Kemba Walker Hints At Return To UConn

ChosenOne

HOUSTON - Kemba Walker might be the wrong guy to stare down in a card game. The junior All-American from the Bronx has been impossible to read as to whether he will go pro or remain in college.

It would be hard to top the season he's just had - arguably the best in a pantheon of great ones by UConn players. In addition to the All-American accolades and the Bob Cousy Award as the top collegiate point guard that he collected Monday, he is the first Huskie to score 900 points in a season. And this month he was the biggest star on college hoops' biggest stage, the NCAA Tournament.

His status as a potential lottery pick and his decision to complete nearly all his course work for graduation and then participate in this year's Senior Night festivities seem to indicate the right time to make the jump. But when asked, the 6-1 former Rice High star sounds like he may return.

The most candid answer he gave came Sunday when he said, "If I'm in the right situation, I'll have to take my chances."

UConn coach Jim Calhoun said that Walker told him long ago that he plans to return and jokes that "I'm holding him to it." But the possibility is real.

"Everyone's got the assumption that I'm leaving," Walker said. "Everybody says, 'Oh, he had his Senior Night already and he's graduating early,' but that's not even the case. I just want to get (class work) over with because if I was able to come back, I would have maybe one class. . . . I don't see why people make those assumptions."

Walker was asked Sunday whether there would be anything left to accomplish if the Huskies captured the title.

"Yes, if we win a national championship, I'm thinking back-to-back," he said. "We'll have a great team. We'll have the same team, actually. If I could get back to this point again, it would be fun. These guys are like my brothers.

Daily news

• Owner

Aaron Pullen a first-rounder? :lol:

Seriously, there's no way all of them are going to stay. If so, this draft class will be terrible.

EDIT: For those who won't get the joke...it's Jacob Pullen, but I won't explain why I put Aaron. ;)

Good decision, especially with the lockout looming, we deserve to see another great season of NCAA ball with a terrific recruiting class and some of the top prospects staying.

Let's just hope Derrick Williams stays in the draft though... :glasses:

• Like 1

You got LBJ. Quit your bitching. None of these players want to play for Dan Gilbert... smart move.

Jeesh what the [expletive], man. Calm down.

And try being a [expletive]ing Cleveland fan. At least you aren't given false hope and let down constantly. I have just as much right to be upset. I don't need to hear a story about Toronto's plights in sports.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

He would be smart to stay imo. Theres probably going to be a lockout, dont commit to the NBA and stay for a sure thing in college. Hel be more prepared once he gets to the NBA as well. Plus he can enjoy himself for one more year in college and go for a back to back with his "brothers." I know he can make bank in the NBA, but like I said theres probably going to be a lockout so why bother. Plus cant he make money in endorsements since hes such a popular college athlete? Not sure how NCAA works.

This is smart if there is a lockout. His stock is only going to go down next year because I kindly doubt he repeats this year in a consistent basis. Up till the NCAA Tournament, Walker was really starting to become a volume scorer. I still think he'll be a dominant scorer if he stays another year, but it'll also gives scouts another chance to see his flaws. His stock right now is as high as it will ever get.

• Owner

The point is, Kemba is as good as he may get now (as said), but also, with rumors that fewer are going to enter the draft, he has a chance to get selected even earlier.

Regardless of a lockout or not, earlier selection means more money, and a bigger opportunity to be a franchise player.

If he goes to, say, the Pacers...he's going to be sharing the ball with Granger, Collison, a surging Hansbrough, and Hibbert (of course, I don't see him falling that far, but it's just an example of where he COULD go if he waits). If he goes to someone like Cleveland, he's the man, and he'll have the bigger rookie contract.

If I were in his shoes, I would go. His stock is just about as high as its going to get, the draft class is weak and there are alot of bad team he could really help out. Why stay when there is little to nothing to gain?

Cant go to the league if there is no league. <_<

The point is, Kemba is as good as he may get now (as said), but also, with rumors that fewer are going to enter the draft, he has a chance to get selected even earlier.

Regardless of a lockout or not, earlier selection means more money, and a bigger opportunity to be a franchise player.

If he goes to, say, the Pacers...he's going to be sharing the ball with Granger, Collison, a surging Hansbrough, and Hibbert (of course, I don't see him falling that far, but it's just an example of where he COULD go if he waits). If he goes to someone like Cleveland, he's the man, and he'll have the bigger rookie contract.

This plus he'll probably get some nice advertising money if he comes out to boot.