Tristan Thompson leaves Texas

Universe

After just one year in the NCAA, power forward Tristan Thompson has decided to leave the University of Texas and declare for the NBA draft.

Thompson projects as a mid- to late-round pick and could become the first Canadian drafted in the first round since Jamaal Magloire in 2000. He was named a first-team freshman All-American after averaging 13.1 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks per game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1852&line=159915&spln=1

Good decision, he will probably be close to a lotto pick in this draft opposed to probably a mid-late first next year (unless he had a really good year). Too bad Tristan wasn't a couple inches taller, he might not be able to overcome his size to be a productive rebounder in the NBA, but he is athletic and a good shotblocker so someone will definitely take a flyer on him.

He's an interesting prospect.

A great defender, decent rebounder, but has a terrible offensive skillset. He doesn't have much of a postgame, and doesn't have a shot. The first time I saw him play, I was surprised at his ability to defend 3's and 4's, so he may be a solid addition to a team picking late in the lotto or late in the teens.

I thought Thompson was going to stay at Texas with Hamilton. I was hoping they would have brought a national championship to Texas but oh well I'm glad he declared. This may actually make the draft a little more interesting he has alot of potential, upside, and is very athletic. Very good shot blocker and defender. He's very raw offensively though but he can improve that with a couple of years in the league.

Edited by htownborn

As much as I wanted to see him, Joseph and Kabongo play together at Texas next season, he would be a fool to not declare once Sullinger, Barnes and P. Jones all decided to go back to school. He went from probably the 6th best forward prospect to arguably the 2nd best forward prospect behind Derrick Williams (depending on what you think about Terrence Jones). His stock skyrocketed simply because of players deciding against entering the draft and he went from being a projected 20-25th overall pick to quite possibly a top 10 pick depending on how workouts go.

Smart move on his part.

Cory Joesph declaring for the draft? Not such a good decision. He isn't hiring an agent and I fully expect him to go back to Texas for his second season as he still needs a lot of work on his game. I'd be shocked if he doesn't withdraw by May 8th.