Golden State Fires Coach Keith Smart

The Golden State Warriors have informed Head Coach Keith Smart that he will not be retained for the 2011-12 season, the team announced today. Smart, who was named head coach of the Warriors on September 27, 2010, led Golden State to a 36-46 record during the recently-completed 2010-11 NBA season.

“It’s never easy to make difficult decisions, especially when it involves someone that we have a great deal of respect for like Keith Smart,” said Warriors Owner Joe Lacob. “After meeting extensively with Larry Riley and Bob Myers, we came to the conclusion that a change was necessary at this particular time. I think Keith did an admirable job this season and he should be commended for many of the positive things that transpired both on and off the floor. The team showed improvement and their effort was never in question. However, we’ve elected to pursue a new path and we wish Keith the very best. He’s a quality person and we thank him for the time he invested with our organization.”

Source

Thank God.

• Owner

Good decision, but it's going to take more to get back into playoff contention. Golden State has some work to do. They need to seek a defensive-minded coach, figure out what they are going to do about their frontcourt issues, and make it clear who's going to run the offense.

I love this for the Warriors. I think they should get a defensive mind set kind of coach. I think the Warriors are a great offensive team with Ellis, Curry, Lee who could all become all stars (Lee has been one already). They just need a good defensive coach