"The face of this franchise could change drastically and I think it's on par to make that move."

Amir Johnson

Amir: I think we can definitely use a centre like Dwight. Just another big low post banger.

His response to a question about him, Bargs and Davis playing together:

"i think we showed some good signs when me and Ed were on the floor together"

DeMar DeRozan

Demar: Maybe a defensive big down there.. to play D..

Barbosa also made a comment about how Bargnani scores a lot but doesn't do much else (paraphrasing here). It even sounds like the players and coaching staff are getting fed up with him, so I definitely am a lot more open to the idea that he may be moved prior to the start of the next season than ever before. There hasn't been a single offseason where I had even the slightest inclination that he may be moved, but that isn't the case this year.

PS: For what it is worth, Bargnani had the best quote of the all of the press conferences when he said:

"I do things that are much more complicated than rebounds and defense"

Basically telling everybody to [expletive] off with the questions about defense and rebounding as clearly I don't give a shit about it. That is kind of awesome, lol.