Houston Rockets 2011 offseason thread

The deadline moves make me feel like we might be rebuilding so trading Scola wouldn't be a bad idea, get some nice pieces in return and allow Patterson to start, who I think will eventually grow into a borderline All-Star.

First priority to me should be looking to sign Marc Gasol, I wouldn't be opposed to saving the cap and hoping for the best in the 2012 free agency but I also wouldn't want to get shutout like the Nets did so I'm big on trying to sign Gasol. Maybe a $10+ million deal but I somehow doubt Memphis lets him go.

I think Morey should also look using our cap space in a trade. Maybe package our young talent and picks for someone like Danny Granger, who would be ideal for the team we have. Adrian Woj did say that the Rockets have too many assets not to get a superstar so I do expect Morey to be in the race for Chris Paul, probably more likely than when we went after Carmelo.

I was thinking that we were going into rebuild mode as well coming out of the trade deadline, but the way we played to end the season I dont thing Morey is thinking that anymore.

I do love the idea of trading our cap, pick, and a player for a player like Granger. But i would have to agree with you that our first priorty should be to get Marc somehow even if it take a bit of overpaying.

I just dont want to see Martin or Lowery traded.

This is my wishlist for what I want the Rockets to do this season.

1. Trade Scola, Miller, T-Will, and a pick from this years draft to Philly for Iggy and Speights (Wishful thinking I know I don't Philly lets go of Iggy anytime soon but this is still a wishlist).

2. With the one pick we didn't trade which would be the Pheonix Suns pick we should draft another SF. If he's still around Tyler Honeycutt would be a nice choice he can play both the 2 and 3, has good athleticism, and has potential to be a good defender. Needs to bulk up some though.

2. Sign one of the following Nene, Gasol, or Dalembert.

3. Sign Yao to less money (if he accepts, he accepts, if he doesn't life goes on) and maybe sign Hayes back

We would have a nice team coming into the season

Starting 5

Kyle Lowry

Kevin Martin

Andre Iguodala

Patrick Patterson

Yao Ming

Bench

Courtney Lee

Nene, Gasol, or Dalembert

Goran Dragic

Jordan Hill

Chase Budinger

Chuck Hayes

Marreese Speights

Hasheem Thabett

Tyler Honeycutt

Edited by htownborn

I was thinking that we were going into rebuild mode as well coming out of the trade deadline, but the way we played to end the season I dont thing Morey is thinking that anymore.

I do love the idea of trading our cap, pick, and a player for a player like Granger. But i would have to agree with you that our first priorty should be to get Marc somehow even if it take a bit of overpaying.

I just dont want to see Martin or Lowery traded.

With Thabeet's contract, we won't have enough to overpay Marc unless we can work out a sign and trade scenario. Same goes for Nene, who I think will end up resigning with Denver.

1. Trade Scola, Miller, T-Will, and a pick from this years draft to Philly for Iggy and Speights (Wishful thinking I know I don't Philly lets go of Iggy anytime soon but this is still a wishlist).

2. With the one pick we didn't trade which would be the Pheonix Suns pick we should draft another SF. If he's still around Tyler Honeycutt would be a nice choice he can play both the 2 and 3, has good athleticism, and has potential to be a good defender. Needs to bulk up some though.

3. Sign Yao to less money (if he accepts, he accepts, if he doesn't life goes on) and maybe sign Hayes back

1. Would love to see that but Philly seems intent on keeping Iggy, I would do that kind of deal (minus Scola and add more youth) for Granger like I posted above.

2A. Eh I don't know enough about this guy so I can't comment.

2B. Dalembert sucks, he's a good shotblocker but his post up defense isn't all that and even the Kings don't seem to want him around any longer. Then again beggars can't be choosers. See above for Nene/Gasol

3. Please do.

I don't care what we do tbh, I just wanna get a center who can play some sort of post defense, and a decent draft pick.

We're a 50 win team if we just add a 20 mpg center.

Like a healthy Yao Ming? I'm sure we could have cracked 50 wins with him and the same goes for any one of Gasol or Nene.

However, something more realistic would be if we were to trade the 14th pick plus the Magic's along with a prospect (Terrence Williams? Jordan Hill?) to get into the top 8 or so picks, and then drafted Enes Kanter or Jonas Valanciunas.

How long can you be content being a fringe playoff team? Sorry, but unless Yao miraculously regains his form from 4 years ago the Rockets are doomed to mediocrity. Tear it down in my opinion. They have some pieces that can land them some picks and shit.

I've been thinking the same for the last 2 years so I won't argue with you there. Morey has put us in a position where we could successfully rebuild in a quick 2 year span, but we could easily contend as a playoff team too. Jazz were reportedly intrigued by Morey's package at the trade deadline but eventually sent Deron Williams to the Nets. Woj has said it before that the packages we could offer are too good not to get us an All-Star, maybe we could come out with one in the summer.

I would prefer it if we were to rebuild though.

1. Would love to see that but Philly seems intent on keeping Iggy, I would do that kind of deal (minus Scola and add more youth) for Granger like I posted above.

I highly doubt that we would be able to get any kind of deal done for Iggy or Granger at least without trading Scola, or at least Martin or Lowry.

2A. Eh I don't know enough about this guy so I can't comment.

2B. Dalembert sucks, he's a good shotblocker but his post up defense isn't all that and even the Kings don't seem to want him around any longer. Then again beggars can't be choosers. See above for Nene/Gasol

I highly doubt that we would be able to get any kind of deal done for Iggy or Granger at least without trading Scola, or at least Martin or Lowry.

He goes to UCLA, he's being compared to Chilldress and Prince

lol, true but the Rockets really don't have much of a choice but to get Dalembert if they can't get Nene or Gasol and all we really need is a shot blocker anyway. And theres really not enough big man in this years draft in position for the Rockets to get. Unless they trade up like you said. But its still a weak draft we don't even know if Valanciunas well enter the draft this year and if he does he could end up being Darko 2.0. Kanter looks good though but I don't know if we could get in position to get him and his more of a PF than C.

He goes to UCLA, he's being compared to Chilldress and Prince

lol, true but the Rockets really don't have much of a choice but to get Dalembert if they can't get Nene or Gasol and all we really need is a shot blocker anyway. And theres really not enough big man in this years draft in position for the Rockets to get. Unless they trade up like you said. But its still a weak draft we don't even know if Valanciunas well enter the draft this year and if he does he could end up being Darko 2.0. Kanter looks good though but I don't know if we could get in position to get him and his more of a PF than C.

Valanciunas looks like a quality big man prospect, I don't think he will be a bust and there has been a rumor going around that he might slip down a few spots because he will likely not be playing in the NBA for the 2011-12 season.

How long can you be content being a fringe playoff team? Sorry, but unless Yao miraculously regains his form from 4 years ago the Rockets are doomed to mediocrity. Tear it down in my opinion. They have some pieces that can land them some picks and shit.

Exactly, at this point I don't even care about Yao because we should just move on without relying on him. Keep Yao as a backup center but we just need a player who can play for at least 20 mpg that is a 7 foot presence.

Yao is a done deal the Rockets need to move on. I don't mind seeing them sign him to a small contract but nothing significant will happen other than Les' steady income from China, I just can't see Yao staying healthy.

But as far as tearing the whole thing down, I don't agree with that. The Rockets have pieces they need to keep, now if you can acquire a superstar that maybe at some point becomes "disgruntled" with his situation then ya NO ONE should be untouchable on that Rockets roster.

The Rockets have picks to work with right now, but I would love to keep guys like Patterson and Lowry they are worth investing the time into. Kevin Martin is a good piece next to a star but in no way is he a go to guy. Rockets have to find a big man that's gotta be the biggest priority.

Valanciunas looks like a quality big man prospect, I don't think he will be a bust and there has been a rumor going around that he might slip down a few spots because he will likely not be playing in the NBA for the 2011-12 season.

I've seen highlights of him, i think he has potential but he's still young. And alot of European players that come in the NBA young like him usually don't pan out right away. Again like Darko even though his considered a bust he still has time to develope because he's still young but how long will that take? I mean it even took Yao a couple of years before he was actually NBA ready.

Yao is a done deal the Rockets need to move on. I don't mind seeing them sign him to a small contract but nothing significant will happen other than Les' steady income from China, I just can't see Yao staying healthy.

But as far as tearing the whole thing down, I don't agree with that. The Rockets have pieces they need to keep, now if you can acquire a superstar that maybe at some point becomes "disgruntled" with his situation then ya NO ONE should be untouchable on that Rockets roster.

The Rockets have picks to work with right now, but I would love to keep guys like Patterson and Lowry they are worth investing the time into. Kevin Martin is a good piece next to a star but in no way is he a go to guy. Rockets have to find a big man that's gotta be the biggest priority.

Agreed. This sums it up nicely.

I've seen highlights of him, i think he has potential but he's still young. And alot of European players that come in the NBA young like him usually don't pan out right away. Again like Darko even though his considered a bust he still has time to develope because he's still young but how long will that take? I mean it even took Yao a couple of years before he was actually NBA ready.

You're right he's not going to be an impact player right away, which is why Houston will stash him away in Europe for another season and then bring him in. I don't see the Darko comparison you're trying to make, Darko was a raw prospect from the get go and while Jov is too, he actually seems talented and has skill in the low post.

Not trying to be an expert on him though because I haven't seem all that much and Yugo probably knows alot more than I do about him.

My very, very early Rockets draft board.

1. Kyrie Irving

2. Harrison Barnes

3. Derrick Williams

4. Jonas Valanciunas

5. Enes Kanter

6. Kemba Walker

7. Perry Jones

8. Jared Sullinger

9. Brandon Knight

10. Jan Vesely

11. Kawhi Leonard

12. Donatas Motiejunas

13. Jordan Hamilton

14. Bismack Biyombo

Well nothing to do until May 17, which is the draft lottery and the Rockets have a 1.8% chance of moving up into the top 3. Hooray! This season was totally not a waste!

Offer whatever it takes to get Nene or DeAndre Jordan. Offer small deal to Yao. Try to trade Scola this year cause he has already peaked and his contract is HUGE. Include Martin in the deal if it means getting a great player. I think getting Iggy would be good complimentary player. He is a good defender and decent scorer.

Edited by DaFranchise03

I don't see the Darko comparison you're trying to make, Darko was a raw prospect from the get go and while Jov is too, he actually seems talented and has skill in the low post.

I'm not comparing Jonas to Darko in anyway all i was saying is we don't want to pick him and he ends up being like Darko. I think Valanciunas is more like a more aggresive Andris Biedrins. He can grab boards and play solid D and I think he has the potential to become a pretty solid post player.

Offer whatever it takes to get Nene or DeAndre Jordan. Offer small deal to Yao. Try to trade Scola this year cause he has already peaked and his contract his HUGE. Include Martin in the deal if it means getting a great player. I think getting Iggy would be good complimentary player. He is a good defender and decent scorer.

I don't think we should move either Scola or Martin unless we're going into a rebuilding stage. Both guys would make a great compliment next to a superstar and I think its about time Morey lands one with all the assets he has.

I'm not comparing Jonas to Darko in anyway all i was saying is we don't want to pick him and he ends up being like Darko. I think Valanciunas is more like a more aggresive Andris Biedrins. He can grab boards and play solid D and I think he has the potential to become a pretty solid post player.

An aggressive Biedrins would be a solid addition although Jonas seems to have far more potential defensively.

I don't think we should move either Scola or Martin unless we're going into a rebuilding stage. Both guys would make a great compliment next to a superstar and I think its about time Morey lands one with all the assets he has.

An aggressive Biedrins would be a solid addition although Jonas seems to have far more potential defensively.

I agree if they can trade for a superstar w/o those two it would be great but our best chance to get one is to include Martin. I doubt a team trading their star would want Scola considering most teams trading a star are rebuilding. I like Scola but I think Patterson could become a legit starter. If they can get someone good while Scola still has value then do it. Like i said I think he has already peaked and trading his huge deal is only gonna get harder.

Well who the [expletive] do we go for now? Rick did as well as anyone would have and probably better if you ask me leading an all-star less team us to an above .500 record (43-39) only team in the NBA. I was in many cases was the first person to question his antics and methods, but at the end of the day he manged to get the job done. The first half of the season we played terrible, which i believe had a lot to do with the open trade talks involving just about everyone on our team. The second half we were one of the best teams in the league not only competing every single but beating playoff teams as well. I thought the way we ended the season Rick was our guy moving forward, but with Rick gone which way are we heading? Are we going to rebuild or are we going to upgrade somewhere and attempt to move up? I really hope we are going to attempt to move up as we have way to much talent to try to rebuild.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think we should do this offseason?

Imo if we cant sign a big via free agency then Scola has to go in a trade for a big. Also would not hurt to upgrade at sf some how.

My Rockets off season

Rockets Top 3 Needs

C:Chuck Hays does what he can, but he is not a starter he would serve Rockets better off bench

SF:Rockets need to address this need in the off season Budinger is ok, they need an offensive threat or lock down defender their to complement the Kevin Martin

Shooting PG/SG: Rockets need to get a combo guard to come off bench, hit the three and spread out defense

Resign Players:

Don't resign Yao or at least don't over pay to keep him

Sign Dragic back only if you can't find a scoring point guard

Sign Chuck back he is a gritty team player

Maybes

Brad Miller never can have to many bigs

Courtney Lee is still young and could be good player

Free Agents: Land one or more of these players

FA Big Board

Caron Butler

David West

Deandre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Nene

Wilson Chandler

Arron Affalo

Spencer Hawes

Glen Davis

JJ Berea

Josh Howard

Kelenna Azubuike

Josh McRoberts

If you land a good big man you then make Scola expendable (trade)

I think we push for De Jordan Rockets never pull trigger on free agents

and we get another avg big Big Baby Davis or prospect McRoberts

Draft: Pending on prior selections Rockets need to have a good draft in what is said to be weak draft class, but Rocks GM is decent at picking late 1st early 2nd picks

Draft Big Board minus the players I think we be gone FASHO

1st Round

Terrance Jones

Jan Vesely

Jimmer Fredette

Kawhi Leonard

Donatas Motiejunas

Tristan Thompson

Tyler Honeycutt

Jordan Hamilton

Bismack Biyombo

Kenneth Faried

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

2nd Round

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

Travis Leslie

LaceDarius Dunn

Norris Cole

E'twaun Moore

Chandler Parsons

Kalin Lucus

First Round

Do the Rockets take Best Available or Draft for needs?

1st pick Donatas Motiejunas Can play C/PF/SF sweet stroke from outside but can also bang needs to work on D though Alt:Jimmer Fredette Tristan Thompson

2nd pick Tyler Honeycutt SG/SF tall, rangy athletic, and he is skilled Alt: Darius Morris Kenneth Faried

Second Round

1st pick If available Darius Morris Alt: LaceDarius Dunn a all around scorer or another roll player

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Kyle Lowry

Kevin Martin

Terrence Williams

Louis Scola

Donatas Motiejunas

BENCH

Patrick Patterson

Chase Budinger

Chuck Hayes

Tyler Honeycutt

Darius Morris

Courtney Lee

Jordan Hill

Hasheem Thabeet

With this off season you solved all your roster problems realistically

Now your Trade Scola and throw in Lowry Martin Hill or Lee

Possibilities:

Trading for Wilson Chandler SF/SG w/ Chis Andersen or Arron Affalo

Trading for Andre Iggidola

Trading for Tyson Chandler

Trading for David West

I would trade Scola Lowry and Lee for ChandlerChris Andersen and Arron Affalo

Team Needs SF check C Check and Shooter Check in this trade

Then Trad Hill and another roll player for a PG say TJ Ford Rodrigue Beaubois Daequan Cook Nate Robinson

Hill strait up for Robinson remember his Knick days or Cook the two most likely options

Sign Vet PG Acie Law or Earl Watson

Final Roster

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Nate Robinson

Kevin Martin

Wilson Chandler

Patrick Patterson

Deandre Jordan

BENCH

Arron Affalo

Donatas Motiejunas

Chuck Hayes

Chris Andersen

Terrence Williams

Tyler Honeycutt

Chase Budinger

Darius Morris

Acie Law

Josh McRoberts

Hasheem Thabeet

My Rockets off season w/ no trades

Rockets Top 3 Needs

C:Chuck Hays does what he can, but he is not a starter he would serve Rockets better off bench

SF:Rockets need to address this need in the off season Budinger is ok, they need an offensive threat or lock down defender their to complement the Kevin Martin

Shooting PG/SG: Rockets need to get a combo guard to come off bench, hit the three and spread out defense

Resign Players:

Maybes

FA Big Board

Caron Butler

David West

Deandre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Nene

Wilson Chandler

Arron Affalo

Spencer Hawes

Glen Davis

JJ Berea

Josh Howard

Kelenna Azubuike

Josh McRoberts

Draft: Pending on prior selections Rockets need to have a good draft in what is said to be weak draft class, but Rocks GM is decent at picking late 1st early 2nd picks

1st Round

Terrance Jones

Jan Vesely

Jimmer Fredette

Kawhi Leonard

Donatas Motiejunas

Tristan Thompson

Tyler Honeycutt

Jordan Hamilton

Bismack Biyombo

Kenneth Faried

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

2nd Round

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

Travis Leslie

LaceDarius Dunn

Norris Cole

E'twaun Moore

Chandler Parsons

Kalin Lucus

First Round

1st pick Donatas Motiejunas Can play C/PF/SF sweet stroke from outside but can also bang needs to work on D though Alt:Jimmer Fredette Tristan Thompson

2nd pick Tyler Honeycutt SG/SF tall, rangy athletic, and he is skilled Alt: Darius Morris Kenneth Faried

Second Round

1st pick If available Darius Morris Alt: LaceDarius Dunn a all around scorer or another roll player

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Kyle Lowry

Kevin Martin

Terrence Williams

Louis Scola

Donatas Motiejunas

BENCH

Patrick Patterson

Chase Budinger

Chuck Hayes

Tyler Honeycutt

Darius Morris

Courtney Lee

Jordan Hill

Hasheem Thabeet

Possibilities:

Trading for David West

Then Trad Hill and another roll player for a PG say TJ Ford Rodrigue Beaubois Daequan Cook Nate Robinson

Hill strait up for Robinson remember his Knick days or Cook the two most likely options

Final Roster

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Nate Robinson

Kevin Martin

Wilson Chandler

Patrick Patterson

Deandre Jordan

BENCH

Arron Affalo

Donatas Motiejunas

Chuck Hayes

Chris Andersen

Terrence Williams

Tyler Honeycutt

Chase Budinger

Darius Morris

Acie Law

Josh McRoberts

Hasheem Thabeet

My Rockets off season w/ no trades

Rockets Top 3 Needs

Resign Players:

Maybes

FA Big Board

Caron Butler

David West

Deandre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Nene

Wilson Chandler

Arron Affalo

Spencer Hawes

Glen Davis

JJ Berea

Josh Howard

Kelenna Azubuike

Josh McRoberts

1st Round

Terrance Jones

Jan Vesely

Jimmer Fredette

Kawhi Leonard

Donatas Motiejunas

Tristan Thompson

Tyler Honeycutt

Jordan Hamilton

Bismack Biyombo

Kenneth Faried

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

2nd Round

Darius Morris

JaJuan Johnson

Travis Leslie

LaceDarius Dunn

Norris Cole

E'twaun Moore

Chandler Parsons

Kalin Lucus

First Round

Second Round

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Kyle Lowry

Kevin Martin

Terrence Williams

Louis Scola

Donatas Motiejunas

BENCH

Patrick Patterson

Chase Budinger

Chuck Hayes

Tyler Honeycutt

Darius Morris

Courtney Lee

Jordan Hill

Hasheem Thabeet

Possibilities:

Trading for David West

Final Roster

2012 Roster

STARTERS

Nate Robinson

Kevin Martin

Wilson Chandler

Patrick Patterson

Deandre Jordan

BENCH

Arron Affalo

Donatas Motiejunas

Chuck Hayes

Chris Andersen

Terrence Williams

Tyler Honeycutt

Chase Budinger

Darius Morris

Acie Law

Josh McRoberts

Hasheem Thabeet

We would have a nice team coming into the season

Starting 5

Kyle Lowry

Kevin Martin

Andre Iguodala

Patrick Patterson

Yao Ming

Bench

Courtney Lee

Nene, Gasol, or Dalembert

Goran Dragic

Jordan Hill