Snub Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant again?

• Owner
It may not be today.

It may not be tomorrow.

It may not be next week or even next year.

But one day the media is going to have to answer for its sins.

One day we're going to have to explain how Phil Jackson, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game, has only one coach of the year award to his name, and his top current player, Kobe Bryant, the best player of his generation, has one regular-season MVP trophy.

Just one I tell you.

If there ever was a sports example of taking life for granted, this would be it. If there ever was a sports example of no good deed going unpunished, this egregious oversight would also fit.

LeBron James may be willing to cede the hardware to Derrick Rose -- and don't get me wrong, watching Rose bloom into a superstar has been wonderful -- but even that would be a mistake. James tops the league in player efficiency and Rose is not even in the top 10 (OK, he's 11th). But stats aside, Rose also benefits from not only James' narrative being soiled by his defection to Miami, but also that the Kobe narrative is the same old story.

Bryant is doing work -- again.

Yaaaaawn. What else you got?

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6280773

So true, no one wants to see the same MVP over and over again. People want to see change, see a new star rise. Derrick Rose is that star. He's new, he has led the Bulls to a great season. However, so has Kobe. For the past decade. Yes, LeBron [expletive]ed over Cleveland, but his play hasn't changed but rather improved.

What's exactly the argument here? If it's the fact that Phil Jackson only won one Coach of the Year award, then maybe that was rightfully so. Don't you think that ANY coach could've won in L.A. with those rosters of the past ten years. Likewise, I also believe that the Lakers would still be a playoff team minus Kobe...in each of the past ten years.

If we want to go with a technical definition of a Most Valuable Player, I think Dwight Howard should take it this year. Look at the teams of the top 5 MVP candidates; the only one in my opinion that would completely miss the post season minus it's star is the Orlando Magic. This means, yes, the Bulls would be a postseason team without Rose.

Coach of the Year isn't always about a coach doing good with a team. Sometimes it's about a coach being able to turn a team completely around from what it was the previous year. Sometimes it's the ability for the coach to overcome circumstances that most other teams would be unable to deal with. Sometimes it's dealing with adversity or making gutsy decisions that end up paying off in the end. Sometimes it's a combination of all of these

Voters for Coach of the Year don't want to see the same coach every year maintaining a good team. They want to see the bad teams turning into good teams - and the awards usually go to coaches that fulfill those criteria and exceed expectations for their team. It's one thing to be hyped up before the season and be good, but it's another to have no hype and have people predicting a Top 5 pick and then being a contender. Coaches who can make good teams out of average players should also be considered for COTY

• Owner

2009-10 - Scott Brooks, Oklahoma City (still with team)

2008-09 - Mike Brown, Cleveland (out after the 2009-10 season)

2007-08 - Byron Scott, New Orleans (out in 2009-10, nine games in)

2006-07 - Sam Mitchell, Toronto (out during the 2008-09 season, 17 games in)

2005-06 - Avery Johnson, Dallas (gone after the 2007-08 season)

2004-05 - Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix (gone after the 2007-08 season)

2003-04 - Hubie Brown, Memphis (left the following season, 12 games in)

2002-03 - Gregg Popovich, San Antonio (still with team)

Since Pop, it seems like a lot of COY's don't seem to last long with the team they won it with.

Don't you think that ANY coach could've won in L.A. with those rosters of the past ten years.

Nope. It that were true, they wouldn't have needed to fire Del Harris and Kurt Rambis for Jackson. Phil just has this aura where you just respect him because he has rings to back it up. You can't replace him with Lawrence Frank and get the same results.

Likewise, I also believe that the Lakers would still be a playoff team minus Kobe...in each of the past ten years.

This is true of the current team but they'd be a 1st round exit team instead of the favorites to win it all.

I also don't think it would be a given that the Shaq Lakers would make the playoffs minus Kobe. This is mostly out of Shaq's laziness. In 2003 the Lakers were out of the playoffs and it basically took Kobe's superhuman scoring barrage that get them to the 5th seed.

As to the original post. Yeah, MVP voting is getting meaningless. Kobe and Shaq, arguably the two best players of the 2000s will have a combined 2 MVPs. I thought Kobe should have 3, Shaq 3, at least 2.

Here's the classic example I give to show stupid the MVP voters are. In 2005 when the Lakers missed the playoffs with a 34 win season, Kobe got zero MVP votes. And deservedly so, no way should he have gotten a vote. Yet somehow PJ Brown got an MVP vote...when he averaged 10/9 on an 18 win team.

That same year someone left Shaq completely off the ballot when it was pretty much a race between Nash and Shaq.

Kobe having only one MVP seems kind of crazy when you think of how good he has been for so long, but it's justified. He was with Shaq during his early prime, was on crappy teams during his prime, and has started to decline while being on great teams again. He only had a 2-3 year window to realistically win the award...one of those seasons he ended up winning it, and the other two he was beat by LeBron, who was putting up more impressive stats and led his team to more wins with less supporting talent. This season, with the Lakers' strong late surge, Kobe has another really good shot at winning it, but the Bulls still have a better record than the Lakers (with Rose having less supporting talent than Kobe), and Rose has been comparable individually to Kobe. Mix in the fact that Rose is the new flavor-of-the-season, and Kobe probably won't get his second MVP.

Phil winning COTY only once is astonishing. I mean, I understand to a degree just because he's had all-time talent on every single one of his teams, but the man has been coaching for over 20 years and has 11 rings to his name.