Bobcats: Life After Wallace

This was what i wrote about the Gerald Wallace trade after i cooled down lol.... At first i was pissed at Jordan.

Bobcats: Life after Wallace

By: Cameron Buchan SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2011 - 1:56AM

February 24th 2011, will always stick in the minds of true Charlotte Bobcats fans. Charlotte traded away their franchise player to the Portland Trial Blazers. Gerald Wallace to Charlotte was like Dean Smith to UNC. Wallace was the first person that popped in your head when you heard someone say “Bobcats”. Charlotte drafted Wallace in their expansion draft in 2004 and even though Emeka Okafor was their first-ever actual draft pick, it didn't take fans long to realize G-Dub was their star.

Wallace always played hard. Earning him the nickname "Crash" for his reckless style of play. He's suffered many injuries including concussions, a separated shoulder, even a partially collapsed lung and a fractured rib after being flagrantly fouled while driving for a layup by Los Angeles Lakers' Andrew Bynum in 09. Wallace had to travel via bus coast to coast instead of flying back to Charlotte because of this.

Wallace was a class act and never complained. In 07, a 25 year-old Wallace resigned with the Bobcats, who had an average record of 26-56 through their first 3 NBA seasons. Wallace was pursued by Dallas, Orlando, Milwaukee, Detroit, Miami, Portland and Golden State, but Wallace wanted to stay in Charlotte and help the Bobcats become a winning team. Wallace accomplished this goal last season when he and Stephen Jackson led the Bobcats to a 44-38 record and the 7th seed in the Eastern Conference.

Wallace also got the recognition he deserved by the league and fans last year. He was voted as an Eastern Conference reserve in the All-Star game and made the All-Defensive First Team. Both of which were firsts for the Charlotte Bobcats young franchise.

Most Bobcats fans are not happy about this trade. However, it was necessary to move on to start a new era of Bobcats basketball. In the trade Charlotte received Joel Przybilla, Dante Cunningham, Sean Marks and two future 1st-round picks.

Now on paper this doesn't seem like much. Charlotte will most likely not resign Przybilla or Marks this offseason. Cunningham has potential, but the draft picks are key. Jordan feels like this is our chance to build a championship caliber team.

Statement from Michael Jordan

“As many of you know by now our team has undergone some significant changes.

As the trade deadline approached, we were presented with an opportunity we felt was in the long-term best interest of the team. The two first round draft-picks we received will be part of the foundation that the future of this team will be built upon. We also were able to secure players that we believe will continue to help us remain competitive as we strive to reach the playoffs this year. At the same time, the contracts we acquired will afford us the flexibility to be aggressive during the offseason.

Since becoming owner of the team, I have been consistent in stating that we are in this to build an organization that can play for an NBA championship. I will not waver from this goal and everything we do will be to get us in position to have sustained success in this league. As the competitive landscape continues to change, this trade will get us one step closer to having a team that can compete with the elite in the Eastern Conference.

I cannot express how much I appreciate your support and trust as we continue the process of building a team that all of our fans can be proud of.”

-Michael Jordan

As a Bobcats fan myself, I am somewhat worried. Jordan has only made a couple of good draft picks since he took over as Head of Basketball Operations in 06. Drafting players like Adam Morrision, Ryan Hollins, Alexis Ajinca, Kyle Weaver and Robert Vaden. Those players mentioned are definitely not in the “good draft picks” category. Also the fact that the 2 draft picks acquired were New Orleans 2011, 1st rd. pick and Portland’s 2012, 1st rd. pick. Both picks will most likely not be in the lottery.

The Bobcats also traded away veteran Nazr Mohammed to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Morris Peterson and D.J. White.

With these 2 trades, what Bobcats lose most is “good character guys”. Nazr and Gerald were leaders in the locker room. However, the way I look at it is if you are trapped under a rock and cutting off your own arm was the only option to survive... They did what they had to do.

The moves could drop the Bobcats under $50M in salaries this up coming year, which means they could sign at least one big name free agent. Some guys that might be available are Jamal Crawford, Glen Davis, Caron Butler, Arron Afflalo, Nene Hilario, J.R. Smith, Wilson Chandler, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, Yao Ming, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, James Jones, David West and Nick Young.

One thing is for sure Gerald Wallace will always be loved in Charlotte and 20 years from now I hope our kids call him “Mr. Bobcat.”

Let me know what you think

http://www.iamagm.com/analysis/cameron.buchan/bobcats.life.after.wallace

Edited by MaddSkillz
  • Like 2

it was a good move for the long-term success of the franchise. Jordan wanted to shed that contract and get younger. by getting draft picks for Wallace, they save money and improve for the future. I like the direction they're headed, but yeah, Michael's done poorly in regards to drafting. doesn't he have scouts? lol.

Edited by The Truth

You would think but apparently not with his draft history... Or maybe we just have the worst scouts money can buy lol...

I'm afraid.... Jimmer and Kyle Singler seem like guys Jordan would draft lol

I don't dislike him. I think he's misunderstood... Some of his techs he gets are cause of his rep. I saw him get thrown out of a game for looking at a ref for 3 seconds lol... I wouldnt mind trading him though cause he rarely plays good D and he Jax (get it? Lol) up too many shots... but no one will take his contract... Probably gonna have to keep him...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
As a Bobcats fan myself, I am somewhat worried. Jordan has only made a couple of good draft picks since he took over as Head of Basketball Operations in '06. Drafting players like Adam Morrision, Ryan Hollins, Alexis Ajinca, Kyle Weaver and Robert Vaden. Those players mentioned are definitely not in the “good draft picks” category. Also the fact that the 2 draft picks acquired were New Orleans 2011, 1st rd. pick and Portland’s 2012, 1st rd. pick. Both picks will most likely not be in the lottery.

This reminds me of Jordan's "Failure" commercial:

He can make a similar vid about his GM career:

'26 times I've been trusted to make a good draft choice...and failed.'

Makes you wonder - When will Jordan finally succeed (as a GM)??

Edited by Shaliq