Report: Adelman out as Rockets coach

Nitro

Rick Adelman, who led the Rockets to their only playoff series win in 17 years and a franchise record 22-game winning streak, will not return as Rockets coach, a person with knowledge of the decision said Monday.

After consecutive seasons in which the Rockets failed to reach the playoffs, Adelman and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey failed to reach agreements on how they would continue to work together.

In four seasons with the Rockets, Adelman had a 193-135 record, the best winning percentage (.588) of any coach in franchise history. He moved to eighth in NBA history in career coaching wins with 945.

LINK

WojYahooNBA

Adelman was troubled that organization wouldn't offer an extension during season. Two names to watch for job: Mike Brown and Stan Van Gundy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stan has job in Orlando but if he becomes available after playoffs, he's held in high regard within Rockets. Jeff still lives in Houston.

Others believe Rockets want to go unconventional and try to unearth the next big coaching star. Well, who doesn't? Easier said than done.

http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfinder.com/files/2009/11/Butler-coach-Brad-Stevens.jpg

Edit: more updates

Expect the Rockets to grant interviews to assistants Elston Turner and Jack Sikma, source says. Both are considered future head coaches.

Also one clutchfans poster heard Randy McIlvoy on channel 2 say that Mario Elie is another candidate.

Edited by Dash

I knew this would happen even though I pretty much disagree with what the GM did. I don't think they should of fire Rick Adelman. He's been a good coach for the Rockets! He made the Rockets the hardest working team in the league and he was the reason why they made the playoffs last year. Also, I really don't know who the Rockets are now going to get

I knew this would happen even though I pretty much disagree with what the GM did. I don't think they should of fire Rick Adelman. He's been a good coach for the Rockets! He made the Rockets the hardest working team in the league and he was the reason why they made the playoffs last year. Also, I really don't know who the Rockets are now going to get

LMFAO Rockets did not make the playoffs last year. Anyways he was a good coach for the Rockets though.

• Owner

Not surprised, but that's just a dumb move. They should've given him at least one more season. I'm not sure if they didn't like the Princeton or what, or if they were mad at his rotations, pissed that he's a former Kings coach and doesn't like him for that (me), but they have to respect what he did for the team he inherited.

Not surprised, but that's just a dumb move. They should've given him at least one more season. I'm not sure if they didn't like the Princeton or what, or if they were mad at his rotations, pissed that he's a former Kings coach and doesn't like him for that (me), but they have to respect what he did for the team he inherited.

Les Alexander is quick to jump off the bandwagon, he did it with Jeff Van Gundy and did it again with Adelman. I guess now he believes he can find the next great coach.

It's not surprising....Les wanted change and Les got change.

If anything I am glad they mutually talked it out now rather than dragging it out and making the organization look even dumber. What sucks is you had players walking out off off-season meetings all saying "bring Adelman back" all that does now is make those players feel like management doesn't give a shit about what they think.

The Rockets are crafty when making moves but they also have a poor handle on commitment, and at the end of the day it has bit them in the ass, and will continueto bite them in the ass.

I don't like this move at all, they better have a damn good replacement.

Any chance that Morey may have over thought this one and ended up making a poor decision?

This is all the owner Les Alexander.

Bring him to Toronto! Houston you're so DUMB LAWL! Also bring Lowry to Toronto!

They aren't that dumb :glasses:

Whoa reports are saying Brad Stevens might join Houston Rockets, blowing up on twitter

I heard no such thing, probably people just speculating or hoping he comes but link?