D-Will Optimistic About Team, Open to an Extension This Summer

Teletopez

After another playoff-less season, the Nets picked up their stuff from the training and prepared to depart to their respective summer destinations.

As you might expect, the big topic of baggie day was Deron Williams’ contract, which expires after next season. The Nets will offer him an extension either July 18 or after the CBA is negotiated.

More than ever before, Williams yesterday sounded optimistic about sticking with the Nets for the long haul.

“I like this organization a lot,” he said. “I like the direction they’re going. They made me and my family feel real comfortable since I’ve gotten here. I like coach Johnson – the way he coaches and the way he carries himself. I definitely can see myself staying here. It’s something that’s going to be brought up a lot this summer after the collective bargaining agreement handles itself and then we’ll look at it.”

What has swayed Williams after he appeared in just 12 games with the franchise, thanks to a nagging wrist injury?

“I just like the feedback I get from staff, from (GM) Billy (King),” he said. “We’ve had a lot of open communication in a short period of time that I really like. And just the organization in general how they handle themselves from top to bottom. I think everybody has just been great here and I like how things are run.”

Williams would like to sign an extension before the season starts in order to avoid distractions, but wasn’t ready to commit either way.

“My first (expired contract) everybody pretty much knew I was going to re-sign with Utah,” he said. “This one’s different. I would like to not deal with distractions like that. I think that would be great for me, for the team. We’ll see what happens.”

Stefan Bondy

Completely escaped my mind to post this.

Deron's family has reportedly been house-hunting in Jersey. D-Will and Billy King also text regularly about names to go after this offseason. Good signs.