Casting call for next Rockets coach will be deep

Dash

[...] This time, Alexander and general manager Daryl Morey will issue a much larger casting call, from veteran head coaches to young assistants.

They began the process by requesting permission on Tuesday and Wednesday to speak with a long list of candidates not knowing quite where it will take them, with a roll call of candidates as long as the list of qualifications they will seek.

Beginning next week, Morey will interview Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma and former Rockets forward Mario Elie, an assistant in Sacramento, and plans to speak with former head coaches Mike Brown and Mike Woodson.

The Rockets are interested in a long list of assistants, including San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, New Orleans' Michael Malone, the Los Angeles Clippers' Dean Demopoulos, Philadelphia's Quin Snyder and Memphis' Dave Joeger, along with former head coaches Lawrence Frank, an assistant in Boston, and Dwane Casey, an assistant in Dallas. The Rockets will seek a meeting with the Lakers' Brian Shaw if he is not named the successor to Phil Jackson in Los Angeles.

Yet despite plans to speak to far more candidates than in the previous two searches combined, they know what they are hoping to find.

As with Morey's description of the players he wants, they will seek a coach on the rise and particularly with a determination to grow on the job. They will not, however, want someone who will need on-the-job training, instead seeking a coach with the experience to be in charge immediately and handle early rough spots.

They will want someone with Rudy Tomjanovich's hunger to learn, innovate and develop young talent; Jeff Van Gundy's determination to work until eyes bleed with an emphasis on preparation; and Adelman's infectious confidence through years of success.

Candidates can come in a variety of forms.

[...]

The track records of coaches jumping from the colleges has been shoddy at best, though in many cases, that could be because of factors that would not be in play.

[...]

Still, it is certain the Rockets will not look at college coaches with no NBA coaching experience.

Just as certain is that they won't hurry through their long list. Interviews will begin next week. Several teams with candidates working with playoff teams would allow their assistant coaches to interview during a break in the series, but others will ask the Rockets to wait. And the Rockets will wait long enough to see if other candidates become available.

The goals are clear. But with the Rockets seeking so many qualities, it is little wonder why they have such a long list of candidates to consider.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7531029.html

Good to hear that the Rockets are going to be aggressive, I'm sure Morey is tired of all the hate he's been getting over the past few days and wants to prove that he knows what he's doing again to the fanbase.

The Houston Rockets have formally requested permission to interview Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey for their coaching vacancy, according to sources close to the situation.

The Mavericks, sources said, will grant that permission but have told the Rockets that they'd like to delay the interview until after Dallas' first-round series with Portland at the earliest so as not to disrupt the team's playoff preparations.

Sources said that Casey is one of the more serious candidates on a long list of potential Houston targets to replace Rick Adelman, which stems partly from the Rockets' high regard for Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle. Casey came to Dallas with Carlisle to run the Mavs' defense starting with the 2008-09 season after posting a record of 53-69 in 1½ seasons as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The 54-year-old Casey has been waiting for second shot at a top job since being dismissed by Minnesota with a record of 20-20 during the 2006-07 season. He narrowly missed out on coaching jobs last summer with the Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Clippers and ranks as one of the league's most highly rated assistants.

The Houston Chronicle reported in Thursday's editions that the Rockets already have established contact with two other high-profile available coaches -- Mike Woodson and former Cavaliers coach/current ESPN NBA analyst Mike Brown -- and have interviews scheduled next week with former Mavericks assistant Mario Elie (now with Sacramento) and current Rockets assistant Jack Sikma.

Sources say that the Rockets will not rush their search, however, to allow for the possibility that candidates not currently available -- such as Orlando's Stan Van Gundy -- could suddenly hit the market like Adelman did, depending on what happens in the playoffs.

Other assistants whose teams are still in the playoffs, such as Boston's Lawrence Frank and San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer, also are expected to draw interest from the Rockets. The Chronicle reported that Houston also has interest in longtime Lakers assistant Brian Shaw if Shaw is not chosen by LA to replace the outgoing Phil Jackson.

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6402661

Yeah but Adelman is on the verge of retiring, with a young squad like this we need a younger coach who will stay

Pretty much. Its time to tank rebuild.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/kevin.jpg

Kevin McHale will interview for the Houston Rockets coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

McHale, who had two different tenures as Minnesota Timberwolves coach and served as the franchise’s general manager, has been working as a television analyst for the past two years.

The Rockets and McHale are still working on setting a date for the meeting, presumably around McHale’s playoff broadcasting responsibilities, a source said.

Houston’s casting a wide net to find a replacement for Rick Adelman. GM Daryl Morey has a list of interview candidates that includes ex-Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, Dallas assistant Dwane Casey, Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson, Washington assistant Sam Cassell(notes) and Houston assistant Jack Sikma.

McHale is expected to be in the running for the Boston Celtics coaching job, too, if Doc Rivers declines to sign a contract extension.

As head coach in 2005 and 2009 for the ‘Wolves, McHale had a 39-55 record.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_mchale_interview_houston_rockets_coaching_job_042611

HOUSTON - Add former Houston Rockets guard Sam Cassell to the list of candidates who will interview to become the Rockets next head coach.

League sources told FOX 26 Sports Cassell will meet with Rockets officials next week.

He just completed his second year as an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110426-sam-cassell-to-meet-with-rockets#ixzz1KgQQbIsq

:(

I hope he doesn't leave, he's building a great coach-player relationship with Wall and from what I've been reading, he's really helped John progress as a player.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110426-sam-cassell-to-meet-with-rockets#ixzz1KgQQbIsq

:(

I hope he doesn't leave, he's building a great coach-player relationship with Wall and from what I've been reading, he's really helped John progress as a player.

I definitely won't be watching any Rockets games with Cassel's ugly ass jumping up n down the sidelines.

Some more news:

Rockets set to interview Lawrence Frank

A league source confirmed yesterday that the Houston Rockets have received permission from the Celtics to interview Lawrence Frank for their vacant head coach position.

The Celtics assistant coach declined comment, saying that his focus is on the playoffs and the Miami Heat in particular.

But Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, a former executive with the Celtics, is casting a wide net in his search for Rick Adelman’s successor. The Rockets reportedly are set to interview Kevin McHale and Sam Cassell next week, and have also targeted former head coaches like Mike Woodson and Mike Brown.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1334334&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bostonherald%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2Fceltics+%28Boston+Celtics+-+Celtics+%26+NBA+-+BostonHerald.com%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Rockets hold 7 hour meeting with Mike Woodson.

HOUSTON - Former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson met with Houston Rockets officials for seven hours Thursday during an interview session at Toyota Center that included a lunch break.

Woodson becomes the first known former NBA head coach to interview to become the next head coach of the Rockets.

Woodson was the head coach of the Hawks for six years.

After winning 13 games during his first season, the Hawks became the seventh team in NBA history to improve their record for five consecutive years.

Woodson also led Atlanta to three straight appearances in the playoffs.

"I thought it went extremely well," Woodson said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "It was a good meeting. We started at 10:00 and it just got done (5 p.m.). "Had a chance to sit with (Rockets general manager) Daryl Morey and his staff."

"I thought it was fantastic."

Woodson said the length of the interview gave him a chance to really express his opinions.

"When you sit in front of someone for six or seven hours you get a chance to feel each other out and learn a little bit more about who I am as a coach, some of my views on coaching from a defensive standpoint and an offensive standpoint," Woodson said.

Woodson is thankful the Rockets consider him a candidate for their job."

"The fact they are giving me an opportunity to come in and interview for the job means a great deal to me," Woodson said.

"I've been sitting a year, hungry to get back to coaching. I think I have something to offer as a coach. They had a lot to say. I had a lot to say. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it."

"It's a great run organization and I would love to be a part of it."

The Rockets are also known to have interviewed Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Kelvin Sampson, Sacramento Kings assistant coach Mario Elie and Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma.

The Rockets are not commenting on their search process.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/110428-woodson%3A-rockets-interview-was-fantastic

Mike Budenholzer says he prefers to stay in San Antonio than take Rockets head coaching job.

Prefers the Spurs: Although his name has been mentioned for the head coaching vacancy that opened this week in Golden State, as well as the Rockets’ job left vacant on April 18, Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer on Friday said he prefers to remain in San Antonio.

“I’d prefer not to say anything and just keep my name out of it as much as possible,” Budenholzer said of the speculation that he will be a candidate for head coaching jobs.

“It’s hard to explain. I’m very flattered and it’s something I want to do someday, but for right now, I’ve decided the best thing for me and my family is to stay in San Antonio.

“That could change at some time, but for the foreseeable future that’s how I feel, and that’s how I’ve felt for the last little while.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/29/loss-leaves-mcdyess-hurting/

Disappointing, I thought Bud would be one of the top candidates for the job.

• 2 weeks later...