D’Antoni: Fields Thinking Too Much

Landry Fields averaged 10.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per game while shooting 51.9 percent from the field and 39.9 percent on 3-pointers before the All-Star break. In the second half, he has slipped to 9.1 points and 4.8 rebounds, while shooting 45.3 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from three.

Coach Mike D’Antoni thinks Fields’ shooting struggles are mental.

“Anytime you change some of the things up, I think he took a step back and watched a little bit and then he got out of his rhythm. And now in the last couple weeks, I think he’s thinking too much,” D’Antoni said yesterday on the Boomer and Carton radio show. “I don’t think it’s playing with Carmelo or the other guys. I don’t think it’s anything we’re doing different. I think it’s he’s hit a little bit of a rookie wall. He started thinking too much. He’s hesitating.

“I think he’s just got to get back to his game and play and understand that it’s a little bit of an excuse to say, ‘Well I’m playing bad because the system’s changed.’ No, it hasn’t changed. He’s getting as much touches. He’s doing the exact same thing. He’s got to rebound, he’s got to defend, he’s got to run the floor, he’s got to pick spots.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_rookie_fields_looking_for_qApaZpEX1bDyO1GYqfCMrM?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

That's kind of harsh words from D'Antoni. Maybe trying to motivate Fields a bit more before the playoffs? (Don't think he needs motivation though...)

I think D'Antoni is somewhat right, but the system did change. The ball moves less. When Fields does his back door cuts, Melo and Stat and Billups don't find him nearly as effectively as Chandler, Gallo, and Felton. It's that simple.