Chauncey Billups has strained left knee

ChosenOne

Chauncey Billups has strained left knee, Knicks guard may not be able to play vs. Celtics in Game 2

BOSTON - The Knicks lost Game 1 and may have lost their starting point guard as well.

Chauncey Billups, limping noticeably following the Celtics' 87-85 victory, suffered a strained left knee in the final minute.

"I'm in a lot of pain right now," Billups said. "That's to be expected. If I can get out there and help any I'll be out there. We'll just have to see."

Billups said he felt his knee buckle as he went up for a layup with 1:20 remaining. He appeared to be fouled by Boston's Jermaine O'Neal and went hard to the floor.

After staying on the floor for a few seconds, Billups got up slowly, had to be helped off the court and instead of going to the bench, went straight to the locker room.

"As I took off, my leg buckled on me," Billups added. "The doctors said it's just a strain. Hopefully, that's it. We'll check it out and hopefully I can get back as soon as possible."

Billups will have the knee examined Monday to determine if there is any structural damage. The timing of the injury is bad on many levels. It seems unlikely that Billups, a 2004 NBA Finals MVP, will be available for Tuesday's Game 2.

Moreover, Billups, who came to the Knicks as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal, has a $14 million option that the Knicks have to decide on five days after their season concludes.

The club has already given the 34-year-old point guard a verbal guarantee that he will be back. But that could change depending on the severity of the injury.

Billups scored 10 points on 3-for-11 shooting with four assists and three turnovers. He did hit a 3-pointer with 4:15 remaining that gave the Knicks a 78-75 lead.

NYDaileyNews

They lost their starting chucker...holy [expletive] did he get me pissed yesterday chucking up random threes with like 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Yeah, he's been doing that all series. Glad some are starting to notice.

He gets away with it because he's "Big Shot Billups..." (I dive into this more in my thread on Billups found from 3-4 weeks ago in the NY Knicks section of the forum)

Anyway, we still need him to have any chance. There's no depth at Guard, so when he goes out that inevitably means more minutes for Anthony Carter. I like Carter for 10-15 minuets per game, but anything more is a total disaster.