simplifying the gameday formula

ok, I've given this more thought and revised the proposal I made last night. I think I've come up with a more likable solution. forget the archive subforum - this is easier and more efficient.

we keep the gameday forum, but empty it of all its content. we make thirty topics (one for each team) in the gameday forum. rather than making a new topic for each game, we just post an update in that team's topic. so basically, it works like this:

1. there's thirty topics in the gameday forum (each team gets their own topic)

2. anytime that team plays, their topic is updated with a new post

3. members are free to post in any team's topic at any time

in doing this, we make our work shorter, simpler, and better. we don't have to make a new topic for each game. instead, we just make a post in the team's topic saying they play tonight. that way, each team's topic eventually amasses hundreds of posts worth of discussion for all different games.

wouldn't you rather have 30 different topics with hundreds of posts each as opposed to thousands of different topics with just a few posts each? it makes sense and I think we'll like it if we give it a try. when each season ends, we can make a fresh topic for each team and all their game discussion for the year will go into that new topic.

thoughts?

Edited by The Truth

I think you're proposed method would actually be more confusing than the one we have now. When I go into a gameday topic I don't want to see posts that are now irrelevant from past games. I just want what's happening now.

• Owner

I guess I didn't read the old suggestion. The new one seems nice, except for one thing: teams like the Utah Jazz will get absolutely no discussion. According to the ACP, we have a few Jazz fans...and only two of them really sat down to post, and neither are active.

Game topics are moved into the home team's forum. If there's a Lakers/Jazz game (in Utah), all discussion will still more than likely be in the Lakers forum, if we use your method.

However, having the gameday topics the way they are now means that a potential 3-4 page Lakers/Jazz topic (let's just say it's a playoff game that means something) would be moved to the Jazz forum if it's at Utah.

In the end, less means less. If we were a multi-sports site that really didn't bank on, or care about, our NBA talk...we'd create one topic in General NBA and just let it pile on.

I don't care about the look. Someone can go into the Jazz forum and see a Jazz/Pacers game getting one post, doesn't matter to me. I'd rather them go into the Gameday topic and have access to 1,230 games, as if it was a calendar, and have it all at their fingertips without deciding to ignore the least popular team forums every game.

• Like 1

However, having the gameday topics the way they are now means that a potential 3-4 page Lakers/Jazz topic (let's just say it's a playoff game that means something) would be moved to the Jazz forum if it's at Utah.

well, for the playoffs, we'd stick with the current formula of making topics for each series.

I just thought this might be good idea for a few reasons:

1. team forums never become cluttered with gameday topics

2. all gameday discussion stays in the gameday forum

3. makes it easier to look at discussion for all games

but I see where you're coming from as well. if the members like the way it is now, we should keep it that way.