Odom or Sheed

kingfish

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Odom. No contest really.

Sheed plays PF or C, and has never had even a 9 rebound per game season. Lamar is a beast on the glass. Their scoring outputs throughout their careers have been very similar per 48 minutes. Lamar>>>Sheed, even though I don't like either lol I have to admit that.

Edited by I Changed My Name

• Owner

A few years ago, it was Sheed. He could've been the best power forward in the NBA if his attitude wasn't in the gutter.

But Odom has him today, and at this point, he's probably twice the player Sheed is.

Odom now and always Odom. Odom is probably the most talented 6'10 player in the entire league. He is literally capable of playing any of the 5 positions. Odom is the guy you are always taking if you have to pick between the two as a role player on your team. Only other SF type of player, although many say he is a PF but take your pick, is LeBron James. Probably the two best passing forwards in the game.

I've always been a huge fan of Odom's, and I know a few Laker fans who really neglect him and under appreciate him and it pisses me off because he does so many good things but all people can focus on is his "inconstancy" which I fail to see but whatever.

Sheed will have had a better overall career and is better in his prime than Odom, but Odom is much more agile and isn't as one-dimensional offensively as Sheed in that Sheed takes so many threes now and Odom can drive to the basket and he has more intangibles.

• Owner

but all people can focus on is his "inconstancy" which I fail to see but whatever.

Post I made a while back...

I don't think you guys are aware of how inconsistent Odom was, and how much he hurt us. We are fortunate that Lamar's 42.9% FG against the Nuggets in the WCF didn't cost us the series. We are fortunate that his 8 PPG and 9 RPG average didn't cost us against the Rockets, especially after fouling out in Game 6 and dropping just six points in the deciding Game 7. We are fortunate that Odom's 40.9% FG (9-22), two total assists and three turnovers in the final two games of the NBA Finals didn't hurt us against the Magic.

Anyone remember Lamar going 20-61 FG in seven consecutive games going into March? How about 8-26 in six consecutive games leading into December? How about fouling out three times in the month of March, two of those games playing 24 minutes or less?

That's inconsistency...very similar to the things he was doing in our starting five last year and the year before, which is why he is now our sixth man.

But he still shot over 50% from the field and 50% from 3 over the course of the playoffs. The guy put up 12-9, almost a double double off the bench, off over 50% from the field and 3 and add to that a block and a half with less than 2 steals in over 30 minutes. How do you scoff at that? How do you call that "inconsistent"? Of course you can pinpoint specific games where Odom didn't show up, but you can do that for anyone really. I think his mishaps are blown out of proportion because he is playing on the team under probably the biggest microscope in the NBA as they have the most fans and are probably the most popular team.

The way some people used to talk like he hurts the Lakers was disgusting. He is one of the most efficient players in the entire league.

• Owner

But he still shot over 50% from the field and 50% from 3 over the course of the playoffs. The guy put up 12-9, almost a double double off the bench, off over 50% from the field and 3 and add to that a block and a half with less than 2 steals in over 30 minutes. How do you scoff at that? How do you call that "inconsistent"? Of course you can pinpoint specific games where Odom didn't show up, but you can do that for anyone really. I think his mishaps are blown out of proportion because he is playing on the team under probably the biggest microscope in the NBA as they have the most fans and are probably the most popular team.

The way some people used to talk like he hurts the Lakers was disgusting. He is one of the most efficient players in the entire league.

You are using the wrong definition of inconsistency.

You ever seen Zach Randolph play? He averages 21/10 on almost 48% from the field. What do you think about him?

Players can be inconsistent and still put up good numbers. Odom is a "per quarter" player. He'll do you good for a quarter or two, then do nothing for the other couple. One game he's Garnett, and the next he's Darius Miles.

That's inconsistency, and that's why he doesn't deserve any more than the $8 million he's getting from us.

It's not so much the stats but the impact LO has on the game that counts. He may put up pretty stats, but how much does that really influence the game? For an example, he may start out and score 14 points in the first half, and end up with 18 points total. That's not a bad scoring output, but when you score the majority of your points in the first half, and then disappear and turn Casper in the second half, that's inconsistency. My main problem with LO is that he drifts off during games. When focused and motivated, LO really does play like an allstar. But that doesn't happen too often. That being said, his current role, coming off the bench and backing up Drew/Pau is perfect for him IMO. But even then, he makes you scratch your head sometimes. He may seem like an allstar one day, and then the very next day, get dominated by Carl Landry (happened in the playoffs).

As for the question, gimme LO over the current Rasheed Wallace any day of the week. I'd probably take Sheed's former teammate, McDyess over him as well.

Odom can have 17 and 10 one night, and the next night have 5 and 3. Thats what makes him inconsistent. If a guy gets 50 points one night and 0 points every other night, but averages 25 ppg in a season, does that make him consistent? No, but even you would take him on your team if it meant he was the 4th-5th option every night.

Edited by kingfish

• 2 weeks later...

wow. i'd pick sheed. if you are going by primes than sheed blows odom out the water. if you are going by right now, then yeah maybe odom could edge him out, but sheed's skillset makes him so valuable to me. among nba fans its known that sheed could have been one of the greatest pf's ever, and in his prime i think he was one of the best in the league. his jumpshot was unguardable, he could play in the post, on the perimeter, and shutdown or halt other teams big men. it doesn't get talked about a lot, but he's a good passer for a big man, and you could count on him mostly every game while odom seems to be a different player sometimes. i don't know odom's field goal percentage or anything like that, but he never seemed like a good shooter to me or consistent scorer. with someone of his dribbling ability, frame, height, weight, and handsize he could be dominant in the post or slashing every night, but isn't.

i don't really care that odom can play point forward or anything either, thats why teams have pgs....

Edited by billt chamberlain

i just don't see how people say odom is more versatile than sheed, and all he really has over him is the ability to dribble good. i mean most big men are horrible with running up and down a floor, but with sheed's hand size, weight and speed i think he could handle teh rock similar to odom if it was asked of him, but he plays more like a big man first than guard, instead of a guard first than big man.

sheed is the better shooter

defender

post player

perimeter player

has a way better iq imo

I'm really surprised that this is a blowout, and I thought it would be very close.

Regardless of Rasheed Wallace being on the Boston Celtics, I just think he is a better player.

Even before he was signed by the Boston Celtics, he was probably my 2nd favorite PF/C behind Amare Stoudemire,

Also, for the idiot that said Lamar Odom is and always has been better....what the hell are you on?!?!?!?!?!

I think it was Charles Barkley that said this, but I could be wrong, that he thought Rasheed Wallace was the most talented PF he has ever seen, and that's saying something.