New Passer Idea For 49ers

Jim Harbaugh got his job with the San Francisco 49ers because of the success he had at Stanford, but he got the job at Stanford because of the success he had at the University of San Diego. His quarterback during those years: Josh Johnson, now a backup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Will Harbaugh try to recreate that success in San Francisco?

Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News breaks down the possibilities of a Johnson-Harbaugh reunion. He points out that at USD, a non-scholarship I-AA school, Johnson threw for 3,256 yards and 36 touchdowns in 2005, prompting a string of scholarship offers from FBS schools. Though Harbaugh encouraged Johnson to take one of those deals, Johnson remained fiercely loyal to his coach, returning in 2006. In two seasons under Harbaugh and Johnson, USD went 22-2.

Harbaugh was asked at the time to compare Johnson to Troy Smith, who was on the way to winning the Heisman Trophy for Ohio State. "I've seen Troy Smith play," Harbaugh said. "Our guy's better."

That same Troy Smith started six games for San Francisco last year and completed barely half his passes. Harbaugh and company apparently believe they can still find a better guy -- he was not offered a contract tender before the lockout started and can sign with any team after it ends. Will the 49ers seek Johnson to replace him?

Johnson remains under contract with Tampa Bay, so he couldn't discuss a potential move to the west coast. He did, however, talk to Steward about his admiration for Harbaugh. "Even if we don't get together, there's always going to be a mutual relationship between us," Johnson said. "There's a lot of respect there, because I know what he did for me as a player. I know how much I grew to love him and his family. I felt like it was more than just a coach-player type of thing."

Source-NFL Trade Rumors(Insider)