(False) Shaquille O'Neal out for the playoffs after he fails conditioning test, considering retirement

*Swish*

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_shaquille_oneal.jpg

IamaGM: In what would be a crippling blow to their chances of winning a title, the Celtics are going forward as if the affable center won't be returning to team for the playoffs, according to an NBA source.

The Celtics came to this conclusion after Shaq failed to complete one simple sprint up and down the court during a "conditioning test" on Saturday, before he limped off the court in Waltham.

"If he were to come back, it would have to be a miraculous recovery," said the source, who requested anonymity. "And at his age (he turned 39 on March 6) and physical condition, the Celtics have planned accordingly."

While Shaq has another year remaining in his contract, the source said retirement is all but a certainty after the numerous injuries this season.

I'm actually very sad to hear these news. Even though he's been very slow and all, he's a very funny player and a big presence in the paint. Celtics don't look like they're missing him in the playoffs since they're playing the New York Knicks who have no real legit center but when they'll face teams who have more length, they'll be pretty much screwed. The only reason I want him to retire is to make the TNT overtime halftime show more interesting and funnier.

Edited by *Swish*

"I know that's not true," Rivers said. "He's going to play. I just don't know when." It's hard to see Shaq coming back for the first round with the Celtics up 2-0 on the Knicks, and at the moment his timetable remains unclear.

http://www.csnne.com/04/20/11/Rivers-refutes-report-that-Shaq-is-done-/landing.html?blockID=507782&feedID=3352

I never heard of IamaGM but its bull.

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Wednesday that the team's medical staff informed him that center Shaquille O'Neal has shown "some improvement" in his recovery from a right Achilles/calf injury that has limited him to 5½ minutes of game action since Feb. 1, and suggested that if O'Neal travels with the team to New York on Thursday, it might be an indication that he could be back on the floor as early as Game 4 of an Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against the Knicks.

The team tried last Saturday before Game 1 to get O'Neal on the floor to simulate a pregame warm-up and he couldn't get through the opening running portion without experiencing soreness. They scrapped the test completely before Game 2, but remain encouraged that more time will eventually allow O'Neal to return to action.

"He's going to try to [get on the court Thursday]," said Rivers. "I just don't see it. I'm just going to be a real doctor right now and say I doubt it. He's going to try to do something [Thursday] and we'll see.

"He’s had some improvement, but I don’t know how much. I’m just going by what [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] and [team physician Dr. Brian] McKeon tell me. They thought he’s had some improvement."

O'Neal has been sporting a new brace for his lower right leg, but has also walked with a noticeable limp in recent days. He stuck his head out from the trainer's room doors as media were on the court for Wednesday's availability, but quickly disappeared behind closed doors.

Rivers said he's uncertain if O'Neal will travel Thursday, but noted that the team's typical history is bringing players on the road when they are nearing a return. O'Neal traveled with the team to New York in late March, then returned to game action against the Detroit Pistons on April 3 before suffering a calf strain that immediately put him back on the shelf.

"I'm not sure yet [if Shaq will travel]," said Rivers. "It depends on what's best. If he's closer to playing -- you know how we’ve done it -- if you see him on the trip he’s really close."

While timelines have often been extended with O'Neal, Rivers was asked flat out if he expects the 39-year-old center to play in the postseason and he reaffirmed that belief by simply saying, "Yes."

Rivers then reiterated that he didn't think O'Neal would play in Friday's Game 3, but suggested travel would be a good sign for any game after that.

"If he goes on the trip, that means we think he'll play that Sunday," said Rivers.

O'Neal appeared in 37 games for the Celtics this season, plagued by injuries to the right side of the body, particularly the knee, calf, and Achilles. On Saturday, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and McKeon held a brief press conference stressing that O'Neal is working hard, but that time is the only remedy to alleviate the soreness that is preventing him from returning to action.

http://espn.go.com/blog/BostonCeltics/post/_/id/4683157/shaqwatch-travel-will-indicate-progress

IMAGM is very good. its faster than RealGM to get the news and they don't invent stuff.

Just because its faster doesn't make it credible.

It is don't worry. even on RealGm sometimes there are news that end up not being true

Every news outlet picks up a few bullshit stories every now and then, some do it more than less. In this case realgm was smart enough to not pick up on a story they didn't deem credible.

Regardless Twitter > all

I always liked Shaq off the court but despised him as a player for no reason other than all of those title runs he made with the Lakers... I HATE those early 2000's Lakers so much. That being said I don't want to see him go out like this, if in fact he doesn't play again this season. I can't see him returning and I don't no who would want a 40-year old center. Just retire Shaq and enjoy being on tv.

Lmao that site looks fake as [expletive]. Just look at the way it is poorly designed.

Oh god my eyes. That banner...my eyes...

Shaq may not play in the first round, but if the Celtics go far I'm sure he'll suit up.

• Like 1