GM2: Memphis at San Antonio (MEM 1-0)

I originally said the Spurs would win this series in 5 and I'm going to stick by it. (assuming Manu is playing).

I just don't see the Grizzlies being able to keep up thier Uncharacteristic 55% FG shooting and 60% 3 point shooting.

What I'm really hoping is that the two threes Bonner made late in game one gave him confidence and will get him over his sucking in the playoffs. Since Pop insists on playing Bonner over Splitter he might as well knock some threes and be effective on 1 side of the court.

I originally said the Spurs would win this series in 5 and I'm going to stick by it. (assuming Manu is playing).

I just don't see the Grizzlies being able to keep up thier Uncharacteristic 55% FG shooting and 60% 3 point shooting.

What I'm really hoping is that the two threes Bonner made late in game one gave him confidence and will get him over his sucking in the playoffs. Since Pop insists on playing Bonner over Splitter he might as well knock some threes and be effective on 1 side of the court.

Yeah what is up with that? I don't keep up with the Spurs much but I was sitting through game 1 thinking where the hell was Splitter. I remember a ton of hype behind him the past year and thought he was going to play a big role heading into the playoffs, but instead Pop opted to sit him the entire game and played Bonner 24 minutes.

Is it the inexperience? Has he been ineffective when given time (statistically he seems to be doing fine)? etc

Splitter isn't going to get a lot of time if Manu isn't healthy. The Spurs need more offense to beat teams, because they aren't the greatest defensive team these days.

It doesn't mean that they should completely disregard defense though. Matt Bonner is a terrific three point shooter and spaces the floor a ton but when his shot isn't falling, what use is he? He's a player that should only be receiving spot minutes when the Spurs are in need a three or the spacing.

Splitter would do well in 15 or so minutes as the backup center.

Splitter isn't going to get a lot of time if Manu isn't healthy. The Spurs need more offense to beat teams, because they aren't the greatest defensive team these days.

Apart of that is because Matt Bonner sees more floor time than our 2nd best defensive big. I have watched 83 games so far this year and I can't remember more than 2 times where both Tiago and Tim were on the court together.

Tiago was doomed from the start of the season though. 1- because he is a rookie, and 2- because he missed the Summer league and pre-season. It's annoying as well because if you have followed the Spurs at all in the post season for the last 3 years you'll know Matt Bonner is a choke artist. The best 3 point shooter in the league % wise goes iCE cold when it matters. Without his 3 point shooting Bonner is useless. Tiago has shown in the time he has got that he is already 100 times better than Bonner on D, hustles more, and is a better rebounder than T-Rex arms.

Pop does this with rookies all the time though. Two years ago when we lost to Dallas in round one Pop insisted on playing Old ass Michael Finley over the more energetic/better defender George Hill. Jason Terry went ape shit on Finley and we obviously lost. Last year pop gave the same rookie treatment to Blair. (He must really love Neal).

Anyway regardless of whether Manu plays or not Tiago Splitter will see very little PT in this years playoffs. At least he will be productive in his 2nd year.

Edited by Finch23

Manu Ginobili expected to return for Game 2

Beat writer Jeff McDonald thinks there is a 99.9 percent chance that Manu Ginobili (elbow) will play in Game 2 Wednesday.

Ginobili had to be held out of Game 1 and was spotted playing 1-on-1 Monday. Although the Spurs aren't tipping their hand yet, it would be a stunner if Ginobili wasn't in uniform come Wednesday. Although he likely won't be 100 percent, the Spurs are in a must-win spot. Note that the injury is to Ginobili's non-shooting elbow.

Twitter

JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald

by johnhollinger

Pop calls Manu game-time decision. Admits Manu will not be 100%. Decision comes down to whether injured Manu helps or hurts chances to win.

I know for certain if we had Manu game 1 we win. The things he does on the court is just incredible.....

Just like I know for certain if we had Rudy, we would win this series in 4 or 5. :glasses:

Great game last night. Hope the Spurs are ready for what's coming at them Saturday night.

Just like I know for certain if we had Rudy, we would win this series in 4 or 5. :glasses:

Great game last night. Hope the Spurs are ready for what's coming at them Saturday night.

Didn't we beat you guys both times when you had Rudy? You guys are better without him ;-)