Grade your team's picks

htownborn

The draft is now over and we can take time to analyze our teams picks.

For the most part I like what the Texans did. I know alot of people may hate the addition of adding Watt but I actually thought he was a good pick. He's not a very flashy pick but he's a hardworker with a high motor. Not to mention he's around the same size as Mario and much younger than Antonio Smith. I think he will be good for the future. I don't know much about Brooks Reed but from what I hear he has the makings of being another Clay Matthews, I hope that's the truth. And we added much needed depth to our secondary with Harris, Carmichael, and Keo. They also added depth at other positions with Yates, Newton, and Ozougwu. Overall I give the Texans a draft grade of a B+ they upgraded the D pretty well in this draft still may have some holes here and there Winthrop defense but it should be much improved than it was last season.

Edited by htownborn

I like the Derrick Sherrod pickup because we're thin in terms of depth at tackle but the best pick we made was by far Randall Cobb. He's another explosive weapon who's gonna play multiple positions for us and maybe even add a Wildcat dimension to our offense. He'll also be our return guy right off the bat as well.

Wonder if you'll be able to tell how much I liked this draft..

1. Prince Amukamara - A+

Top 10 talent falls all the way to 19. Fits as a nickel in year one, could be a starter by next year. Tremendous value, great instincts, and will hopefully be a great player.

2. Marvin Austin - A

"Questionable Character", aka taking jewelry from an agent and getting pulled over with tint and his music too loud. He was touted as a mid-1st after the 2009 season, more great value here. He'll have a chance to play this year, especially if Cofield walks. Gap shooter fits well alongside Linval.

3. Jerrell Jernigan - A

More great value, he was a 2nd round projection by a lot of people. He'll likely return some this year, and can step in as a slot threat if Steve Smith misses time. Tough young kid, he's electric in the open field, and has been compared to a Welker-type.

4. James Brewer - A

More great value, another guy who had a late 2nd round tag from some people. He's raw and needs time to develop, which is fine.. we have Diehl and McKenzie for at least another year. 6'6 and 300+ with long arms can't be taught, nor can his athleticism (was a basketball player in high school.. why he's raw).

6. Greg Jones - A

More tremendous value.. no clue how he's there late in the 6th. Great production in college, the kid loves to hit. Maybe a bit undersized? In any event, getting a guy who'll battle for a starting spot in the 6th round is great.

7. Tyler Sash - A

Not great athleticism or size, but this kid ALWAYS seems to be around the ball. 13 INTs in 3 years for Iowa, he'll probably be our 4th safety and contribute on specials. Deon Grant type.

8. Jacquian Williams - B-

B- because he is a relative unknown. Dismissed by many scouts and teams because he played his college ball around 216 lbs. Came to the Giants workout at 235, and was still able to maintain his great speed. Went to JUCO with JPP, and then went to USF.. crazy similar stories. Not a lock, but I like his tape and that he was willing to put on so much weight in muscle to make a club.

9. Da'Rel Scott - A

More value. Burner. Has 3rd down back upside, with electrifying speed and solid hands.

• Like 2

I came when I heard Eagles drafted Alex Henery...best kicking prospect in a long time, a perfect heir to replace Akers.

Also loved the Watkins and Matthews picks. Not too familiar with the other picks so can't really comment on those.

Overall...A-

These are my grades for the Packers picks.

1. Derek Sherrod - B+

I like the pick as we're somewhat limited at the tackle position. He's going to be Clifton's replacement and should help protect our Super Bowl MVP, Aaron Rodgers. He's athletic for his size and I don't think he'll have a problem performing. What you see is what you get from him.

2. Randall Cobb - A

This was my favorite pick of our draft. He has countless dimensions to his game. While he isn't super tall or exceptionally fast, he knows how to use the skill set that he has. With Donald Driver approaching retirement we are going to need to find his replacement. I like Nelson as a #3 slot receiver and Jones hasn't proven that he's capable of being a consistent starter. I believe that Cobb will be able to step in and be a threat for our offense. Also, he'll be able to return which is an area in which we struggled last year. While he may not get many reps as a receiver this year, I fully expect him to be our main return man throughout the season.

3. Alexander Green - B

He's a running back who is good at catching balls out of the backfield. He will fit in perfectly with a pass-happy offense and will allow us to spread the field more. With Grant's injury issues it's sometimes uncertain how our running game will produce. With Brandon Jackson heading to free agency, it looks like we'll have Grant, Starks, and Green getting most of the carries. With some work, I think Green could be a great 3rd down back, something we thought Jackson would be.

4. Davon House - B-

We're pretty much set at the cornerback position for next season but with Charles Woodson getting up there in age, it was necessary to get a young guy to potentially one day fill his place. He probably won't get much action this year unless there's some injuries, but he may end up being a solid player in a few years.

5. DJ Williams - C

I didn't really understand this pick to be honest. We have a great tight end in Finley who should be fine coming back from his injury. We also have Quarless who isn't anything special but can fill in at times. This may end up being a steal if another injury occurs, but as of now with Finley coming back I felt as if other needs should have been addressed first.

6. Caleb Schlauderaff - C+

It's always nice to have extra bodies that could be used to protect your quarterback. I doubt if he'll be able to play at all this season but he provides some depth and may be able to work himself into the line in the future.

7. DJ Smith - B+

With our outside linebacker position up in the air I really liked this pick. I think he can step in day 1 and play in our 3-4 defense opposite of Clay Matthews. The linebacker is a position that you can never have too many bodies at and Smith should be a good player in our defense. Don't look for him to be the next Matthews but he will certainly be able to hold his own at the NFL level.

8. Rick Elmore - B

Has some value to the team as Pickett and Jenkins are starting to age. Overall nice pick for the spot we grabbed him.

9. Ryan Taylor - D

Again, don't know why we're going for tight ends here. Especially with grabbing Williams with our fifth pick I feel as if there was no need for this pick. Sure, it's always nice to have depth, but when you have one of the best tight ends in the league having three back ups for him is a bit of an overkill.

10. Lawence Guy - C

Added more to our defensive line with our last pick. Can't really go wrong there. I'd be shocked if I ever see him play or turn himself into a starter in the NFL but he's a good insurance pick in case of injuries.

Overall Grade - A-

It's not often that a team goes into the off season with pretty much the same team they finished the season with. It's almost unheard of for a Super Bowl team to be in that situation. However, that's exactly what the Packers faced. With most of our positions covered I felt as if we did a great job of adding depth in many areas. While some of our picks might not see the field for awhile, it's always nice to have some insurance behind some of our aging players.

• Like 1

Liked the Eagles picking up Watkins, he should start immediately and provide much needed help on the line to protect Vick.

Our 2nd rounder from Temple might start for us if Mikell leaves in free agency, and apparently Reid thinks he's a terrific tackler, so I'm sort of excited to see him play.

Glad we picked up a cornerback in the 3rd round even though I don't know anything about him.

We drafted a kicker in the 4th so that likely means a bittersweet goodbye for David Akers.

All in all I think we had a decent draft, but just like every year you can't judge until these guys actually hit the field. I'll give us a B. I wish we traded up earlier to snatch a cornerback, but with free agency still looming anything can happen. I hope we can sign Aso :P

Edited by The Artesticle

• Owner

Al Davis sucks. How's that for a grade?

We needed help against the run. We needed a QB. Obviously, Davis doesn't care.

Why did we draft Taiwan Jones? Oh, because he's fast.

Demarcus Van Dyke? Because he's a speed demon.

Chimdi Chekwa? Super fast.

Denarius Moore? One of the fastest players we could find in Round 5.

I'm cool with Stefen Wisniewski as long as he turns out like his uncle, but come on...

I hate Al Davis.

I'm cool with Stefen Wisniewski as long as he turns out like his uncle, but come on...

I hate Al Davis.

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded/images/2011/2/al-davis-2/lightbox/Al%20Davis.jpg

I hate Al Davis.

At least you have the Lakers to root for.

KristinCav Kristin Cavallari

Yay we got an offensive lineman!!! Go bears

28 Apr

Carimi: A+ We got lucky that he fell this far. I would have been happy with Constanzo or Carimi falling to us.

Paea: A I also thought of him more as a run stuffing NT than an UT, but if he can be our Harris replacement than I will be stoked. We really lacked a push in the middle last season. Hopefully the combo of Melton and Paea can get us some pocket collapsing.

Conte: F+- I wanted a guard prospect in the 3rd round. Especially against the talented Lions DTs. You can normally get some quality OG in the middle rounds. I also believe that this was a bit of a reach according to many draft boards.

Enderle: F- I understand wanting a QB to develop, but we have so many other needs and already have Jay Cutler.

JT Thomas: B Good value and late developmental prospect for the pick. He needs to build upper body strength, but has range, coverage skills and good technique. NFL strength and conditioning can build up his body.

I am a huge Watkins fan. I dig the pick, it's just a bit weird considering he has a huge head start towards the Eagles "cut everybody when they hit age 30" philosophy. The consensus seems to be that the Eagles reached with the Temple kid and they probably could have waited for him in the 3rd round, but I have no idea so I will not comment. I just think it is cool that they drafted a kid out of Temple. With Mikell probably gone, it is a position of need also. I am also happy that they bit the bullet and drafted Henery rather early. Sad that Akers is gone, but at least they got the best possible replacement.

Overall, I don't really have any complaints with this draft. I also do not know shit about any of the guys we got in the 5th-7th rounds, so I won't comment on them. Seems like a lot of Eagles fans can't get around the fact that Danny Watkins is 26 years old, and as a result they are labeling the entire draft a failure. This is stupid. The Eagles addressed several major areas of need. I also liked how basically every guy they picked is from a major college program. Much higher chance of success than with their old philosophy of drafting D-2 and D-3 projects.

I LOVED that the Jets got Wilkerson. That was a big one to me. I didn't really like the pick of Ellis though. And the Jets waited too long to address the WR position. If Edwards and Holmes both leave when/if free agency starts, the Jets are gonna be screwed. I also didn't understand the Jets picking a running back in the middle rounds.

All things told, I give the Jets' draft a C+, but that's sort of inflated by Wilkerson.

I am a huge Watkins fan. I dig the pick, it's just a bit weird considering he has a huge head start towards the Eagles "cut everybody when they hit age 30" philosophy. The consensus seems to be that the Eagles reached with the Temple kid and they probably could have waited for him in the 3rd round, but I have no idea so I will not comment. I just think it is cool that they drafted a kid out of Temple. With Mikell probably gone, it is a position of need also. I am also happy that they bit the bullet and drafted Henery rather early. Sad that Akers is gone, but at least they got the best possible replacement.

Overall, I don't really have any complaints with this draft. I also do not know shit about any of the guys we got in the 5th-7th rounds, so I won't comment on them. Seems like a lot of Eagles fans can't get around the fact that Danny Watkins is 26 years old, and as a result they are labeling the entire draft a failure. This is stupid. The Eagles addressed several major areas of need. I also liked how basically every guy they picked is from a major college program. Much higher chance of success than with their old philosophy of drafting D-2 and D-3 projects.

Watkins was what, 2nd best at his position on the board? 26 or not, it was an excellent pick.

I love being an Eagles fan, but some of our fellow fans aren't really the smartest.

Watkins was what, 2nd best at his position on the board? 26 or not, it was an excellent pick.

I love being an Eagles fan, but some of our fellow fans aren't really the smartest.

The thing is though, guard is more of a developmental position, which is why you won't see as many guards going early as you do tackles. Most of the starting guards around the league were drafted in the third round or later. So, being that he's 26, it does make sense to be a bit wary. That being said, I've never seen him play, so I don't know how far developed he actually is.