Delfino Unlikely To Sign With Raptors

After acquiring Marco Belinelli from the Warriors, the Raptors appear unlikely to sign Carlos Delfino.

Toronto has roughly $5.1 million left to spend before they surpass the luxury tax threshold and were considering Delfino prior to the trade with Golden State.

The Raptors were believed to be mulling a one-year offer worth approximately $5 million for Delfino.

"The likelihood that he's going to sign here is less," Raptors president Bryan Colangelo said after the recent deal. "Not only is he going to be leaving some money on the table in Europe, but one of the things that was attractive about coming here was that he'd have ample opportunity to play and maybe start and that doesn't appear to be as open now."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60899/20090731/delfino_unlikely_to_sign_with_raptors/

I'm not too concerned. I have never really been a fan of Delfino's and hated his inconsistent chucking two seasons ago. I like his grit and toughness, as well as his decent defense and rebounding from the two guard spot, but there is absolutely no way that I would cave into his ridiculous demands of $5M per season and I sure as well wouldn't be willing to go into the luxury tax, or get extremely close to it, to sign a player like Delfino.

If the Raptors never traded for Belinelli, I would still want Delfino back, but that was only because he really was the only option. He would be the best shooting guard on the team, but it wouldn't be by that much. I'd rather not pay him and just role with a shooting guard rotation of DeRozan, Belinelli and Wright.

Hardly a loss though, I was never a big fan of his and only wanted him back because the Raptors had no other options really.